Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Shooting down gun myths, Muzzle Brakes (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/shooting-down-gun-myths-muzzle-brakes-33236/)

sarge_257 10-19-2010 05:57 AM

Shooting down gun myths, Muzzle Brakes

This is going to be a very controversial post. I expect to get a lot of comments and disagreements. That is OK, I have enough proof to satisfy me.

Shooting down gun myths is one of my favorite things to do. I love it when someone tells me something about guns and then I start asking questions. Very soon I find that the 'fact' is a rumor or a heresay from some one that he does not remember. So here goes.
Muzzle brakes make more noise.

OK now lets think a while. What makes the noise? I think I talked about this before in another forum. The bullet does not make the noise. The powder gas make the noise. So a certain amount of powder gas should produce a certain amount of noise. Right? Of course there are varibles. The size of the barrel caliber will make a difference and the weight of the bullet. Also the burning speed of the powder.
OK so how is holes in the end of the barrel going to produce more noise than a barrel without holes? Does it produce more powder gas? No, the same amount of powder will make the same amount of noise. Does it direct the noise in a different direction. To some extent but when the normal unvented barrel fires the powder gas goes in all directions, not just forward. The vented muzzle brake actually changes some of the energy of the powder gas into forward thrust, so by that, it should have less noise rather than more noise. What do you think?
Heh heh heh
Sarge

AusLach 10-19-2010 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarge_257 (Post 370494)
OK so how is holes in the end of the barrel going to produce more noise than a barrel without holes? Does it produce more powder gas? No, the same amount of powder will make the same amount of noise. Does it direct the noise in a different direction. To some extent but when the normal unvented barrel fires the powder gas goes in all directions, not just forward. The vented muzzle brake actually changes some of the energy of the powder gas into forward thrust, so by that, it should have less noise rather than more noise. What do you think?
Heh heh heh
Sarge

I don't believe that a muzzle brake will make the firearm actually louder, however the noise level perceived by the shooter will probably be increased. Noise and pressure waves that are normally projected forward and away from the shooter are now allowed to escape the barrel in different directions and sometimes back toward the ear of the person behind the trigger.

Don't forget that ported barrels also effectively shorten the barrel length, and this allows more powder to be changed into noise energy instead of mechanical energy which propels the bullet. This translates to more noise.

kenhesr 10-19-2010 07:13 AM

+1 on what Auslach said. Its the redirection of the blast that causes it to be perceived to be louder.

Army Guide - Muzzle Brake

My favorite brake isn't any louder for the shooter, but if you are a couple feet to either side and to the rear of the shooter, it will rock your world!

Big thing is that it really works. At 200 yds with a 40x scope you can watch the 5.56 rd hit the target. The bbl will not move at all!

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...h_brake004.jpg

Good question sarge! :)

zhuk 10-19-2010 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenhesr (Post 370517)

My favorite brake isn't any louder for the shooter, but if you are a couple feet to either side and to the rear of the shooter, it will rock your world!

Big thing is that it really works. At 200 yds with a 40x scope you can watch the 5.56 rd hit the target. The bbl will not move at all!

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...h_brake004.jpg

Good question sarge! :)

^Seeing the round hit the target...that would be an experience. Pity I can't have the chance.

Would like to see this in action...ditto the above :rolleyes:

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_j99tuk1BEXI/TA...brake%20sm.jpg

Shade 10-19-2010 01:29 PM

I will agree with everyone, total noise produced by a firearm with or without
a muzzle brake is the same or close to the same. The difference is where
that noise is directed.

Without a muzzle brake the majority of the sound energy is directed
down range with the bullet. With various muzzle brake, the noise, as
is the majority of gasses, are redirected back in the general direction
of the shooter or observers depending on the design of the muzzle brake.
Therefore observed or percevied noise is louder toward the shooter with a
muzzle brake. If you were stupid enough to observe the noise from a rifle
down range that did not have a muzzle brake it would be similar to that of a
rifle with a muzzle brake from behind the rifle.

Another way to look at it muzzle brakes reduce felt recoil, by using the mass
of the ejected gasses to reduce recoil, will if you are not feeling the recoil
that energy has to go somewhere. The first law of thermodynamics must be
observed; The first law mandates conservation of energy.

JTJ 10-19-2010 01:39 PM

If you are using a muzzel brake on a high power rifle at the range, Please shield the blast from the shooter next to you. Aside from noise you can cause eye damage from the deflected muzzle blast. I had to make a trip to the Opthamologist after a large bore shooter with a muzzle brake moved in next to me. The blast went bhind my glasses.

c3shooter 10-19-2010 01:47 PM

The traditional "arrowhead" muzzle brake on a Barrett will blow your ball cap off. Are we speaking of true muzzle brakes, or flash suppressors?

Shade 10-19-2010 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 370586)
Are we speaking of true muzzle brakes, or flash suppressors?

I was discussing true muzzle brakes. Flash suppressors are completely different animal.

R-BOLT 10-19-2010 03:57 PM

I was hog hunting with some buddies, one had a muzzle brake on his rifle. We came across a hog he wanted, so we set up with me beside him. He shot that hog, and I about wrapped his rifle around his neck. Needless to say he unscrewed the brake and left it off the rest of the hog hunt. I will not hunt with anyone with a muzzle brake on their rifle. My $.02 on brakes.

Fisherking 10-19-2010 03:58 PM

+1 on what ever one else said. The redirection of the gasses and sound will be precived as lowder.
F.K.