Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Shooting from bipod

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2012, 05:26 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default Shooting from bipod

My wife is getting me a bipod for Christmas, and I was looking for some tips shooting from a sitting position (not bench, but Indian style). What do you guys do with your left hand? What about the sling? Do you sit Indian style or with legs extended? Any tips would be great as I have little experience in this position.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-24-2012, 05:45 AM   #2

Liked 860 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I shoot either way w my legs. Usually my sling is wrapped around my left forearm w my hand just behind the bipod. Usually though I sit indian style so I can stamd up quick if I need to.

Old 12-25-2012, 12:45 AM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Thanks, Indian style seems most comfortable to me as well. I was reading on another forum about putting your left hand in your armpit and using it as a sand bag so to speak. Guess I will have to give it all a try and see what works for me.

Old 12-25-2012, 12:48 AM   #4

Liked 860 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalboy26 View Post
Thanks, Indian style seems most comfortable to me as well. I was reading on another forum about putting your left hand in your armpit and using it as a sand bag so to speak. Guess I will have to give it all a try and see what works for me.
Yep. Personal creativity is always the best idea. Ya the armpit thing works....just not for me. I also made a band I wrap around my legs just below my knees w my knees on either side of the gun so I have someplace to rest my elbows solidly to make me that much more stable

Old 12-25-2012, 01:32 AM   #5

Liked 257 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I like to put my elbows right into the meaty creases by my knees. I'm short as hell though, so it may not be for you.

Old 12-25-2012, 01:33 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1009 Times on 701 Posts
Likes Given: 346

Unless you are shooting on concrete you still need to support the gun with your off hand when using a bipod. Away from the bench I almost always shoot from the prone position with a bipod.

I have a walking stick with a fork on top of it. I use it for a shooting stick when deer hunting. I shoot from the kneeling position when using the walking/shooting stick. Often I cut a shooting stick that is the perfect height when I am building the ground blind. In a tree I use the wide nylon milsurp gear belts for support.

If you run into a great deal on small tarps or "space blankets" buy a couple they are really handy for pizza box or paper plate attacks. They usually last several sessions before they get so trashed you toss em. You staple those pizza boxes to a sapling you want to cut down anyway and shoot em. All pizza boxes and paper plates shiver in your presence after just a few examples.

Last edited by John_Deer; 12-25-2012 at 01:52 AM.

Old 12-26-2012, 04:05 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Sitting positions will usually be determined by your body configuration and the terrain.
When I was younger I could get down and place my elbows inside of my knees but as I got stiffer with age I went to the open leg position. I live in the NC mountains which abound with steep hillsides and find that the open leg position, even though it may not be the most ideal sitting position allows me to adjust to the hillside and is easier to maintain.
Just try the three positions and decide which is the most stable and fits your situation. Target shooting may use one position while hunting may require another. Practice with both.
I usually use a bipod from the prone position while shooting sticks are use for other positions. The use of a loop sling should also be considered as it will really help your shooting.

montveil in the NC mountains
Salute
All persons present in uniform should render the military salute. Members of the armed forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute. All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart.

Old 12-26-2012, 04:57 PM   #8

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer
Unless you are shooting on concrete you still need to support the gun with your off hand when using a bipod. .....
What difference does the concrete make and are you talking about supporting the forestock?

I shoot from a bi-pod most of the time and I always support the buttstock with my offhand.

What if there were no hypothetical questions?