Shooting Bench - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Shooting Bench

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2013, 12:36 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1332 Times on 892 Posts
Likes Given: 857

Actually, OP, that looks real good! Looks nice and comfortable.

Questions; Weight? It doesn't look like it comes apart....how easy it it to throw into your truck? It also looks like the top is only bolted on in 1 spot. Does the top flex at all? It appears to be 3/4" plywood.

Old 07-22-2013, 02:52 AM   #22

Liked 99 Times on 65 Posts

The top comes off, the seat and bracket slide off the pole and the legs fold up. The whole thing will fit in a trunk of a car. We have put 30 pounds on the edge of the table where the rifle will rest and have no problems, doesn't stress it all. There is no bounce to the table top in fact when you sit on it and put pressure on the legs this thing is solid. Because the table screws on you can shoot at multiple targets and different distance in different lanes by using your elbows to turn the bench top or you can screw the top down till its snug but either way it doesn't bounce. Thinking about cutting a small rectangle in the bench top and mounting a box under neath it to put the brass in. Wouldn't mind a coffee mug holder either lol
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-22-2013, 03:22 AM   #23

Thanks for the compliments. I'll let you know how it goes when we actualy take it out (good or bad)
KG7IL Likes This 
Old 07-22-2013, 10:08 AM   #24

Liked 1332 Times on 892 Posts
Likes Given: 857

Ahhhh, I see how the top mounts. Cool. And +1 on the box under the table for the brass. That'd be convenient, you could just leave it there until you got home.....

Old 07-22-2013, 10:18 AM   #25

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

The Op's bench does look very nice. I just use a plastic table. Plastic tables are stable on uneven ground and I have room for my range bag. Usually by the time a plastic table is to nasty for the porch it's just right for a shooting bench.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:02 PM   #26

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

All ground is uneven.
You might want too consider short pieces of vertical square tubing or pipe welded to the leg ends with a smaller pipe/tubing insert with a pad on the ends. Drill adjustment holes so you can adjust the heights with a PTO pin ( a 1/4 inch pin with a U shaped retainer available at farm supply stores)
The pads could also incorporate a downward spur for better ground purchase.
They will aid in slippage in soft and/frozen ground.
just some thoughts for your consideration
All persons present in uniform should render the military salute. Members of the armed forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute. All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:03 AM   #27

I appreciate the thought on the legs and I did think about the ground being uneven, that why I went with three legs. I was going to build in adjustable pads into the legs and on the next one I just might. For right now I'm going to put under the legs scrap 1 ft by 1ft plywood because usually where I shoot its more of a sand than dirt plus after shooting off this one I'll know what to change or modify on the next one. If you see something I should change or modify let me know. All ideas are helpful because I've never built one of these.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:17 PM   #28

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I have a less portable wooden bench that I use on my range.
I always had problems with rounds rolling off the top until I put a 3/8 inch lip around the top edge. Also, I had some difficulty with my trigger side elbow sliding until I placed some THIN rubber backed doormat material from my local big box store on the top.
It looks like you are ready to use it in the field.
Like any of my projects, field use will dictate the personal mods that suit you.
I would die for your kind of shop.
All persons present in uniform should render the military salute. Members of the armed forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute. All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart.

Old 07-25-2013, 01:57 AM   #29

Yea your right about the bullets falling off so I decided to insert a pan into the bench top to hold the bullets and empty brass.
forumrunner_20130724_185515.jpg   forumrunner_20130724_185609.jpg   forumrunner_20130724_185704.jpg  

Old 07-25-2013, 02:07 AM   #30
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9081 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

I am dreaming up a semi-portable shooting bench that has a brass-catcher that empties the spent brass into an ammo can. It would be somewhat similar to your bread-pan idea.