Shooting the Barrett M107 .50 Caliber Sniper Rifle

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Shooting the Barrett M107 .50 Caliber Sniper Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2013, 12:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default Shooting the Barrett M107 .50 Caliber Sniper Rifle

Last Thursday as I was participating in training at Asymmetric Solutions in Farmington, Missouri (awesome place!!), I was able to shoot a Barrett .50 Caliber sniper rifle, in fact the M107, the real deal military version of the famous Barrett.

A USAF EOD team was at the facility training, had been for the past couple weeks, and after they were finished for the day blowing up some very serious stuff, and I mean, really serious stuff, they let us take their Barrett out and shoot it.

They just received and we shot rounds 200-215 through it.

It was, and is, simply amazing.

The recoil is really not bad at all, thanks for the massive compensator on the front of the barrel and the heavy springs that absorb a lot of the punishing recoil of a .50 BMG round.

It is a heavy rifle, no doubt about that. You just nestle it tight into your shoulder pocket, get a good cheek weld and it reminded me of shooting a 12 guage with a heavy slug shell.

The noise? If you are shooting the rifle, not bad at all. I had 33db foam plugs in my ear and Peltor electronic muffs on, so no issue shooting it. The real noise comes when you are standing anywhere to the side of the beast. Then you get a LOT of noise. I mean...a LOT.

The safety is just like that of an AR15, easy to manipulate. The trigger broke cleaning, but was a bit heavy. I did not get the details on the optic the USAF EOD unit had on it, but it was a darn big one.

They had it zeroed at 500 yards.

Here's the video of all the USAF team setting it up then letting the group of us out there shoot it.

A very satisfying experience, to say the least.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioJ8s7BsFDI

Last edited by Amsdorf; 07-22-2013 at 12:30 PM.
MisterMcCool Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-21-2013, 12:50 PM   #2
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1427 Times on 722 Posts
Likes Given: 1040

My sons and I bought an M82 some years ago, the predecessor of the 107, and went in on it together. One thing we quickly discovered shooting prone was the ground/air disturbance from the big muzzle brake. Every shot is a trigger-pull event. Essentially it's like firing a small artillery pieces, but you're right, the recoil is surprisingly smooth at first pull. Ammo is expensive and most often we take it to Texas to fire it, where we have access to longer ranges (and Shiner Bock). We've had amazing fun firing API at steel plate at 800 yards.

I've also had pretty extensive use of the M99, the single-shot bolt-action version. The only difference between the two being a slighty harder recoil with this weapon.

The weight. Yeah, not the weapon I'd choose to hump any distance with without wheels or a mule.

I've never fired the 107. Looks like you had fun.

Last edited by 7point62; 07-21-2013 at 01:20 PM.

Old 07-21-2013, 02:52 PM   #3

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Wow, that does look great!