Shooting accident - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Shooting accident

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 03:12 PM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2014 Times on 1191 Posts
Likes Given: 971

My remedy to that is 'Leupold'!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

KG7IL Likes This 
Old 12-09-2012, 03:15 PM   #32

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Mo, it's usually a situation that includes a high-powered rifle where the shooter isn't fully anticipating and/or prepared properly for the amount of recoil. I know, duh. I mean the rifle wasn't positioned as properly and/or held as tightly as it could/should have been. Worst case I've ever seen was a woman on an early date with a guy who thought it was funny to stick a .30-06 in her hands at the bench after her shooting a .22. Her we put on an ambulance after triage...

And I'm beginning to see a trend on the Scout scoped rifles here... Interestingly, they're on guns where having a scope means nothing.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:09 PM   #33

Liked 648 Times on 425 Posts
Likes Given: 1313

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
Mo, it's usually a situation that includes a high-powered rifle where the shooter isn't fully anticipating and/or prepared properly for the amount of recoil. I know, duh. I mean the rifle wasn't positioned as properly and/or held as tightly as it could/should have been. Worst case I've ever seen was a woman on an early date with a guy who thought it was funny to stick a .30-06 in her hands at the bench after her shooting a .22. Her we put on an ambulance after triage...

And I'm beginning to see a trend on the Scout scoped rifles here... Interestingly, they're on guns where having a scope means nothing.
H, I agree w/ the shooter may not be anticipating the increased recoil with some incidents,specially with an unfamiliar scoped rig.But i've also observed quite a few shooters will let their shoulder flop back from recoil?, instead of using the whole upper body to absorb the recoil which will keep that scope from biting.

That's a sad story about the idgit and his girlfriend,as a responsible shooter/gun owner should help promote,not scare new potential gun supporters?...What a Schmuck!!

Old 12-10-2012, 05:45 AM   #34

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOshooter

H, I agree w/ the shooter may not be anticipating the increased recoil with some incidents,specially with an unfamiliar scoped rig.But i've also observed quite a few shooters will let their shoulder flop back from recoil?, instead of using the whole upper body to absorb the recoil which will keep that scope from biting.

That's a sad story about the idgit and his girlfriend,as a responsible shooter/gun owner should help promote,not scare new potential gun supporters?...What a Schmuck!!
That's exactly what happened to. I remember my shoulder being pushed back first, then the scope hitting second. You know how things slow down when something bad is about to happen. Case in point. Looking back at it now I don't remember anything before pulling the trigger. Something that's been bothering me because I don't remember where my other hand was, whether it was on the forestock or on my lap. Puzzling...

Old 12-10-2012, 05:50 AM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

First time I shot a 30-06, the front end of the gun jumped up about a foot out of hand. Luckily, no cut. But the scope did hit me in the cheek.

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:26 AM   #36
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1606 Times on 985 Posts
Likes Given: 8495

Never been bit by a scope, but I did have to stitch up a friend's scope bite on an elk hunt when I was in colledge. He crowded the scope when he took a shot at his first bull. Made the shot, but given the fact that we were camped 3 hours from the trucks and 2 hours from the nearest hospital, he made the call to just do a clean and close at the camp. Wasn't a pleasant deal for me, and he surely did not enjoy it either, but we were able to skin, quarter, and pack his elk out of the wilderness area we were in. I have yet to see him creep up on a stock since, and needless to say neither have I. One of the earlier posts said the lessons that last the longest involve pain and blood. How very true.

OP, glad you are alright, and I'll bet you will never do that again. Also, I would trade scar with you in an instant. I have a 4 inch scar that starts at the corner of my right eye and ends at my jawline. I got it a little over a year ago, and I'll pass on a recomendation to minimize scarring. Udder balm\cream, or royal jelly. The udder products have vitamin A and E in them, and royal jelly is fed to bee larva to make a new queen. Start using it after the stitches come out, It will help reduce the scarring, and will lighten any remaining scar tissue.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 12-10-2012, 08:39 AM   #37

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yowsa...did ya hit the paper?

Old 12-10-2012, 09:53 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75
Never been bit by a scope, but I did have to stitch up a friend's scope bite on an elk hunt when I was in colledge. He crowded the scope when he took a shot at his first bull. Made the shot, but given the fact that we were camped 3 hours from the trucks and 2 hours from the nearest hospital, he made the call to just do a clean and close at the camp. Wasn't a pleasant deal for me, and he surely did not enjoy it either, but we were able to skin, quarter, and pack his elk out of the wilderness area we were in. I have yet to see him creep up on a stock since, and needless to say neither have I. One of the earlier posts said the lessons that last the longest involve pain and blood. How very true.

OP, glad you are alright, and I'll bet you will never do that again. Also, I would trade scar with you in an instant. I have a 4 inch scar that starts at the corner of my right eye and ends at my jawline. I got it a little over a year ago, and I'll pass on a recomendation to minimize scarring. Udder balm\cream, or royal jelly. The udder products have vitamin A and E in them, and royal jelly is fed to bee larva to make a new queen. Start using it after the stitches come out, It will help reduce the scarring, and will lighten any remaining scar tissue.
Thanks for the info. How long do I have to use that? The doctor told me to use sun screen any time I go outside for 2 years to prevent it from getting wider.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:56 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikeepem
Yowsa...did ya hit the paper?
Haha you know I don't know. It's started bleeding so bad that they shut the range down and my friend took me to the hospital. Got lucky though, the guy shooting next to us was an off duty paramedic. What are the odds?...

Old 12-10-2012, 12:53 PM   #40

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75 View Post

This is udder blasphemy! Warriors wear their scars proudly in the feasting halls!