Shooting ability or equipment? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Shooting ability or equipment?

View Poll Results: Shooter ability vs equipment cost
More shooter ability 45 78.95%
50 50 shooter ability matters the same as equipment cost 10 17.54%
What are you stupid equipment is much more important than ability. 2 3.51%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2010, 12:51 PM   #21
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1357 Times on 688 Posts
Likes Given: 1011

The rig don't mean jack if you can't shoot.

Stay smart, stay motivated, stay dangerous

Old 12-27-2010, 01:28 PM   #22
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5514 Times on 2880 Posts
Likes Given: 358

not sure using mass murderers and assassins is a good example. my dad was going to UT when that happened he said there were hundreds of shots fired from the tower.

i think better examples would be carlos hathcock and some of the marine snipers in iraq thinning out the followers of the religion of peace. i go to an outdoor public range quite a bit in the summer months and you get quit an education on who can and cant shoot shoot and some non-shooters spend an aweful lot of money on gear they arent capable of using.

ill spend days on the range just shooting .22lr peeps that know i have centerfire rifles will ask why i dont bring em very often. i like working on trigger control, breathing and sight alignment. dry firing is all well and good but there is no feedback as to shot grouping without live ammo.

ive been out there and at some point someone with a pricey rifle that cant shoot will get disgusted and call their 2500$ rifle scope combo crap because they cant keep the shots on the paper.

ive also seen folks with pricey .30-06 and .308 using surplus ammo military ammo and wonder why their their new schnizzy sniper rifle is doing 6inches at 100 yards. no ammount of explaining bullet weights and barrel twist seems to help.

you cant fix stupid but i try.

im not a genius or expert by any stretch but im willing to learn and new info to me is always welcome. ive learned a few things from peeps at the range especially the really old guys some of whom fought in korea and ww2 and been shooting for a lifetime.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-27-2010, 02:01 PM   #23

This interesting since I hunted with a WWII vet who used a sporterized 03 for deer hunting. In 30 years he never missed a shot and he always left home with only one cartridge. I never got that good no matter how hard i practiced.

There are some natural born hunters/marksmen.

dampoo

Old 12-27-2010, 03:40 PM   #24

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Here is what I run into a lot.

I will be out shooting and a buddy of mine will show up. He is a good shooter and loves to shoot subcaliber guns. (Subcaliber is anything smaller than .224") he had a very nice 14 Ackly Hornet built on a Ruger 77/22hornet. He was shooting 1/2" groups at 100 yards with his fire forming loads. I though that was very respectable. Then he offered to let me shoot it. I said are you sure. He said sure I would like to see what she will do with young eyes behind the scope. Now this was a blueprinted ruger with a shilen barrel topped with a 6.5-20x40mm Leupold scope. a very nice set up if you ask me. I sat down and cranked off 2 groups with all the bullets overlapping. He was stoked and said that was amazing he had never had a a firforming load shoot that good before.

Now I am not touting my shooting skills. But asking have you ever had that happen? My dad would buy guns and let them sit till I came home on leave so that I could sight them in and shoot them.

Speaking of which my package should be arriving today.

Old 12-27-2010, 03:53 PM   #25

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

My kid shoots better than I do.

I taught him, my Dad taught me.

The Marines corrected all my sons bad shooting habits.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 12-27-2010, 04:26 PM   #26
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5514 Times on 2880 Posts
Likes Given: 358

when i first got my ithaca 1944 production 1911 i took it to shoot it. the bore is nearly smooth with very little left of the lands and grooves. i was doing decent enough with it at 15 yards holding around 3 inch 7 shot groups. there was an older guy two lanes down and we got to compairing 1911's and he took a liking to the ithaca. turned out he had carried an ithaca in korea and asked if he could shoot it for old times sake. i of course said as much as you like. he ran the target out to 25 yards cranked off 7 rounds into a ragged hole center mass you could cover with three fingers.

i took a look at his targets he was shooting with his xd 45 and colt 1911 and it was one hole groups. the dude was really good.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-27-2010, 04:37 PM   #27

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

My father has been shooting IBS matches for over 20 yrs and has done very well, nice collection of wood, been in the Top 20 for the year several times .....

3 out of 4 times I can beat him at home or on the range under decent conditions. Now under not so decent conditions or in a registered match he whoops my a$$ 9 out of 10 times. His eyes certainly arent what they used to but experience will beat luck on a 99.9999% basis.

Maybe in about another 10 yrs i`ll beat the old man but doubtful unless he goes totally blind and even then I better bring my Agame.

Old 12-28-2010, 01:29 AM   #28
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1180 Times on 679 Posts
Likes Given: 568

Shooting firearms is just like doing anything else.
If you don't have the knowledge,technique,ability,and patience to learn as well as the time to hone your skills by lots of practice,you won't ever be a good shooter.

The price of the equipment only falls into play if the person has the skills to use them correctly.

It mostly comes down to a shooters ability,but having decent equipment is a big plus.

Old 12-28-2010, 03:09 AM   #29

Liked 336 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 278

Quote:
Originally Posted by opaww View Post
Who is L.H.O. what did he do and with what?
LHO? Oh! One of my favorite groups!

Or was that ELO??? I forget...

Old 12-29-2010, 03:22 AM   #30

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I will just say I have had the pleasure and humbling experience of doing some shooting with a person that has won the Sportsmans Class at the Masters International Shooting Championship. We were shooting one day, me with my S&W Model 41, him with his competition .22, a Pardini, if I recall correctly. I wasn't complaining or anything of the nature, because I knew that he shot (and shoots) competitively. At some point, he let me fire his pistol, just to have a feel for it, and took up my Model 41. The end result was that he was able to hit far more accurately with my pistol than I could with his.

When I was shooting trap competitively, I also had the pleasure of out-shooting many a competitive trap-shooter with shotguns far more expensive than my Browning BT-99.

There is no question in my mind that it is the shooter that is most important.

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy,
I'm not surprised that you agree.

"Courage is being scared to death… and saddling up anyway." - John Wayne.