Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Shooter Savage 99?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2010, 04:38 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Shooter Savage 99?

I went to look at a 1940 Vintage Savage 99 this evening listed in the local classified for $450. EG model, I believe, in .300 Savage with schnabel fore-end and rotary magazine with brass counter.

The rifle was in superb shape though, much to my dismay, it had the horrid drill holes through the top of the receiver for scope mounting. I wouldn't have been able to get my cash out fast enough, otherwise, but told him I'd mull it over until morning. Said he'd do $425 but no lower.

I'm not a collector and don't own a 99 at all but my understanding is that drilled receiver's take quite a toll on value. Would this be a fair price for a Savage 99Shooter?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-08-2010, 05:09 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

In California firearms are overpriced, but even here that rifle wouldn't go for more than $300. to $350.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-08-2010, 10:48 AM   #3

Thank you CA357!

I figured that's what it was worth. Think I would have been more interested if the rifle had more wear to the wood and bluing but absent the screw holes!

The savage search continues.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:13 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I know they're out there. I saw a really beautiful one in .308 at the gun shop yesterday, but it hadn't been priced yet.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams