Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Shilen quote ...wow !!!!!!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2010, 12:08 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

It's good to hear someone charging what they're worth - way too many smiths out there price themselves out of business :\

Editor, Shooters' Journal

Old 12-14-2010, 04:46 AM   #12

My smith doesn't charge too much and he's still in business making a good living. There's 100 guys doing that kind of work locally but the one I go to is the best by far. He's never failed me yet and I've been going there for decades.

Old 12-14-2010, 04:54 AM   #13

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Ed Shilen is a stand up guy, im pretty sure he doesnt autograph crap.

Old 12-14-2010, 03:35 PM   #14

gotta go along with badshot on this, i met ed back in the 70's at a amtch he was at locally and talked to him about a gun and he said to send the action down. the more we talked the more he impressed me and i told him i'd love to send him an action but didnt believe in the mail LOL at which he invited me down to the shop. i spent quite a bit of the morning there with ed and his son and there are two bright individuals. Ed built me and unlimited benchrest rifle in 222 and boy did it shoot. I think I paid around 5 back then so his prices arent too bad.

We were brothers then,We are brothers now, we will be brothers forever Currahee

Old 12-14-2010, 03:53 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badshot320 View Post
Ed Shilen is a stand up guy, im pretty sure he doesnt autograph crap.
Pretty sure noone here has bashed the character or integrety of Mr. Shilen or his business/procedures. I merely was surprized to say the least at the cost compared to other "Famed" people/businesses in the same field, at half the cost. So, lets not get all riled up and mis-construed over my original question on advise.
Fact is, IF I had the money I used to, the post wouldnt even be here...Shilen would already have my barreled action in their possession and it would be a mute point.
And before anyone posts "if you dont have the money you shouldnt be considering it", well all I can say is...thats noones' business but my own.
Thanks for all the input.

Old 12-15-2010, 03:39 AM   #16

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Im not riled or accusing you of bashing Ed Shilen. Im just saying he built his name on quality not so much price. I have not personally had any work done by him but Ive met several who have, and all got their moneys worth. I can however vouch for the quality of his barrels, having had atleast 12 of them between me and my father.

Old 12-15-2010, 04:10 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badshot320 View Post
Im not riled or accusing you of bashing Ed Shilen. Im just saying he built his name on quality not so much price. I have not personally had any work done by him but Ive met several who have, and all got their moneys worth. I can however vouch for the quality of his barrels, having had atleast 12 of them between me and my father.
I was just covering the bases before the game got started...I very much would prefer to buy a Shilen and have a good smith put it on...the one fly in that is ...no good smiths around here.

Old 12-15-2010, 06:09 AM   #18

Best deal going and a Master Gunsmith, SavageGunsmithing.
Scott, the gunsmith really is a master smith, very few of them left.
I'm a retired gunsmith and know a great smith when I see one.
He guarentees his accuracy jobs with new barrel will shoot .3". 5 shots at 100 yds with his handloads. Find another smith with that kind of guarentee, and most shoot better than .3" Even the guys who build $5000. rifles only guarentee 1/2" 3 shot groups.
His prices are reasonable, check out his web site and give him a call. He accurizes all kinds of rifles, not just savages. Great guy to work with also. Very honest, won't steer you just to make more money, he will give you the streight info on what works.

Also, there are better barrels than the Shillen barrels. Some are good, some darn good, but there really are better quality barrels available. Ed's a good guy, but his barrels are priced at what they are worth, they are good, but not the best. The Shillen price is on the high side for what you will get.
Scott will also order any rifle, mount rings and scope you want, sell them to you at his wholesale price if you have him do the accuracy job on the rifle. This can save you hundreds of dollars on a good rifle and scope.

Retired and with a bad back, I sold my equipment 6 years ago, Scott is the only smith I will trust with my gunsmithing. I wish I could really tell you just how good this guy is, but words alone don't describe his abilities and precision work.

One of his Savage rifles holds the unofficial record at 3000 yards of 10 shots under 24". It was a club shoot, not an NRA shoot or it would have been a national record. He also designed the bullet that shot the group and had it CNC'ed out of bronze. He really knows his ballistics which makes him an even better smith.
Scott is a gunsmith because he loves firearms and gunsmithing, not for the money. He could make far more as a master machinest or welder but chooses to gunsmith because it's his passion.
Call and pick his brain, you will quickly see he knows gunsmithing and guns like no other smith I have ever met or worked with and I've met and worked with some darn good smiths in my years.

John K

Last edited by rifleman55; 12-15-2010 at 06:22 AM.