Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Sharpshooter/sniper gun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2010, 09:36 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Sharpshooter/sniper gun?

G'day to you all :mrgreen:

(First of all: I wrote 'sharpshooter/sniper' because its either one of both that I mean. Among the connoisseurs there seems to be a clear understanding about the difference between the two. I lack such understanding so in my ignorance I just refer to it as 'sharpshooter/sniper', with it meaning: 'a serious rifle for long distance shooting ).

My situation is this: both my wife and I have been a member of a sports shooting club. One year has passed, and so we are now allowed to legally buy our own guns.

It has become clear not only to my wife and I but also to the others members of the club that my wife has a talent for shooting long distance with rifles (she has no interest in hand guns, as opposed to me). In the year that she has been shooting (.22), she has consistently been hitting 8,9 and 10 on a distance of 25-50 meters, all this while holding the rifle in her hand (so the rifle not being supported by some helping tool or something).

That being said, after one year of shooting with .22 she wants to 'move up': both in distance and in caliber. For now, her next step would be 100 meters, but I already know after that she wants to move on to 200 meters, 300 meters, and so on until even up to 1 kilometer. To my 'noobish' understanding this means she would need something more professional, like army snipers / sharp shooters use.

Now, for noobs like we are, there is an overwhelming number of brands and types of guns. I understand that in the end she will have to pick the rifle that she likes most, in terms of comfort, but: if somebody could 'kick us into the right direction' in terms of 'forget about looking at these brands/types of rifles, what you are looking for you will find in this corner, namely the following brands/types of rifles'.

This would mean a big help in terms of efficiency :mrgreen:

Thank you in advance for any replies,

Bye,

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-20-2010, 10:16 AM   #2

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

A 22 rifle should be able to shoot at 100 yards. But for the whole bigger and better thing I think you will see a whole lot of differing opinions stemming from ones individual flavor might be. I don't do any real long range shooting and do not have a rifle other than my AR that will get out all that far. But where I live getting a shot off over 200 yards is pretty rare outside of a range. And even many ranges around here don't have any real long range shooting going on. It's just too hilly around here.

Now I used to shoot a 30 06 (1903 Springfield) at some longer distances but was really not all that great at it. But it was not something I trained much for either. I liked the round myself and it will reach out and touch something but some more knowledgeable long range shooters than me might be able to provide you some better insight on some other rounds and why they are good for the needs you have spelled out.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 12-20-2010, 12:10 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Looks like you're outside the US. The 6mmBR is very popular for both long and short range accuracy shooting. Check around locally for both rifles and ammunition to see if it's available. Recoil will be very manageable for your wife.

300m Competition

300m Competition Guide within AccurateShooter.com

-Rick

Unbiased Barnard, BAT, Kelbly, Nesika Bay x2, Remington x3, Browning, Marsh, Ruger x2, Savage x3, UltraLight Arms, AR15 x3 owner. I like 'em all.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:23 PM   #4

Liked 672 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 675

Look at 6.5x55. It should be readily available in Europe.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:57 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8390 Times on 3630 Posts
Likes Given: 1291

In my opinion, the .22 Long Rifle sort of "hits the wall" on great accuracy at 100-125 meters. For 100 to 200, you might consider a .17 HMR. No recoil, good rifles being made for reasonable prices, incredible accuracy.

For distances beyong that, you will need more power. One of the most accurate mid power rifles that has been around for years is the 6.5 Swedish Mauser (the 6.5x55 mentioned above). Rifles are currently made in this caliber by Sauer, Blaser CZ, Steyr, Mauser and Tikka (and probably by others). Moderate recoil (but more than a .22) and excellent accuracy.

There ARE other rounds that offer good long range accuracy- I think everyone has their "pet" rifle or caliber. Good luck, shoot safe, and let us know what you and your lady come up with-

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 12-20-2010, 01:29 PM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Long distance shooters in the U.S. are using 6 mm rifles for really long distance shooting. Some people have gone over to the 6.5 Grendel for shots that range from zero to 1,200 meters. And then there is the .308/7.62 NATO crowd that use high quality M-1A rifles and AR-10 rifles. All the rifles I've mentioned are scoped with high power telescopic sights to do their long range shooting. I would research the 6.5 Grendel from Alexander Arms if I were you. That seems to be the upcoming rifle system and caliber of ammo to use for really good long range shooting.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:01 AM   #7

Liked 672 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon 173 View Post
Long distance shooters in the U.S. are using 6 mm rifles for really long distance shooting. Some people have gone over to the 6.5 Grendel for shots that range from zero to 1,200 meters. And then there is the .308/7.62 NATO crowd that use high quality M-1A rifles and AR-10 rifles. All the rifles I've mentioned are scoped with high power telescopic sights to do their long range shooting. I would research the 6.5 Grendel from Alexander Arms if I were you. That seems to be the upcoming rifle system and caliber of ammo to use for really good long range shooting.

OK, The 6.5x55 has soooo many advantages over the 6.5 Grendel. Hell the 6.5x.284 beats it hands down.
I use typically 4x scopes. Hmmmm. I must be getting old!
So what do you use Recon?

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 12-21-2010, 02:24 AM   #8

Liked 293 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 25

What about .243 Win? Yeah I know it's a barrel burner but a very fast FPS muzzel velocity round with relitively low recoil. Also the .308 Win. or 7.62X51mm. NATO is good for longer ranges without the short barrel life issue of the .243 Win. The .243 Win. is much better for longer ranges however than the .308 Win. without the added recoil. Factory loaded target ammo for both these calibers are available through several manufactures which would preclude you wouldn't have to reload your own so much as other calibers if reloading would be an issue for you. And they're both (.308 and .243) are short actions which for competitive timed target events is a given edge IMO.

Last edited by mrm14; 12-21-2010 at 02:30 AM.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:36 AM   #9

Thank you to all of you: you have provided me with some useful suggestions to research; much appreciated

Old 12-21-2010, 02:28 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I didn't hear any mention of a .223 in either bolt action or AR style platform. With a slower twist barrel andd heavier weight bullets you can get pretty good accuracy at 500 meters and the recoil won't beat up her shoulder.