Sentimental Value - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Sentimental Value

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2012, 03:24 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1971 Times on 1260 Posts
Likes Given: 4469

One of my two best friends passed away last Christmas while squirrel hunting. He had just ordered a bull barrel, stock, and trigger kit for a 10/22 build. The stock was on back order and finally arrived. Our other friend and I put it together today. It turned out really nice.

russell-10.22.jpg

He wanted something for head shots on squirrels at 75 yards. He really liked shooting squirrels, and everything else that moved. He was a die hard hunter. I believe God gives everyone a purpose, and his purpose was to kill everything on four legs (seriously). After we set the scope on it this week, and drop a few squirrels, it will sit in a corner from now on. All of his guns including this one will go to his family, as they should, but none of them will be used again. Thankfully in this case, his guns aren't going to sit because of any family issues. His family was close but none of them hunt (he had girls).

It's strange because his guns will only be worth whatever the monetary value of a gun is, and they will just sit in a corner and not be used again. No one will know those were the tools of a master hunter. Things are just things, but some things have something special about them because of the people that owned those things. Unfortunately, that something special doesn't last like those things do.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:02 AM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2997 Times on 1949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker
One of my two best friends passed away last Christmas while squirrel hunting. He had just ordered a bull barrel, stock, and trigger kit for a 10/22 build. The stock was on back order and finally arrived. Our other friend and I put it together today. It turned out really nice.

He wanted something for head shots on squirrels at 75 yards. He really liked shooting squirrels, and everything else that moved. He was a die hard hunter. I believe God gives everyone a purpose, and his purpose was to kill everything on four legs (seriously). After we set the scope on it this week, and drop a few squirrels, it will sit in a corner from now on. All of his guns including this one will go to his family, as they should, but none of them will be used again. Thankfully in this case, his guns aren't going to sit because of any family issues. His family was close but none of them hunt (he had girls).

It's strange because his guns will only be worth whatever the monetary value of a gun is, and they will just sit in a corner and not be used again. No one will know those were the tools of a master hunter. Things are just things, but some things have something special about them because of the people that owned those things. Unfortunately, that something special doesn't last like those things do.
Girls hunt, too! I don't know them, but its worth a try to get them into it. Since your friends passing, they might want to get into it as a memorial of sorts.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:09 AM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1819 Times on 994 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1

Girls hunt, too! I don't know them, but its worth a try to get them into it. Since your friends passing, they might want to get into it as a memorial of sorts.
When I read this I thought about the fact that some women hunt, but I figured it would sound whiny coming from a girl. I am very sorry to hear about his loss.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:30 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1971 Times on 1260 Posts
Likes Given: 4469

Some girls do hunt, but not many. Actually I think fewer kids are hunting period, girls and boys. And I suspect that has a lot to do with so many families being so disconnected?

In this case one is 5. The other is 14 and getting ready for her driving licenses and so on. Hunting isn't exactly a priority for her right now. Still hunting might be something they want to do one day?

Old 06-25-2012, 10:24 PM   #25

Liked 783 Times on 546 Posts
Likes Given: 847

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
J- know exactly what you mean. Dad passed away some years ago, but now and again the two of us will go for opening day of the season- I am using his BAR or his Fox 12 g. He would have liked that.
My Dad most likely starts laughing every time someone fires that shotgun. I could see him laughing and shaking his head. I still have a box or 2 of paper hulled shells. I've yet to find newer shells that compare, #4 Shot.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:35 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1819 Times on 994 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It's not a firearm, but I have my grandpa's Masonic apron.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:33 AM   #27

Liked 815 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 125

TLuker, his kids are 5 and 14!? Oh boy. Maybe you can take them to the range once in a rare while...

Old 06-26-2012, 12:40 AM   #28
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3585 Times on 1841 Posts
Likes Given: 400

I have my grandfather's Walther PP. It was given to him by an Army officer friend that brought it home from the ETO. Grandpa was a chemical engineer so never left the US during the war.

I have the CVA .50 cal Hawken that he and I built from a kit about 35 years ago. I think we only shot it once or twice, but had a ball. Dad was not a "gun guy", I guess I am the one that started the family tradition.

My guns are marked as to who gets them at my passing. Brothers, daughters and step-son.

The "family" is all but dead in most of America. Elders are not respected. "Things" are lusted over. How can a person care about the family history when they do not even care about the family members?

Old 06-26-2012, 12:58 AM   #29
fmj

Liked 754 Times on 438 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
I have my grandfather's Walther PP. It was given to him by an Army officer friend that brought it home from the ETO. Grandpa was a chemical engineer so never left the US during the war.

I have the CVA .50 cal Hawken that he and I built from a kit about 35 years ago. I think we only shot it once or twice, but had a ball. Dad was not a "gun guy", I guess I am the one that started the family tradition.

My guns are marked as to who gets them at my passing. Brothers, daughters and step-son.

The "family" is all but dead in most of America. Elders are not respected. "Things" are lusted over. How can a person care about the family history when they do not even care about the family members?
Pure FACT!! It makes me sick to watch "families" at the passing of an elder...and the squabels that ensue over worldly possessions. SICKENING!!

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 06-26-2012, 01:04 AM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2997 Times on 1949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj

Pure FACT!! It makes me sick to watch "families" at the passing of an elder...and the squabels that ensue over worldly possessions. SICKENING!!
My grandma was just put in a home last month. Her kids have been fighting about the belongings for several years, the auction is Wednesday. I can't wait.

Newest Threads