Sentimental Value - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Sentimental Value

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2012, 05:38 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 89 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
TLuker;
You must be one of those old fogies who thinks America is exceptional.

You probably believe those histories, familial or national, are important -- it's in the past dude so leave it alone. Who cares? A gun is just a tool. So what it represents the death-defying line today's men (who live at home with their aging parents) and women (who have to work to pay for their contraceptives but hit a glass ceiling), as well as our underserved children, draw their lineage to and base this imperfect society on?

They've got bills to pay like taxes and cable TV, six-figure student loans to study cultures at least as good as our own, for leased 4x4's made in Japan and World of Warcraft subscriptions that didn't even exist when you were starting a young family instead of taking everything you could for yourself outta life, so stop preaching. Things have evolved...

...citizens (and non-citizens who are the best and brightest) today obviously deserve more and you just sound like one of those damned patriots!
Thats just irritating !!!!!
Where is the identity of one's family without it's history. Items passed down in the family tell a history, whether that may be good or bad at times, it gives you a sense of where you came from and why you are here. These items, what ever they may be, should be cherished and preserved for the future generations of the family.

Jim...................

Visit me on FaceBook at Alvord Limited Custom Gunsmithing.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alvord-Limited-Custom-gunsmithing/637828296334671?ref=bookmarks

Old 06-24-2012, 05:56 PM   #12
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i agree with the family heritage thing. my father inhereted all my grandfathers guns, and one day they will come to me. now my grandfather saw guns as more of a tool than a hobby, very seldom hunted, and usually if he did it was squirrel hunting. the thing is i remember as a young child, my granfather teaching us to shoot that old 9 shot 22 revolver, him using that old 410 for killing snakes in the henhouse. not a lot of heritage, but definately fond memories of my grandfather. the guns are not high dollar and are not worth a lot of money, but the memories are priceless.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:33 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8829 Times on 3821 Posts
Likes Given: 1365

Master- that was hyperbole- better known as tongue in cheek.

To the original poster- a very good point- and kudos to you.

Because life is uncertain (if you want a guarantee, buy a toaster) I have a will. I also have some envelopes attached to the will, addressed to family members that I have left specific items to. Something on the order of "This is the shotgun that your great-grandmother used to shoot the dog that was attacking your grandma. Without this gun, it is possible that neither you nor I would have been here."

Now, what they DO with what they inherit is THEIR call- it will belong to them when that time comes. But if they know about an item, chances that they will cherish it as much as you do goes up.

FWIW, I have a TINY little revolver known as a Baby Hammerless. About the size of a business card, and totally useless. Love the fact that my step mom's grandmother was a dance hall girl back in the West, and this was HER gun!

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-24-2012, 06:34 PM   #14

Liked 1095 Times on 656 Posts
Likes Given: 55

I inherited my grandfathers rifle which is a Remington 721 30-06. I love shooting that rifle. My other family members were complaining that they didn't get the gun they wanted. I told them it didn't matter which gun it was, it belonged to grandpa that's all that matters!!!!

Last edited by Fathead00; 06-24-2012 at 07:18 PM.
People Like This 
Old 06-24-2012, 08:49 PM   #15

Liked 460 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I was blessed enough to get my grandpas Remington 1100 that is in gorgeous condition and his Taurus .38spl. The 1100 was my first official gun that belonged to me and my first gun to go hunt with. As blessed and honored that I have it, I wish I didn't since that way my grandpa would still be here hunting with me

Old 06-24-2012, 08:58 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1216 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 2442

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
I almost fired up my flamethrower again...but I think that was sarcasm...

I agree, tluker. Not long ago I sat down with my cousins and tried my best to explain the significance of every one of the trinkets my grandfather collected. It was sad how little they really knew about him. They thought all the toy tractors were just a childhood hobby for him. They didn't even know that each and every one was a handbuilt model replica of tractors that he had actually taken part in building while working for Ford. Hell, they didn't even know he worked for Ford, they thought he was retired army, but he only served a three year draft.

They had no idea the story behind the axe he kept in the closet instead of the tool shed, the head worn down to a nub. It was the first thing he ever bought for himself with money he earned. When he was ten years old, his father and all his brothers went to Germany, leaving him alone with his Mom and sister. He ran the family farm, and made their first profit in years. When his father got home after three steady years of profit, he told my grandad to get himself something nice for doing such a great job. One of the ways he made a profit was by fighting back the brush that was trying to take over their fields, thereby he was able to plant more wheat, and he just completely wore their axe out. So he bought himself a new one. My Mom has the scythe he bought on that same shopping trip. He wore their old one out during that same time period.

Those are two completely worthless items (monetarily) that WILL remain in our family FOREVER if I have my way.

That's exactly the sort of stuff I was referring to. Now imagine if no one in your family knew those things. That would be really sad, and once that type of family history is lost its lost forever. Unfortunately, it just seems like lately I keep seeing that over and over. It's really sad that families are so disconnected. I was lucky enough to know those people and pass on a little information to their family, but I shouldn't of had to.

It's really looking like the family as institution is about done for, and not just because of divorce or couples not getting married.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:19 PM   #17
mcb

Liked 68 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I inherited four guns from my Uncle in 1995.

My cousins and uncles squabled over his collection. Of probably 25-30 guns I got four. Two he set aside for me because they were his favorites a Winchester 101 12 gauge and a 6" Colt Trooper MKIII. I also have two that no one else grabbed a Taurus PT92 and a Jennings J22.

To me everytime I shoot one it takes me back to the old strip mine where I used to shoot with my uncle and my dad.

I still have all four even the Jennings. The relatives sold the rest for a quick buck. They could care less.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:56 PM   #18

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 725

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb View Post
I inherited four guns from my Uncle in 1995.

My cousins and uncles squabled over his collection. Of probably 25-30 guns I got four. Two he set aside for me because they were his favorites a Winchester 101 12 gauge and a 6" Colt Trooper MKIII. I also have two that no one else grabbed a Taurus PT92 and a Jennings J22.

To me everytime I shoot one it takes me back to the old strip mine where I used to shoot with my uncle and my dad.

I still have all four even the Jennings. The relatives sold the rest for a quick buck. They could care less.
That was the only thing my siblings agreed upon when my Dad passed. I got the firearms. They must have known the value. Not worth much at all, but I grew up w/ them and remember being w/ my Dad at the Flea market when he bought them. He spent $50.00 for a JC Higgins .22S L LR (Marlin 100), and a single shot Winchester Western Cooey 12ga goose gun. The Cooey is the odd one. They made 3 grades. If it is a mid grade it is worth 600.00. There were so many cross overs on serial numbers I have yet to find out what it really is. It is known as the punisher. It is a 3 piece travel gun. It will take your fillings out w/ 2 3/4" shells.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:28 AM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8829 Times on 3821 Posts
Likes Given: 1365

J- know exactly what you mean. Dad passed away some years ago, but now and again the two of us will go for opening day of the season- I am using his BAR or his Fox 12 g. He would have liked that.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:37 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1142 Times on 744 Posts
Likes Given: 676

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
My family land was once over 1200 acres. It was subdivided among all the family members over the years. Many of them sold their share off. Now, the only person on that land is my Mom, 12 hours a day, helping to dig the coal out of it.

Coal mine employees get first dibs at buying it back. They have enough put away in different funds to buy around 1k acres

Family land is going back into the family!
my grandpa had just over 900 acres farmland/woods. when he died my dad didnt want to stick around and my uncle couldnt do it by himself. got split up and sold. at least my uncle retained about 40 acres. but still i wish i had run of the whole hill like they used to at my age.
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.