Sentimental Value
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Sentimental Value

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2012, 04:37 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1493 Times on 976 Posts
Likes Given: 3227

Default Sentimental Value

I've lost some close friends and family over the last couple of years and I keep seeing the same thing in each case. Their guns go to family members but those family members don't know anything about their guns. Those guns have sentimental value to those people simply because they belonged to a loved one, but that's it. It's sad to have to explain to someone that they should probably hang on to an old beat up rifle because it was their great great grandpa's, and had been passed down for five generations (they should know that!!!). There just seems to be a complete disconnect among families right now, and so much family history is being lost as a result.

I had to explain to one person that a pistol he inherited came from a German officer in WWII killed by his great grandfather. The officer and his GGF literally ran into each other and the officer put the gun to his GGF's head, pulled the trigger, and it didn't go off. That gun never misfired afterwards. It was sad that person didn't know that piece of their family history, and it would have been even worst if that piece of their family history was lost.

It's sucks loosing so many close friends and relatives, but its even worse seeing how little their families knew about them. It's really sad and I keep seeing it.

So just a heads up to everyone, if you have special gun with a lot of sentimental value make sure someone knows about it. And write it down just in case.

Last edited by TLuker; 06-24-2012 at 04:41 AM.
c3shooter Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-24-2012, 04:41 PM   #2

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

TLuker;
You must be one of those old fogies who thinks America is exceptional.

You probably believe those histories, familial or national, are important -- it's in the past dude so leave it alone. Who cares? A gun is just a tool. So what it represents the death-defying line today's men (who live at home with their aging parents) and women (who have to work to pay for their contraceptives but hit a glass ceiling), as well as our underserved children, draw their lineage to and base this imperfect society on?

They've got bills to pay like taxes and cable TV, six-figure student loans to study cultures at least as good as our own, for leased 4x4's made in Japan and World of Warcraft subscriptions that didn't even exist when you were starting a young family instead of taking everything you could for yourself outta life, so stop preaching. Things have evolved...

...citizens (and non-citizens who are the best and brightest) today obviously deserve more and you just sound like one of those damned patriots!

Last edited by HockaLouis; 06-24-2012 at 04:50 PM.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:00 PM   #3

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I almost fired up my flamethrower again...but I think that was sarcasm...

I agree, tluker. Not long ago I sat down with my cousins and tried my best to explain the significance of every one of the trinkets my grandfather collected. It was sad how little they really knew about him. They thought all the toy tractors were just a childhood hobby for him. They didn't even know that each and every one was a handbuilt model replica of tractors that he had actually taken part in building while working for Ford. Hell, they didn't even know he worked for Ford, they thought he was retired army, but he only served a three year draft.

They had no idea the story behind the axe he kept in the closet instead of the tool shed, the head worn down to a nub. It was the first thing he ever bought for himself with money he earned. When he was ten years old, his father and all his brothers went to Germany, leaving him alone with his Mom and sister. He ran the family farm, and made their first profit in years. When his father got home after three steady years of profit, he told my grandad to get himself something nice for doing such a great job. One of the ways he made a profit was by fighting back the brush that was trying to take over their fields, thereby he was able to plant more wheat, and he just completely wore their axe out. So he bought himself a new one. My Mom has the scythe he bought on that same shopping trip. He wore their old one out during that same time period.

Those are two completely worthless items (monetarily) that WILL remain in our family FOREVER if I have my way.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:04 PM   #4
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

THIS is something i do A LOT of. I have told each child about the lineage of each gun in the safe.

How the .35 Rem. was my youngest sons Great grand dads, how it was used to kill many deer and feed the family. How my grand dad was the second son, how my dad was the second son, i was the second son....and him being my second son it only natural it will become his when i am dead and gone.

Or that the model 4 was something my dad wanted his entire life, and when his boys finally moved out he was finally able to afford the gun he always wanted...but died before he could use it for the reason he always wanted it...to go west and kill an Elk in the grandeur of the rockies.

Or the stories and lineage of the Model 61. Or the Ithica 37....

I have always told them that i, as well as my forefathers, would come back to haunt them if they ever sold those particular guns.

I am thinking i DO need to write out the tales of these guns as they were told to me and put them in the folders i have started for each one containing owners manuals, spare parts, etc.

But if they chose to sell the guns i have acquired, no big deal. But i dont see that happening as my kids (and wife) are already fighting over the guns i have bought, they love them just that much. The 1911, 686, M-4, M-44 so on and so forth...and i am a LONG way from being dead!

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 06-24-2012, 05:29 PM   #5
fmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
I almost fired up my flamethrower again...but I think that was sarcasm...

I agree, tluker. Not long ago I sat down with my cousins and tried my best to explain the significance of every one of the trinkets my grandfather collected. It was sad how little they really knew about him. They thought all the toy tractors were just a childhood hobby for him. They didn't even know that each and every one was a handbuilt model replica of tractors that he had actually taken part in building while working for Ford. Hell, they didn't even know he worked for Ford, they thought he was retired army, but he only served a three year draft.

They had no idea the story behind the axe he kept in the closet instead of the tool shed, the head worn down to a nub. It was the first thing he ever bought for himself with money he earned. When he was ten years old, his father and all his brothers went to Germany, leaving him alone with his Mom and sister. He ran the family farm, and made their first profit in years. When his father got home after three steady years of profit, he told my grandad to get himself something nice for doing such a great job. One of the ways he made a profit was by fighting back the brush that was trying to take over their fields, thereby he was able to plant more wheat, and he just completely wore their axe out. So he bought himself a new one. My Mom has the scythe he bought on that same shopping trip. He wore their old one out during that same time period.

Those are two completely worthless items (monetarily) that WILL remain in our family FOREVER if I have my way.
DUDE! It damn near killed me and sent me off into a place that took me many years to escape from when i watched the family farm. The thing i had been groomed my entire life to take over and run. Rusty old tractors that were no longer in service that i tore down and got running again, old time farm tools, that had been replaced with newer more modern tools, that I scrounged out of "junk" heaps, land that i had hoed, hunted, trapped, and hunted and otherwise improved. All divided up and sold at auction. All thats left of a once proud legacy are those guns!!

John Cougars album "Scarecrow" and more importantly the song "Rain on the Scarecrow" STILL evokes serious emotions in me to this day. That album was released in 85, the farm was sold in 86.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:45 PM   #6

My family land was once over 1200 acres. It was subdivided among all the family members over the years. Many of them sold their share off. Now, the only person on that land is my Mom, 12 hours a day, helping to dig the coal out of it.

Coal mine employees get first dibs at buying it back. They have enough put away in different funds to buy around 1k acres

Family land is going back into the family!

Old 06-24-2012, 05:47 PM   #7
fmj

Quote:
My family land was once over 1200 acres. It was subdivided among all the family members over the years. Many of them sold their share off. Now, the only person on that land is my Mom, 12 hours a day, helping to dig the coal out of it.

Coal mine employees get first dibs at buying it back. They have enough put away in different funds to buy around 1k acres

Family land is going back into the family!
This is a good thing!

We had right at 500 acres of the third richest soil in the world....its never coming back.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:52 PM   #8

It was planned. When we realized we wouldn't be able to keep our 100, my Mom immediately applied to work for them, just so she can get first crack at getting ALL of it back. And it's well understood that there is all that family land, and it may not be healthy to try and out bid us.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:54 PM   #9
fmj

Quote:
It was planned. When we realized we wouldn't be able to keep our 100, my Mom immediately applied to work for them, just so she can get first crack at getting ALL of it back. And it's well understood that there is all that family land, and it may not be healthy to try and out bid us.
Good to hear you still have hope!

Old 06-24-2012, 05:57 PM   #10

It's almost a sure thing, but anything can happen. The folks she works with are a bunch of good ole boys just like us, so there's a mutual understanding. She's not the only one who took the job just to get a chance at reclaiming some family heritage. The employees with family land will likely be the lowest bidders, because there likely won't be anyone who will bid against them.

IF it all goes as planned.