Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Sendero

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2011, 03:17 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Default Sendero

I currently shoot a Remington 700 with the stainless finish(not a true stainless steel I don't think, it's like a greyed finish) in 7mm and love the gun, but am thinking about upgrading to a Sendero with the nicer stalk and the fluted stainless steel barrel. I will be using this for hunting purposes. Would I be crazy to do it? Some say lugging all that gun around would be tiring, but I think I could handle it. Just curious what everybody elses thoughts are.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-01-2011, 05:08 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2220 Times on 1112 Posts
Likes Given: 1140

mrb,

First of all, that grey looking stainless barrel on your present rifle is a result of the stainless barrel being bead blasted. Which causes the finish to look dull and certainly for hunting stops reflection which can frighten game. The Sendero is certainly known for it's accuracy. But is certainly a heavier rifle for traipsing around through the woods or field all day. Which can make a difference. Although who am I to advise this since I have carried my Remington 40X 308 around some in Texas deer, pig and prairie dog hunting. Of course a lot of it was packing it in and out of the stand and around the truck. But it is much heavier than the Sendero. I guess it depends on how much packing and walking you do while hunting. I mostly hunt with my 700 Remington CDL in 7mm Rem. Mag. and it's accuracy is phenomenal. Also you may want to get one if you want it. There have been rumors that they may stop making the Sendero? I have not confirmed this rumor.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
mrb,

First of all, that grey looking stainless barrel on your present rifle is a result of the stainless barrel being bead blasted. Which causes the finish to look dull and certainly for hunting stops reflection which can frighten game. The Sendero is certainly known for it's accuracy. But is certainly a heavier rifle for traipsing around through the woods or field all day. Which can make a difference. Although who am I to advise this since I have carried my Remington 40X 308 around some in Texas deer, pig and prairie dog hunting. Of course a lot of it was packing it in and out of the stand and around the truck. But it is much heavier than the Sendero. I guess it depends on how much packing and walking you do while hunting. I mostly hunt with my 700 Remington CDL in 7mm Rem. Mag. and it's accuracy is phenomenal. Also you may want to get one if you want it. There have been rumors that they may stop making the Sendero? I have not confirmed this rumor.

Interesting, I've never hear anybody explain the stainless finish for me. Thank you. This thing is an awesome shooter, but I think the Sendero is probably a hair more accurate and with that HS stock, makes it a far superior rifle. Anybody know what the sale price in the stores have been on the Sendero's?

Old 06-01-2011, 05:29 PM   #4
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1114 Times on 642 Posts
Likes Given: 523

The Sendero is a nice shooting rifle,but if yours is a good shooter now,why not just upgrade the stock and maybe the trigger and then you'll have a gun that will shoot as good if not better than a Sendero for a lot less money.
The last used one I saw was around 750,and NIB was around 1050.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
The Sendero is a nice shooting rifle,but if yours is a good shooter now,why not just upgrade the stock and maybe the trigger and then you'll have a gun that will shoot as good if not better than a Sendero for a lot less money.
The last used one I saw was around 750,and NIB was around 1050.
I guess this is kinda where my rationale is at right now. Where I do my hunting predominantly, my stalks are short(under 2 miles) generally speaking. And like this year, had to shoot my deer at 400yds. I think that the heavier barrel and a good bipod would be super highly beneficial with the 3-600yd range, especially with some practice. I like my gun, but I think the heavier barrel would be nice. The nice part with the stainless fluted barrels is they are kinda in between the bull barrel and standard barrel and I think they are a great gun I guess. I am super seriously considering getting one. Also, I have a 700BDL 270 in a standard barrel that is a pretty mean shooter too that I can always take on a super long hike if need be. I don't konw, just kinda thinking about it I guess.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:38 AM   #6

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Can you afford to keep your current rifle and buy a Sendero? I'm sure you'd have seller's/trader's regret when getting rid of a good shooting rifle that hasn't let you down, not to mention sentimental value.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 06-02-2011, 01:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
Can you afford to keep your current rifle and buy a Sendero? I'm sure you'd have seller's/trader's regret when getting rid of a good shooting rifle that hasn't let you down, not to mention sentimental value.
Not really right now I couldn't. I'm going to head down to the gun shop and look at them again this weekend. I have a buddy who bought into that long range shooting system from Best of the West on TV, and they use a 7mm Sendero as one of their recommendations. He hikes that gun around the mountains of western wyoming elk and muley hunting and doesn't seem to have any complaints. All I know is when I held that rifle in the store, I practically fell in love. hahaha We'll see what I think on second thought though.

I know it's some extra weight, but there must be some people out there doing it that don't think it's a big deal.