Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Selling hunting guns?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2012, 09:38 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Selling hunting guns?

Hi all, new member here. First let me say that this is a fantastic forum that I found while searching. Thank you for providing it. I'm hoping that someone can help me out with a question. I recently took some rifles from a collector in trade for a Harley I had for sale. The problem I have is that I can't hunt with them in my state. These are fantastic guns with beauitiful wood and high power scopes and appear to have been used very little, if at all. Cailbers are 7mm mag, 22-250 and 338 win mag. All rugers. I would like to sell them to a person who would use them, instead of a wholeseller. What advice would you reccomend for me to do this? I do not have a ffl. Thanks in advance.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-27-2012, 09:48 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Likes Given: 9

Gunrunner.com

Old 04-27-2012, 09:53 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8393 Times on 3631 Posts
Likes Given: 1294

First, in MOST states, you can sell to another resident of the same state without being a FFL. But you did not tell us what state you are in. If you are transferring ownership across a state line, it must go TO a FFL. You do not need to BE a FFL.

You can put them up for sale in the classified section here, or on gunbroker.com, auctionarms,com, gunsamerica.com, etc.

Craig's list and ebay do not permit sale of guns.

You can also find a local gun shop that will take them on consignment. They sell them for you for an agreed amount.

Or, since they are in your way, you could just send them to me for free. I will use them, enjoy them, and never sell them to a wholesaler. Would not do this for everyone, but like to help out new folks.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:12 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Or, since they are in your way, you could just send them to me for free. I will use them, enjoy them, and never sell them to a wholesaler. Would not do this for everyone, but like to help out new folks.

Very funny. I can tell already that I will be enjoying this forum. I live in Indiana.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:51 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You can put them up for sale in the classified section here

I will try that tomorrow and see how it goes. I have no problem shipping them through an ffl dealer, I live in Indiana and these guns need to go to a state where they can be used.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:08 AM   #6

Liked 205 Times on 154 Posts

Hey I'm just below you here in ky, I'll hold the for you for 20 years or so until you an use them

Old 05-02-2012, 07:51 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You can put them up for sale in the classified section here

I tried, but I do not have the required amount of posts or the 15 day membership status. Once I have these things I will post some very nice guns at low prices. For now I'm doing much more reading then posting. Thank again

Old 05-04-2012, 01:05 PM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just a word of caution. If you post these guns for sale in your
local newspaper be sure to take precautions. Don't show the
guns at your home, find another place. Have someone with you
whenever you show the guns, armed if possible. Ask for ID if
someone wants to buy. If they are reluctant to provide ID maybe
you shouldn't be selling them a gun(s). Anyway, you get my point
by now. You don't know who you would be selling to.

Certified in napping
Certified in BBQ on the Green Egg

Old 05-04-2012, 01:34 PM   #9
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19881 Times on 11291 Posts
Likes Given: 50120

one of the safest ways i know of to sell a firearm is to put them up for sale at a gun store on consignment. the small fee they get for doing it takes a lot of hassle out of it for you. when a gun store does it, they have to enter them into their book as in possesion of them, plus when they sell it, they take care of the FFL transfer, and also their customers are already there to possibly buy a gun anyways.