Seeing what you're aiming at?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Seeing what you're aiming at?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2012, 11:07 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 988 Times on 651 Posts
Likes Given: 637

Default Seeing what you're aiming at?

So here's the deal......My eyes are not the best. I'm only 40 or so, this is partly a medical condition. I have been trying to shoot 22 mag at slightly longer distances, (for me anyway), and anything past 150', and all bets are off for seeing a bulls eye. I have been using Birchwood Casey RIGID Crosshair Target 1" Grid Pattern targets, and a Simmons 3-9 X 32 scope.

Now, under the circumstances, the results I'm getting are not bad, (for me anyway). 5 shots at 2"-, at 200 feet. I feel this rifle is capable of much more than this.

Is there anything I'm missing, a technique, or scope, or target to improve this? Or is not seeing the target - meaning that I cannot discern the black dot in the middle thru the scope, or the grid pattern, but I can see the paper, you know, just not clearly - normal?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-31-2012, 12:29 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Try different targets.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 08-31-2012, 03:10 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I would recommend different targets first, as that will be cheaper.

Have you ever shot a fine duplex target style scope? They make a world of difference when trying to create one ragged hole in paper. They suck for just about anything else...LOL

One thing you might want to try is just going to the store and looking through a couple of higher end scopes and see if the extra light transmission helps with your vision.

Simmons isn't a bad scope, but there is a difference between them and say a Leupold and that extra bit might make a difference for you in your groups.

For a .22mag 200 feet is a layup, so you should definitely see an improvement with some practice and perhaps a bit better gear.

Good luck.

JD

Old 08-31-2012, 03:23 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
So here's the deal......My eyes are not the best. I'm only 40 or so, this is partly a medical condition. I have been trying to shoot 22 mag at slightly longer distances, (for me anyway), and anything past 150', and all bets are off for seeing a bulls eye. I have been using Birchwood Casey RIGID Crosshair Target 1" Grid Pattern targets, and a Simmons 3-9 X 32 scope.

Now, under the circumstances, the results I'm getting are not bad, (for me anyway). 5 shots at 2"-, at 200 feet. I feel this rifle is capable of much more than this.

Is there anything I'm missing, a technique, or scope, or target to improve this? Or is not seeing the target - meaning that I cannot discern the black dot in the middle thru the scope, or the grid pattern, but I can see the paper, you know, just not clearly - normal?
A quick remedy of clarity of vision would be a visit to Dr. String1946's eye-chart found in Tail Trail forum.

Old 09-01-2012, 01:05 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1246 Times on 806 Posts
Likes Given: 2521

You need more magnification. I've got a cheap 4x16x40 Tasco worldclass on my .22 mag and it works pretty well (that used to be a good scope many years ago). A higher end 4x16 or something close would be even better but I couldn't see putting much into a scope for a .22 even if it is a mag. Just my opinion but you're better with high magnification even on a cheap scope than low magnification on a good scope if you're trying to shoot over 100 yards.

Old 09-01-2012, 04:40 PM   #6

Liked 988 Times on 651 Posts
Likes Given: 637

Thanks for the responses. I will check out some other higher end/more magnification scopes. After checking out some different targets.