Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Scout Scope for an 8mm Mauser (S/42K GEW 98)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2011, 04:23 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Scout Scope for an 8mm Mauser (S/42K GEW 98)

I went and fired my newly aquired 8mm Mauser today (traded my uncle a Llama .45 for it) and the safety is inoperable. Not because of defect, but because of the scope currently mounted on it is in the way. I was told I needed a scout scope to be able to use the safety. As I don't know much about scopes I was hoping someone here could point me in the right direction or maybe recommend a good scout scope.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-30-2011, 12:44 PM   #2

Liked 2176 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyGuy View Post
I went and fired my newly aquired 8mm Mauser today (traded my uncle a Llama .45 for it) and the safety is inoperable. Not because of defect, but because of the scope currently mounted on it is in the way. I was told I needed a scout scope to be able to use the safety. As I don't know much about scopes I was hoping someone here could point me in the right direction or maybe recommend a good scout scope.
Just order a scope friendly safety-
Lots of places stock them-
Numrich & Midway for a couple-
LOT cheeper than a scope!

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Last edited by HOSSFLY; 07-30-2011 at 12:51 PM.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:50 PM   #3

Liked 37 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Just in case you don't know, a scout scope (setup) is a long eye relief scope (pistol scope) that is on a mount (usually) located on top of your rear sight. A decent pistol type scope is not cheap and a scout scope mount add to cost.

As earlier reply stated, might be better, cheaper too, to get a replacement safety better suited for a scope. Might be able to do this....mauser safety doesn't necessarily need to be in a 12 O'clock position to work. I've a number of scoped mausers that I've been merely removed enough metal from the safety's tang (part you grab to engage safety) to allow it to move to a 10-11 O'clock position, which was good enough to engage the safety.