scope twists when shooting

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > scope twists when shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2011, 08:09 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default scope twists when shooting

my .270 scope recticle twists counter clockwise when shooting. after 20 rounds it seems to have rotated 5-10 degrees. Is this common and something I have to live with? I'm afraid of over tightening the rings on the scopes and damaging the scope somehow.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-23-2011, 08:12 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Have you considered putting some tape on the inside of the rings, against the tube?

Wait, do you meant the crosshairs rotate without the body of the scope rotating? If so, i think that is a fairly beat scope, sorry.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:15 PM   #3

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

No, not right. Scope should remain fixed once properly torqued in place.

Did you lap rings, are mounts tightly mounted to receiver? Have you tried swapping out rings...the ones you are using may already be damaged.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 09-23-2011, 08:16 PM   #4
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Is the entire scope moving in the rings,or is the reticle moving inside the scope?

If the scope is moving in the rings,make sure you have the correct rings for the size of the scope tube-1" or 30mm are the most common.A 1" tube will fit inside a 30mm ring,but you won't be able to secure the scope in them.

If the reticle inside the scope is moving,you have a broke scope,and need to send it in for repair or replace it with a better scope.

Old 09-24-2011, 12:23 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8883 Times on 3846 Posts
Likes Given: 1391

What he said up there ^^^.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 09-24-2011, 04:44 AM   #6

Liked 718 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Sounds like you just need to tighten the rings more.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.