Scope for a Rem 700 SPS Varmint in 308?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Scope for a Rem 700 SPS Varmint in 308?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2012, 02:18 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 50 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Default Scope for a Rem 700 SPS Varmint in 308?

This is my first rifle as I've been shooting handguns only for several years now. Well, I got 10/22 for my son and put a Bushnell Banner Dusk to Dawn 3-9x40 and it's a fun little rifle but I got the bug for big boy gun.

Plan is for a "Sniper" rifle...but I'm not a sniper...so yeah most likely just 100+ yards at the range.

As stated in the title it's a Rem 700 SPS Varmint in 308.

I've narrowed the scopes to the following
Nikon Prostaff 4-12x40 (Nikoplex)
Nikon Monarch 4-16x42 (Mildot)
Nikon Monarch 5-20x44 (Nikoplex)

Are the Monarchs worth the extra money or is is overkill for this rifle?

Will they really contribute to improved accuracy?

Would it be better to save money on scope (go with Prostaff) and upgrade to stock to H-S or similar?

I plan to bed and float the rifle so I think the better scope may be in order and I'd like the 20x magnification but I'm not sure if that's really significant over the 12x or 16x for 100-300 yards.

Any advantage to the Mildot over the Nikoplex in a range situation? I prefer the clean look of the Nikoplex but using the Mildot to range targets or adjust elevation and windage without adjusting the scope sounds like it would be cool.

Also any pointer on the best scope mounts would be great. I've seen videos for mounting including lapping the rings. Is that really necessary, what are the reasons for it?

One last thing...plan to use a Harris 6-9" hinged bipod to shoot from the bench or prone. Any comments on this?

Thanks in advance for your help!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Last edited by ZeusEcho; 02-21-2012 at 02:50 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-21-2012, 04:40 PM   #2

The 4-16x42 monarch wood be good one, the 5-20x44 monarch is still good but not that big of difference in power however it would take in more light for the cloudy days an still may not show that big off a difference at the yards you plan to shoot.I like the leupold dual STD mounts , the front base has a dovetail locking system that holds the dovetail ring rock solid an the rear base is adjustable, when set they both hold rock-solid. When you line them up use a pipe or wooden rod the size of the rings to turn an lock them an line them up straight for the scope. As for lapping the rings that's something for rings that don't line up , you can take a wooden rod put some wet-dry sand paper around it then sand the rings on the inside to line the scope up better or to jus to better fit a scope to the rings . Hope this may help a little I have some STD mounts on my 243 an they hold true with the scope for amazing accuracy compared to some of the rings I've had on the gun was worth the $$.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:53 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 50 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Many thanks for your comments Magnaiter!

Didn't realize there is an Optics forum...guess I should have posted this over there.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 02-21-2012, 08:26 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Spend alittle more and get a Leupold. A VX 11 is a great scope and the VX 111`s are even better. You havr the power range right for your shooting needs.

Catfish
Ohio