Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Scope mounting issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2009, 01:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Scope mounting issue

Hi, I could use some help, as I'm a beginner. I am mounting my first scope and having a clearance issue. I have a new Savage 116 that I'm mounting a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40 scope on. I'm using Warne Weaver-style 2-piece bases and LOW quick release rings from said company (as recommended on their website).

The bell has plenty of clearance from the barrel. My problem is with the bolt handle. It touches the ocular bell ever so slightly. What I mean is; if you wanted to cycle the bolt, you could do it slowly and carefully as not to hit the scope, however, if you lift the bolt up all the way it touches the ocular bell. It almost looks as if it doesn’t and will move past it, but I know it is coming into contact. Giving it a good quick cycle and it’s going to scratch it.

Most of what I've read about scope mounting has been a concern for clearance between the barrel and the scope's objective bell. Do I really need to go to a medium set of rings (against the manufacturer's specs) or am I doing something that is so obviously wrong (but I'm just not seeing it)? Hell, I could have the whole thing on backwards for all I know! Lol. Kidding, of course.

I've attached some pics and yes, this is a lefty rifle.

1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-16-2009, 02:51 PM   #2

Default Forget it

Forget it. I figured out the obvious. The website I ordered it from said that the LOW rings would accomodate up to a 40mm lens (the manufacturer's recomendation I referred to earlier was only for the base). The package says 36mm. I was so excited that I didn't even look at the packaging when I received it!

I just ordered the exchange for the medium ones. Sorry about that. Anyway, if anyone reads this who doesn't know how to mount a scope, beware! Websites can be wrong!

Old 05-16-2009, 02:57 PM   #3

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

I hate it when I have to go back and read the instructions.

Feels like failure.

Old 05-16-2009, 03:07 PM   #4

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

As soon as I finished the first sentance I knew you needed med rings. It happens to everyone at least once. Don't worry. At least you didn't do like a new shooter I knew once (NO NOT ME). He put a 40mm obj scope on a heavy barrel with low rings. Well Lets just say the scope is now a $500 paper weight. He torqued them rings so tight it crushed and bent the scope tube. Because the obj was touching the barrel.