Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Scope Mount Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2010, 06:33 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3684 Times on 1817 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Default Scope Mount Question

This is a serious brain teaser for you scope mounting guru's out there. Hear it goes...
I've got a Leupold VX 3 40mm mounted to my Thompson Center 30.06.
It's mounted in a Leupold QR "Quick Realease" mount/ring set up.
Today I purchased a 20" free floated flat top upper receiver for my M4 so I can get into varmint hunting.
I'd like to be able to use my VX3 without take the QR rings off the scope or the QR base off the Thompson.
I was scouring the net today for a QR mount that will lock onto my flat tops picattiny rail and accept the QR rings on my scope which of course are positioned for the QR base on my Thompson. I had no luck.

Does anything like this exist?

I've found plenty of QR rings that will fit a picatinny but that would require me to remove the QR rings for the Thompson.

If I could find the mount I'm dreaming of it would allow me to drop the VX 3, Thompson rings and all, onto the AR, rezero, record the difference, and switch back to Thompson come deer season w/out going through a box of 30.06 to find zero again.

I may be looking a level of interchangeabillity that just does not exist without some custom mill work.

Advice would be appreciated.

Tackleberry1

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-22-2010, 10:00 AM   #2

I think I am getting it, but I don't think you are going to find a Leupold QR base that will fit on top of a 1913/ Weaver rail. That's a pretty obscure combination.

I might offer that you could get a picatinney mount for your T/C (what model? EGW makes a 1913 mount for the Encore). Get Q/R rings that fit a 1913 mount. Then you could swap back and forth. The only issue I foresee is the height of the scope. Assuming you are using medium or low rings now on the T/C for proper cheek weld, I doubt you'll get clearance enough with mediums and definitely not with low rings, on the AR. If you do manage to get the clearance, your cheek weld and head position will be all jacked up because the scope is too low. Generally you need high or extra high rings on a flat top AR.

Conversly, if you get high rings in order to be comaptible with the AR flat top, when you swap the scope back to the T/C, you run into the same problem as having mediums on the AR, differing now in that the scope is too high. You might remedy that by using medium or low rings and putting a riser on the AR to remedy both the clearance and cheek weld/ head position issue.

I realize you'd have to buy a new base for the T/C as well as new rings, but that's all I can come up with. Sucks that you might not be able to use what you already have. I find myself doing that all the time.

Good luck.

EDIT: Sorry wrong pic on the Burris rings, they're not Q/R but you get the idea.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Last edited by jeepcreep927; 03-22-2010 at 10:03 AM.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:40 AM   #3

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

first both rifles are going to be shooting to different POA's and POI's so switching scopes is going to be a PITMFA. Your going to need to sight it in each time it hits the other rifle. Rifles are like women. They all like Diamonds just some like 1 ct and others like 4 ct and still others like 2ct fancy yellow diamonds.

In the end I think it would be better off to buy another scope even if it is a lower end scope. The Nikon Monarch and Bushnell Elite 4200 and 6500 scopes will run right with the VX-III or VX-3 line of scopes from Leupold. Also take a look at Sightron. The SIII will out shine the most expensive Leupold for half the cost. The SII will hang with the VX-3 as well. All of these scopes offer the same clarity and brightness as a VX-III or VX-3 Leupold for a fraction of the cost.

Just my thoughts.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:18 PM   #4

Liked 47 Times on 28 Posts

Also, if you decide you need them, I have for sale a set of Burris Xtreme Tactical rings in "high" (3/4 inch) that were a little too high for my rifle that I ordered off the web but are a PIA to return on the web.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:25 PM   #5

Yeah, .223 to 30-06. You'll have to sight in again anyways. Shoulda brought that up too...

Tango, do you know how many tired brain cells I killed and how many tax dollars I wasted figuring out a way to work that out while I was on the clock? I'll just give you my home address and you can come over and kick me in the baby maker...

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 03-22-2010, 11:54 PM   #6
Crazy Azz Redneck

Liked 989 Times on 565 Posts
Likes Given: 440

Once again,Tango is correct. Just save some money and get another scope for your AR.And do take a look at Sightron scopes,I just put a SIII on a new rifle and it is a great scope.All the bells and whistles for alot less money.

Old 04-10-2010, 05:35 AM   #7

You guys were right. I could not find the QR combo I was looking for. I picked up a YHM extended riser and a pair of WARNE 1" rings. Looks beefy and rock solid. Got it out this afternoon for the first test drive and a pulled several 1/2" MOA groups at 100.

Very Happy!

Thanks for the advice on the "other" scopes but I'm partial to the VX 3 with it's Boone & Crocket reticle so I think come September I'll just pick up a new one for my Thompson.

Old 04-24-2010, 03:23 PM   #8

I've gotta plug these guys from J&S out of Olympia WA.

They can build an upper receiver.

I think they cut their own barrels too. Mine's stamped J&S 1/8.

I picked up the complete upper pictured above which included the 20" heave free float, A2 bird cage, quad mount gas block, houge free float aluminum tube, mil spec receiver, complete MIB bolt, carrier, and charging handle for $500.00, less the scope/mount of course.

Had her out 3 times thus far an consistantly cutting sub moa groups!

Glad I found these guys at the Portland gun show. I had nearly dropper $900 on wiz bang set up from YMH.

The $400 difference was enough to push me toward a smaller shop and these guys know what there doing.

Tack.

Old 05-05-2010, 02:03 PM   #9

Default 300 yard results

When zero'd at 200, I've got 1" of rise at 100 and 8" of drop at 300 consistantly. The pick is 300 yards using the relevant "lower" reticle on my VX3's Boone & Crocket reticle. The pic is sideways, rounds impacted 6" high and slightly left. Conditions were overcast w/5 to 10 mph winds from right to left.

Sub 2" groups like this were the norm for the day at 300 yards. Looks like I've got a 3/4 moa gun. The Boone & Crocket reticle did not really work for the 55 gr loads I was firing but they grouped well and once I dial the scope for 300 I should be ready for the next competition.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:01 PM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Hey Tack, thats a nice lookin m-4 ya got there, nice shootin, enjoy!!

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. Thomas Jefferson