Scope issues - Page 9
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Scope issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2012, 09:16 PM   #81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Sniper03. I have several pics posted in earlier pages of this thread. I think I be got it figured out now but take a look and see what you think. Also have a today pick with my new mount installed

Old 06-03-2012, 09:22 PM   #82

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Not like a book because I'm understanding what you saying to me now. So I need to adjust that as close as I can to distance of target. Man I'm glad I joined this app. Your guys are great. My wife gets sick of hearing talkin about guns. Hahaha

Old 06-03-2012, 09:39 PM   #83
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3432 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 1730

Bushmaster,

Here is my prognosis for the problem. First of all the Scope is back too far! You can not move it forward to the proper position because the Elevation Turret strikes the rear of tke front Ring. You need one of the mounts that shift the scope forward like the Rock River mount one of the guys has pictured here or one of the Rock River Scout Rails with Medium Rings. this gives you total forward and rearward adjustment if using a scout rail. The Eye Piece should be even with the rear of your Charging Handle on the Receiver when properly installed. It is for one thing nearly impossible to shoot it the way it is at the present in a good prone position. The fact that you have a set of high rings is another possibility which if the scope had limitations will create a problem. I always use the medium height rings which does not require the scope to need as many MOA elevation adjustment when zeroing the rifle. Looks like you got a fine rifle there! And did you get it worked out since your last post?

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Last edited by Sniper03; 06-03-2012 at 09:42 PM.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:44 PM   #84

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

image-110257243.jpg

Here is what it looks like now. Is this the pic you were referring to?

Old 06-03-2012, 10:02 PM   #85
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3432 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 1730

Bushmaster,

You rock brother THATS IT!

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy
EagleSix Likes This 
Old 06-03-2012, 10:10 PM   #86

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks. I got this far with eaglesix and snakes suggestions. They've stuck it out through all my stupid questions. Looking through the barrel on target I can now get crosshairs on target with plenty of adjustment left. Have a new scope on layaway to go with new mount so I think I should be good to go now

Old 06-03-2012, 10:21 PM   #87

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleSix View Post
The front lens set is the Objective lens and it may or may not be adjustable. If it is adjustable we refer to it as an AO Objective Lens (AO = adjustable objective).

The adjustable objective lens provides a means to adjust for any parallax error. It's kind of like our vision.....when object are closer to us, say a few feet away to 50 feet away, we cannot focus on two different distances at the same time. Same with a scope......with reduced power and some other engineering, scopes can appear to be in focus, but not really. But often they are better at focusing than the human vision is. But just like the focus on a camera, or binoculars, once the object we view is way out there, the focus remains the and we refer to this as infinity.

So most scope with an adjustable objective will allow us to focus the target image within a range.....an example would be from 50 feet out to about 700 yards when the scope reaches the point of infinity. Anything closer to us than 50 feet we cannot adjust for and anything farther than 700 yards, the focus isn't an issue.

When we focus on the target, with an adjustable objective, we are putting the focus plane point exactly at the reticle. The ocular (rear lens) allows us to adjust our eye vision to focus on the reticle, and the adjustable objective lens allows us to bring the focus of the target onto the same plane as the reticle. When this is done correctly, we can look through the scope at an angle (not perfectly behind the center line of the scope) and the reticle will remain in alignment on the target (parallax error free). If the objective lens is out of focus when we shift our eye from left to right or up and down, the reticle will appear to move on the target, even though we haven't moved the gun (parallax error exist).

Some scopes have the parallax adjustment on a side turret knob (usually opposite the windage turret) and they accomplish the objective focus via an internal lens set.

Some scope don't have any parallax adjustment. This doesn't make them of less quality, it simply means the parallax distance is preset and it's more important that we get a solid and repeatable cheek spot weld on the stock and center our eye behind the scope. WOW.....it's getting to be a book.......Snakedriver or anyone......let me know if I need a correction!!

No Six, I'd say you have it nailed pretty well. Adjustable objective scopes are nice, but are not all that common on long range scopes. Yes Bushmaster, you try to set the AO on the front to the range you are shooting at. 100, 200 yards or the little sideways figure eight is for infinity, which you would use for very long ranges. Most centerfire rifle scopes have a fixed objective of 100 yards, where .22 rimfire scopes are set for 50 yards. As Eagle Six says, adjusting a ajustable objective scope to match the distance you are shooting at will help to eliminate parallax error and help to place you crosshairs in the same place every time.

Last edited by Snakedriver; 06-03-2012 at 10:26 PM.
EagleSix Likes This 
Old 06-03-2012, 10:42 PM   #88

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Sounds good. Thanks a lot for info. Next time I go out I will try it out. I've been leaving it on 100 and 200 yards usually because I never seen much difference so I wasn't real worried about it. I still have been shooting real well I've only been into scopes for the past few years. I've always had a few guns with scopes but since I've gotten older I'm really more into them now. See I've kinda gave up a lot my hunting. Except for coyotes and a few other varmints. And in Illinois you can't hunt with high powered rifle exempt for varmints. Everything else hunted is with shotguns. I like shotguns but am not a huge fan. I like precise longer shots now and accuracy.
EagleSix Likes This 
Old 06-03-2012, 11:08 PM   #89

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakedriver View Post
No Six, I'd say you have it nailed pretty well. Adjustable objective scopes are nice, but are not all that common on long range scopes. Yes Bushmaster, you try to set the AO on the front to the range you are shooting at. 100, 200 yards or the little sideways figure eight is for infinity, which you would use for very long ranges. Most centerfire rifle scopes have a fixed objective of 100 yards, where .22 rimfire scopes are set for 50 yards. As Eagle Six says, adjusting a ajustable objective scope to match the distance you are shooting at will help to eliminate parallax error and help to place you crosshairs in the same place every time.
Good points Snake. You can actually send your Leupold to their custom shop and have the parallax set at a specific distance. I'm sure other custom shops offer the same service. If we are consistent with our cheek spot weld and lined up perfectly centered behind the scope, any parallax error is avoided. However, depending on the type of shooting you are doing, getting that perfect alignment may be difficult and for some it is difficult for them to recognize when they are off center. So even when we are using a parallax adjustment (front or side type), we still continue our quest to be as consistent as possible aligning our eye with the center line of the scope.

The reason the parallax is not as important with long range shooting, as in 800 yards and further, that distance is usually beyond the correction range of the parallax correction of the little sideways figure eight of infinity (as long as we have the adjustment set for infinity). I set my scope (it has side parallax focus adjustment) as a standard to infinity, as usually I'm setting up for a 600 yard plus shot. If the target is closer I hope to have time to make a precise adjustment. If I were a police marksman, I would probably leave it set at 100 yards, as that setting is closer to the average distance they will encounter. If I were hunting deer or elk, I would probably be using a different scope without parallax adjustment, but I can still set my Leupold to infinity and rely on my spot weld to center my eye, and that keeps it closer to that KISS method.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:33 AM   #90

Liked 326 Times on 218 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Late to the party once again.............

I have found that the Burris small riser blocks, with Burris Signature Zee rings in high to be a good AR setup. Might be too high for some (so then try Medium).

The Signature Zee rings have the plastic inserts, so they don't mark up your $$$ scope.

Should you have any alignment issues, you can buy an offset insert kit. Those kits helped save a TC Encore and a H&R Handi rifle that were drilled off center. You can use the offset inserts to angle the scope for longer range shooting as well.