Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Scope issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2012, 08:28 PM   #21
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1150 Times on 663 Posts
Likes Given: 552

What scope is that in the pic?
Looking at the pic,you should have no problems getting that scope sighted in.
My RRA Varminter has an EOP upper receiver,and the scope sets up higher than yours from the bore centerline.It is zeroed at 100 yards,but I still have plenty of adjustment left for longer shots.

I use a Burris PEPR mount on my 458 SOCOM,and it works just fine also.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:36 PM   #22

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly
What scope is that in the pic?
Looking at the pic,you should have no problems getting that scope sighted in.
My RRA Varminter has an EOP upper receiver,and the scope sets up higher than yours from the bore centerline.It is zeroed at 100 yards,but I still have plenty of adjustment left for longer shots.

I use a Burris PEPR mount on my 458 SOCOM,and it works just fine also.
The scope on it in that pic is a $70 dollar BSA I was tryin out its just long because of the sun shade. Theres plenty of room to go forward. That's just where it felt good. Do you think I should install the 1 in platform. When tryin to sight in I run out of up adjustment to line crosshairs to target

Old 06-02-2012, 08:42 PM   #23

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushmaster74 View Post
The scope on it in that pic is a $70 dollar BSA I was tryin out its just long because of the sun shade. Theres plenty of room to go forward. That's just where it felt good. Do you think I should install the 1 in platform. When tryin to sight in I run out of up adjustment to line crosshairs to target
Bushmaster, all joking aside my guess is it's the rings giving you the problem and not the scope. You might try exchanging the front ring and the back ring. I've heard of that sort of thing fixing problems like yours. The rings should work ok though, they don't look like they're wrong for the job.

If you can't get the rings you've got to work, you should move on to another solution.

Last edited by Snakedriver; 06-02-2012 at 08:44 PM.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:42 PM   #24

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
1 in and 1 in tall. Sorry bout that. I seen someone say take the shim out of the ring before shooting. Is that gonna hurt something by leaving it in? I'm gonna take pics right now and put on my profile.
Exactly where is the shim and how do you know it is .020?

Old 06-02-2012, 08:45 PM   #25

Did you try bore sighting like Txhillbilly and I previously suggested and what were the results?

Old 06-02-2012, 08:51 PM   #26

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

image-2378172945.jpg

Does that look too high??? Or stupid???

Old 06-02-2012, 08:55 PM   #27

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've used several different sets of ring some high and medium I just installed in inch spacer. I know it's .020 shim cuz I measued with a caliper. It's a piece of a paper shim for shimming a pto on a transmission I've switched rings front to back Its driving me nuts

Old 06-02-2012, 08:56 PM   #28

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The shim is under the scope tube in the rear ring on bottom only

Old 06-02-2012, 09:00 PM   #29

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Attachment 47697

Does that look too high??? Or stupid???
Yeah, not an improvement IMO. 2.5" to 3" from the center of the bore to the centerline of the scope is about the ideal height for a scope on an AR.

Any chance of borrowing another scope from someone or swapping one out off of another rifle of yours to see if the scope is the problem?

Last edited by Snakedriver; 06-02-2012 at 09:03 PM.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:01 PM   #30

As Snakedriver suggested, you can swap the rings and check the results. I agree with him it probably will not make a difference, and if they are inexpensive, I would think they are not a long range set, but if they were (one ring standing taller than the other, giving a similar result of a 20 MOA base, [I've never heard of such a thing!]) it could tell us something.

It appears your rear ring can be positioned 1 more slot to the rear, the the front ring positioned 1 more slot to the front. This has little to do with your main problem, but it is a good idea the position the rings as far apart as the scope, mount, and function, will allow, as this makes provides the best rigid mount as possible.

The position of the scope, although it does look a little farther to the rear than necessary, depends on how you hold the rifle when shooting. The scope has a preset eye relief and you need to position the for/aft position to optimize on the eye relief distance. The height of the scope doesn't appear to be that low, but again it depends on how chunky your cheeks are. With your cheek laying on the top of the stock (comb), you should be able to center your eye looking through the ocular lens (lens farthest to the back of the scope). If you can....you don't need it any higher and doing so will cause other shooting problems. However, if you can't get down on the scope to see through the center......you should try the riser you have or other mounts as suggested by others in this thread.

Here is a photo of a scope on an AR-15, which is a little higher than yours, but without the short riser, I can still get a solid cheek spot weld on the stock comb and line up with the scope.