scope
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > scope

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2012, 02:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
WARRIOR78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 22
Default scope

can anyone recommend a good scope for DPMS LR-308? nothing to over the top like trijicon.

__________________
WARRIOR78 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 04-24-2012, 06:31 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
pioneer461's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 938
Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Stick with well known, major manufacturers, preferably US manufacturers, and you should be ok. It depends on what you want to use the rifle for, hunting, target, defense......? I tend to like Leupold scopes because I used to work for them and know 1st hand the quality that goes into their products. Plus they have a dyn-o-mite warranty. The down side is they tend to cost more, but then you get what you pay for. In my opinion, it makes no sense to put cheap optics on a quality firearm.

__________________
Sui Juris
Cogito, ergo armatum sum
NRA Life Member / SAF Member
Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved
pioneer461 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:27 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,394
Liked 279 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Default

What are you wanting one for . Close up tactical ar ? Or for hunting that can cover all bases well from 50 yards to 400. Redfield ,leupold ,burris ,regular 2-7 up to a 3-12 plane jane Plex retical . Price can run from 150 bucks to 600. And all do the same thing well.

__________________
hardluk1 is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:45 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
WARRIOR78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1
What are you wanting one for . Close up tactical ar ? Or for hunting that can cover all bases well from 50 yards to 400. Redfield ,leupold ,burris ,regular 2-7 up to a 3-12 plane jane Plex retical . Price can run from 150 bucks to 600. And all do the same thing well.
want one for up to 700-800 yards.
__________________
WARRIOR78 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:13 AM   #5
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Txhillbilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,569
Liked 1255 Times on 712 Posts
Likes Given: 598

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIOR78 View Post
want one for up to 700-800 yards.
If your really planning on shooting at those ranges,you'll need a quality scope in order to see what your wanting to hit.
Of course not everyone can afford or wants to spend the big $$$$ on scopes from S&B,Premier,March,Zeiss Hensoldt,IOR Valdada,or Nightforce.

If you want a high quality scope that will do the job day in/out,and will keep you around the $1k mark,take a look at Sightron SIII and Vortex Viper PST scopes.
Leupold,Nikon,Burris,Bushnell,and Weaver also make some nice scopes,but I would still choose the Sightron SIII or the Viper PST over any of them for the money.

I personally like the Sightron SIII scopes and have 4 of them in 6-24x50,as well as Weaver's Super Slam and Classic Extreme scopes.The Weaver's clarity is right up there close to the Sightrons,but they don't have anywhere near the adjustment range for shooting really long ranges.But the weapons that they are mounted on are for shorter range calibers,223's and 458 SOCOM.
__________________
Txhillbilly is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:23 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
WARRIOR78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly

If your really planning on shooting at those ranges,you'll need a quality scope in order to see what your wanting to hit.
Of course not everyone can afford or wants to spend the big $$$$ on scopes from S&B,Premier,March,Zeiss Hensoldt,IOR Valdada,or Nightforce.

If you want a high quality scope that will do the job day in/out,and will keep you around the $1k mark,take a look at Sightron SIII and Vortex Viper PST scopes.
Leupold,Nikon,Burris,Bushnell,and Weaver also make some nice scopes,but I would still choose the Sightron SIII or the Viper PST over any of them for the money.

I personally like the Sightron SIII scopes and have 4 of them in 6-24x50,as well as Weaver's Super Slam and Classic Extreme scopes.The Weaver's clarity is right up there close to the Sightrons,but they don't have anywhere near the adjustment range for shooting really long ranges.But the weapons that they are mounted on are for shorter range calibers,223's and 458 SOCOM.
yea I figured the cost was high. but i wasn't sure in a brand. you guys helped alot and I really appreciate it thank you.
__________________
WARRIOR78 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:29 AM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona,Glendale, Arizona
Posts: 1,642
Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIOR78 View Post
can anyone recommend a good scope for DPMS LR-308? nothing to over the top like trijicon.
I have several of the Bushnell Elite 3200 Tactical 5-15X models mounted on 2 .308's, 2 .300 Win. Mags., and I like them so much I mounted one on my Bushmaster BA-50 .50 BMG rifle. They have sharpness and clarity that are as good, and in some cases better than many of my Leupolds. With 15X and using the Mil-Dot system, shots to 1,000 yards are obtainable if the shooter does his part. They run around $400.00.
__________________
billt is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:47 PM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
WARRIOR78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt

I have several of the Bushnell Elite 3200 Tactical 5-15X models mounted on 2 .308's, 2 .300 Win. Mags., and I like them so much I mounted one on my Bushmaster BA-50 .50 BMG rifle. They have sharpness and clarity that are as good, and in some cases better than many of my Leupolds. With 15X and using the Mil-Dot system, shots to 1,000 yards are obtainable if the shooter does his part. They run around $400.00.
thanks for the heads up I will Definetly look into those.
__________________
WARRIOR78 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Explain to me the use of a Red Dot scope or T-Dot scope. safedman General Rifle Discussion 7 10-16-2011 02:11 PM
10/22 to scope or not to scope? ta1588 .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion 32 05-11-2011 09:07 PM
what scope to buy??? xr650rider Optics & Mounts 5 03-31-2011 04:39 AM
NcSTAR Compact Rifle Scope - 6x32 Scope iskatel Optics & Mounts 18 05-08-2010 05:22 AM
Best scope under 100$ Josey Wales '94 Optics & Mounts 31 02-17-2010 03:17 AM