School me on M1A's - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

School me on M1A's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2010, 09:04 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6820 Times on 3623 Posts
Likes Given: 513

my opinion they are big huge heavy rifles which were created as a sort of cross between the BAR and M1 Garand from WW2. it did niether the role of the BAR well or that of the garand well. honestly it did nothing really well during its service time. it has however found a niche with the competition circuit when it comes to long range rifle shooting. this lead to civilian acceptance to a short degree which continues today.

if your getting it cuz ya like em excellent. if your getting it cuz other people like em prolly a not a good idea. since your asking on a forum what others opinions of em are it seems to me you havent made your mind up and you really need to learn more about em.

i used to have one and sold it. i found it just was too heavy and clumsy of a rifle for the round it fired. i know it is heresy but im not a M1A/M14 fan.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:41 PM   #12

Likes Given: 2

I love my SA M1A. What others see as "huge and heavy," I see as solid and comfy. Just a case of differing opinions. Have you actually shot one before? If you haven't handled and shot one I strongly suggest you do here pretty soon. In this day and age where it seems like everything is getting lighter and smaller, an M1A is def a different feel than most folks are used to.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:21 PM   #13

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I have three SA M1As in my safe. Two are loaded and one is a standard. All three have been fully accurized and shoot extremely tight groups less than 1/2 MOA at 100 yds.
I used one of them for deer hunting this past season and it was an excellent performer. Took a 6 pt buck with it and also a doe with head shot at about 150 yds.
I am partial to the M1A since the weapon i trained with in the 60's was the M14. They are fantastic rifles and frankly I don't see how anyone could say different. It is a rifle your life can depend upon because it will get the job done with ease. Why else would the army be bringing M14s out of moth balls and putting them back into service?
I vote go for it.
m1as.jpg  

Old 02-24-2010, 11:27 PM   #14

Liked 86 Times on 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbad-ratman View Post
I love my SA M1A. What others see as "huge and heavy," I see as solid and comfy. Just a case of differing opinions. Have you actually shot one before? If you haven't handled and shot one I strongly suggest you do here pretty soon. In this day and age where it seems like everything is getting lighter and smaller, an M1A is def a different feel than most folks are used to.
I've handled one on several occasions, but never fired one. A good friend of mine owns one.

I'm over 5.56 or .223, and I dont like AR's all that much. I've always loved the feel and looks of the M1A, and have heard how much people love them as well, plus...ya cant go wrong with 7.62

Just looking for info on the different models, as I said, not whether or not I should get one. Mainly looking for advantages/disadvantages in the different styles.

I'm a big guy, tall with long arms and whatnot, so big rifles don't bother me.

Andrew - Landscape architecture student. Not landscaper

Old 02-24-2010, 11:37 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

The only reason I sold my SA Scout Squad was because of a financial crunch. If I can ever get ahead enough, I will buy another in a heartbeat.

For now, I make do with its Daddy, a 1943 Springfield M1 Garand.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-25-2010, 12:13 AM   #16

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

And CA357 there ain't nothin' wrong with that 1943 Springfield M1 Garand either. I have a few M1s and love them all too. They along with the M1A will get the job done when all else fails.
I must say though that I believe the M1A/M14 to be the finest rifle I have ever been acquainted with.
It is unfortunate that General Patton didn't live long enough to meet the '14.
Mcnamara probably would have had some competition.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:22 AM   #17

Liked 48 Times on 28 Posts

How can anyone not love an M1A
School me on M1A's - General Rifle Discussion

Old 02-25-2010, 02:20 AM   #18

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

That's right Wambli, just one touch and an informal introduction then the fever starts. The M1A fever is as contagious as the Garand fever. One turns into two and then so on.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:06 AM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So I guess this isn't the right thread to look for a non-biased comparison between the M1A and the AR-10? HaHaHaHaHa!

I bought a stripped AR-15 lower just because I thought the current administration would ban them, but I'm not in a real hurry to build it because I think it's a useless round for close in defense and long range.

I'm of the opinion that the .308 is far superior to the .223. That got me to thinking about scrapping the AR-15 idea and building a AR-10. I've already got my Rem700VTR for my EOW (End of the World) Long Range gun...figured I'd build a .308 AR for my EOW Close-In gun and only have to scrounge around for one bullet type.

Then I eventually got into the idea of a M1A and that's where I'm at now. If I already have long range covered with the 700, it seems that the AR would be the logical choice because it's lighter, shorter, and there's a billion accessories to customize it with.................................buuuuuuuuuuuu uut, it's NOT an M1A.

An AR-10 is like the newer sleeker youngster that just got out of college and forced the more qualified, but higher priced old guy to be downsized. I myself am a youngster of sorts (32) but my wisdom is older than my years, and if it's my business, I'll usually take the loyal reliable more expensive sure thing any day over something that's new and looks good.

So what now? lol.

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who don't" -Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-26-2010, 12:09 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud4Brains View Post
So I guess this isn't the right thread to look for a non-biased comparison between the M1A and the AR-10? HaHaHaHaHa!

I bought a stripped AR-15 lower just because I thought the current administration would ban them, but I'm not in a real hurry to build it because I think it's a useless round for close in defense and long range.

I'm of the opinion that the .308 is far superior to the .223. That got me to thinking about scrapping the AR-15 idea and building a AR-10. I've already got my Rem700VTR for my EOW (End of the World) Long Range gun...figured I'd build a .308 AR for my EOW Close-In gun and only have to scrounge around for one bullet type.

Then I eventually got into the idea of a M1A and that's where I'm at now. If I already have long range covered with the 700, it seems that the AR would be the logical choice because it's lighter, shorter, and there's a billion accessories to customize it with.................................buuuuuuuuuuuu uut, it's NOT an M1A.

An AR-10 is like the newer sleeker youngster that just got out of college and forced the more qualified, but higher priced old guy to be downsized. I myself am a youngster of sorts (32) but my wisdom is older than my years, and if it's my business, I'll usually take the loyal reliable more expensive sure thing any day over something that's new and looks good.

So what now? lol.
you can always give the old guy an office position so he stays with the team. course, dont know how that would equate to an M1A...