School me on M1A's
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > School me on M1A's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2010, 03:13 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 73 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default School me on M1A's

Hello Folks!

After a long and drawn out conversation with my father, who is more or less dead set on getting me a graduation present, He suggested a new gun, because it's something I'll have forever, will always enjoy, and will have sentimental value attached to it. I suggested nothing, just their presence at graduation would be enough (I only get to see them once or twice a year), but he wont have that...

I guess I can live with that...haha.

Anyway, an M1A has always been on the top of my list, but I realize I know nothing about them. I had a mini-14, and love the reliability/simplicity of the action, so, M1A seems good to me.

I'd love to have something capable of some long range shooting, which is where I'm a little unsure of what model would be best.

I've heard people raving about the Scout Squad, perfect balance between the little bitty Socoms and the full size Standard or Loaded models.

What things do i need to consider? What should I look for? I'm not even sure of pricing. I've seen Socoms for about 1500 locally I think.

As I said, school me! I don't know enough about em, so teach me!!!!

Pics of any you own are greatly appreciated!

Andrew - Landscape architecture student. Not landscaper

Last edited by Dr. Marneaus; 02-24-2010 at 03:17 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-24-2010, 04:56 AM   #2

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Check out LRB Arms. They use USGI parts or a new forged equivalent.

Or check out Smith Enterprise.

Springfield Armory makes excellent rifles but have been using cast parts for many years.

The M14/M1A features the best sights ever used on a battle rifle, excellent ergonomics, excellent trigger, AK reliability, durability matched by few, and are intended for riflemen.

My LRB M25 will shoot 5/8" or better groups at 100.

Some of mine are pictured in other threads on here somewhere.

If you want a semi auto .308/7.62x51 rifle, you won't regret an M14. There is no better .308/7.62x51 battle rifle.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:17 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Check out LRB Arms. They use USGI parts or a new forged equivalent.

Or check out Smith Enterprise.

Springfield Armory makes excellent rifles but have been using cast parts for many years.

The M14/M1A features the best sights ever used on a battle rifle, excellent ergonomics, excellent trigger, AK reliability, durability matched by few, and are intended for riflemen.

My LRB M25 will shoot 5/8" or better groups at 100.

Some of mine are pictured in other threads on here somewhere.

If you want a semi auto .308/7.62x51 rifle, you won't regret an M14. There is no better .308/7.62x51 battle rifle.
I know I wont regret one! haha.

Are any of the non-springfields readily available at gun stores? I prefer to support my local shops, and There are plenty for me to run around to, and I have a feeling what I choose will be largely based upon what is available, in stock.

edit: noticed the LRB arms are about 2500 bucks starting......well...that aint gonna happen

Old 02-24-2010, 12:23 PM   #4

Liked 48 Times on 28 Posts

SA has been using cast parts for years and they have had no isues with them. I have an SA and many of my friends do to including sevaral that bet their bacon on them. None has failed.

I have a SA "Loaded" and I can bust 16oz plastic water bottles with it at 100 yards (open sights) with boring regularity. With a scope the rifle will reach out as far as you'll ever need it too.

Prices on them are not getting any cheaper so jump on the bandwagon as early as you can. You won't ever regret getting an M1A.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:05 PM   #5

Opinions on the different models of springers?

Advantages, disadvantages?

I dont think I could go any higher price wise, than the Loaded, probably be between the Standard and the Scout Squad, in all honesty.

Preferences?

Old 02-24-2010, 05:26 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

FWIW, I had an M1A Scout Squad and loved it. If you want more accuracy at distance, go with the standard/longer barrel, maybe with the Nat'l Match barrel. If you really want a tack driver, the Whitefeather is the way to go. Of course the prices go up as well.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-24-2010, 06:19 PM   #7

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Here's my Polytech M14S, it has a forged receiver. I bought it new many years ago and just recently fired it, it has less than 100 rounds thru it so no head space issues yet. I refinished the stock, put a SEI USCG muzzle brake and NM front site on it.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:25 PM   #8

Liked 75 Times on 56 Posts

I've had several Springfield M1As over the years and they were all great rifles. I do have a preference for the older ones with all USGI parts which come up for sale periodically. The newer current production M1As are still fine rifles and you can't go wrong with one.
dsc04710.jpg  

Old 02-24-2010, 06:34 PM   #9

Goregrous rifles...I hope hope hope I can get my hands on one.

Is there any big accuracy differences between the longer and shorter versions?

Old 02-24-2010, 07:05 PM   #10

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
Goregrous rifles...I hope hope hope I can get my hands on one.

Is there any big accuracy differences between the longer and shorter versions?
Bbl length affects velocity more than accuracy. Sight radius affects accuracy.

The Loaded Model has a medium weight bbl, so if you plan to carry it a lot that may be a factor. But the Loaded models tend to shoot REALLY well (but most M14's do).

When you buy one, get a spare USGI extractor. M14 extractors are getting spendy, but M1 Garand extractors work fine in M14's. You may also want to track down a spare USGI hammer (once again an M1 Garand hammer will work). They are both super easy to swap out.