SCAR 17S First Impressions with HD Video
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > SCAR 17S First Impressions with HD Video

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2012, 03:53 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 119 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default SCAR 17S First Impressions with HD Video

Unboxing
Very well packaged and shipped by GrabAGun. The FN box was well constructed. Nothing fancy, but gets the job done. You'd think for a $2500+ rifle you'd get something a little better than a bunch of cardboard, but hey, then it would cost several hundred more bucks. The rifle is simply beautiful and intriguing. It makes a great first impression. Screams bad arse.

First Look
Picked it up and was impressed at how light the rifle is. Lots of plastic helps keep the weight down to be sure. A bit intimidating after shooting 7.62 out of the all wood and steel M1A, but ... polymers have come a long way. All controls were rather intuitive, and I was operating all the various buttons and such immediately. May have to break down and read the manual soon.

Locking and loading for the first time
Ammo loaded up easily into the 20 round magazine. Something about that 7.62 round makes me smile. Such a big rugged round. Magazine is easily inserted into the rifle, secures well. Chambering was a breeze, nice audible feedback. Charging handle works just fine. May have to look at some after-market options there, but nothing urgent, by any means. Front and rear sights move easily, sight picture is great. Reminds me of a ghost ring system. Butt stock gives you a lot of options with length of pull and cheek riser.

Firing Position
Rifle is easily shouldered and rises very naturally. I have no front vert hold for it yet, but was able to use it comfortable with the rails. I was wearing shooting gloves. It comes up naturally and easily.

First Shots
Here was the jaw dropping moment of the day. I've only shot 7.62 out of a M1A so I was expecting a strong punch to the shoulder, but...I was stunned at how manageable it is. Makes the AK feel like a 12 gauge shotgun in comparison. I'd put the felt recoil somewhere between a 5.56 and an AK, frankly, it is not that much more than a M1 Carbine! Trigger broke rather cleanly. It's a military trigger, of course, so it is fairly heavy. Not as heavy as the stock trigger that came with my M4 Carbine, about the same as a M1A.

Sound
I was glad I had double plugged, with 33dB foam plugs and electronic muffs, but it was not really all that bad, as far as I was concerned. But then as my son shot it and a couple other guys at the club who wandered over I was amazed at how loud it is when you are standing near it. Sounds like a cannon! Everyone was shocked and it was funny seeing how people wandered over to see what the heck it was making all that noise, particularly when I put rounds through it quickly. Big smiles all around. All in all, a great first experience. My gun club was having "sight in days" where the general public are able to bring hunting rifles out to zero them, so I could not get to the rifle ranges to work on the sights. Looking forward to that.

Here is a video of our first range session with the SCAR 17S

Last edited by JonM; 10-29-2012 at 04:14 AM. Reason: fixed broken link

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-29-2012, 04:17 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5672 Times on 2962 Posts
Likes Given: 375

how sturdy is that little folding buttstock release tab?? will it hold up to having to buttstroke some fools that get lippy??

does it take magpul 20 rounders??

recoil looked more like a ak47 in muzzle jump.

the muzzle brake is what is making it super loud, do you know what type they put on it or is it their own design??

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 10-29-2012 at 04:23 AM.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:17 AM   #3

I'd be happy to test it on you, if you are volunteering!

; )

Old 10-29-2012, 04:28 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsdorf View Post
I'd be happy to test it on you, if you are volunteering!

; )

oh no, i know some morons that could use a good whap to the noggin. being able to lay on a good bit of plastic justice as needed is always a concern heh

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-29-2012, 04:32 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

if you ever find yourself in wisconsin i would be happy to let you test drive some of the wife's and mine arsenal.

you do better reviews than i do heh

Old 10-30-2012, 01:05 AM   #6

Thanks, brother, may take you up on that offer some day.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:31 AM   #7

Liked 268 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 1032

Holy cow man that thing is expensive.

The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory. - Col. Jeff Cooper.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:38 AM   #8
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 574

Nice looking SCAR