Savage Walking Varmit Rifle. 223 - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Savage Walking Varmit Rifle. 223

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2012, 12:50 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesuvius View Post
Yeah i went with bolt action on both my rifles so far because of accuracy. Also it seemed logical to slow down and not blow through near as much ammo with a bolt action vs a semi. I dont know if tackling reloading at this time would be wise on my part considering how green i am.
It is not difficult to learn the basics of reloading. Once you do you'll find it makes shooting far more enjoyable. Not just because you can shoot more cheaper, but you will come into a better understanding of your rifle and ballistics. Pick up a good reloading manual. Many, like the new 8th Edition Hornady Manual have a first section devoted to the basics to help you get started.

Once you get a feel for what it encompasses, you can purchase complete reloading "starter kits" that have most everything to require, including press and dies for a reasonable price. All you have to do is set it all up. You will soon realize how much more accurate most any rifle is with properly manufactured handloaded ammunition, than it is with off the shelf factory loads.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:21 PM   #12
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21723 Times on 12313 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Yeah i went with bolt action on both my rifles so far because of accuracy. Also it seemed logical to slow down and not blow through near as much ammo with a bolt action vs a semi. I dont know if tackling reloading at this time would be wise on my part considering how green i am
Quote:
Originally Posted by billt View Post
It is not difficult to learn the basics of reloading. Once you do you'll find it makes shooting far more enjoyable. Not just because you can shoot more cheaper, but you will come into a better understanding of your rifle and ballistics. Pick up a good reloading manual. Many, like the new 8th Edition Hornady Manual have a first section devoted to the basics to help you get started.

Once you get a feel for what it encompasses, you can purchase complete reloading "starter kits" that have most everything to require, including press and dies for a reasonable price. All you have to do is set it all up. You will soon realize how much more accurate most any rifle is with properly manufactured handloaded ammunition, than it is with off the shelf factory loads.
BillT has made some valid points and i agree with him, but would also suggest the book. The ABC's of Reloading. excellent book for beginners or veteran reloaders. usually can be found at Amazon.com for less than $15. i have it, and refer to it occasionally. bought the book before i ever even began reloading and have read it many times.

Old 07-12-2012, 02:31 AM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I guess i never really thought about it that way. It does make sense though. i actually just called barnes n noble and they have the abc's in stock so i think i might pick it up tomorrow or friday, finding the time to read it will be the challenge. you guys have been really helpful and i appreciate it. I welcome any other advice you guys have. Thanks. Should be picking up my. 223 on friday...good times.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:09 AM   #14
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21723 Times on 12313 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
I guess i never really thought about it that way. It does make sense though. i actually just called barnes n noble and they have the abc's in stock so i think i might pick it up tomorrow or friday, finding the time to read it will be the challenge. you guys have been really helpful and i appreciate it. I welcome any other advice you guys have. Thanks. Should be picking up my. 223 on friday...good times.
if you have any questions, just post them. many of the members here would be glad to help you out and answer your questions.