Savage stock swap ?? 12vlp -10fcp precis.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Savage stock swap ?? 12vlp -10fcp precis.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2012, 06:27 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Savage stock swap ?? 12vlp -10fcp precis.

Anyone know if the black plastic stock off a 10FCP Precision will fit right onto a 12 VLP DBM ?? If so, can you reccomend a good aftermarket stock thats of similar.
Also, can anyone comment on which rifle is more accurate. Both are in 308.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-22-2012, 01:59 AM   #2
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1200 Times on 690 Posts
Likes Given: 579

Yes,The HS Precision stock will bolt right on.
Choate also makes a stock similar to the HS Precision,I have 2 of them and really enjoy them.
I also have the Savage factory laminate stock that comes on the 12 BVSS,it's just a laminate version of the tactical style composite stock.Look at my avitar.
This is the Choate tactical stock on my 110FLP 25/06-

The 10FCP Choate Tactical is available at Cabelas.It is an exclusive rifle,that Savage builds for Cabelas.When I bought mine it was on sale for $649.
As far as accuracy,my 10FCP 308 has always been more accurate than my 12FLV 308.I changed the caliber of the 12FLV to 7mm-08 and sold the 308 barrel.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:43 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

OK, I didn't think the FLV came in 308. Was your barrel factory new. I'm not doubting you at all. I'm just not understanding how the 24" barrel is more accurate than the 26". You say you have the stock off a BVSS, do you have the 12BVSS rifle also? I'm thinking the barrel on the bvss is the exact same as my vlp. Someone else told me there 10 outshot there 12. I just don't understand it. What or where is the difference. How much more accurate is your 10 over 12. wHAT MOA please? I'm kicking myself for getting this 12vlp.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:41 AM   #4
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzychapstick View Post
OK, I didn't think the FLV came in 308. Was your barrel factory new. I'm not doubting you at all. I'm just not understanding how the 24" barrel is more accurate than the 26". You say you have the stock off a BVSS, do you have the 12BVSS rifle also? I'm thinking the barrel on the bvss is the exact same as my vlp. Someone else told me there 10 outshot there 12. I just don't understand it. What or where is the difference. How much more accurate is your 10 over 12. wHAT MOA please? I'm kicking myself for getting this 12vlp.
The 12FLV was used,but I doubt it had a box of ammo shot out of it.With the entry level stock that comes on it,the rifle kicked like a mule.That's the reason I changed the stock,and I found a factory LH BVSS stock at Numrich gun parts.Savage discontinued the LH version of the BVSS several years ago.

There's nothing wrong with the model 12's,but most of the 24" heavy barreled model 10's just shoot better.I handload for all of my guns,and my 10FCP shoots really good.I have several loads that have shot under .250" 5 shot groups at 100 yards on a regular basis.Most groups range from .400-.800" with that rifle,when I do my part.
Shooting the same bullet's with loads worked up for the 12FLV,I rarely had any shoot under .400",and most would group .750-1.0" or larger.That's still a good shooting rifle.
I'm sure I could find a load for the 12FLV that would shoot as good as the 10FCP,but just didn't want to waste the time/money on it when I had a rifle that I already had loads worked up in .308 caliber.

Don't give up on your 12VLP,it will shoot great when you find out what it likes to shoot.
1.Are you just shooting factory ammo out of yours,or do you handload?
2.What bullet weights are you trying to shoot?
Most rifles will never shoot their best with factory ammo,you need to fine tune the ammo to each rifle.
3.Also check the action screws and make sure they're torqued correctly,make sure the barrel is free floated all the way to the barrel nut,make sure the tang at the rear of the action is free floated and not touching the stock.
If any of the above aren't right,it will affect the guns accuracy,and repeatability when shot.

I have an older 12FLVSS 223,and it's the best shooting rifle that I've ever owned.You have to screw up not to shoot under .500" with this gun,and my best 5 shot group at 100 yards with it is .168",and that was with a 60gr Hornady Vmax varmint bullet,not a match bullet.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:38 PM   #5

Liked 248 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Your stock should have a pair of bedding blocks? It is some what tuneable buy changeing torgue settings of the bolts in the reciver. if accuracy is a problem. H-S stocks build the stock on the model 10fcp persion. Mcmillian can also fill your needs. But for a quality stock you will not save much weight. I have used a Boyd's Stcock for 15 years and they make all of savage's stocks. Been very stable

There should be no practical difference in accuracy between these two rifles. Its more about ammo or load used. You also can't expect two factory rifles just alike to be as accurate with the same load. Some times a different bullet or powder amount will make a difference in accuracy. Even changeing the torgue on the reciver can change groups. Is this a bench rest rifle, hunting?? What ammo or handloads do use now and how accurate is it at what yardage.

Old 10-24-2012, 05:49 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well i just got the gun. I had a hard time deciding which of the two to buy. Savage told me receivers the same, and same barrel, just ones cut a little shorter. Whether thats true or not, I don't know. Anyway bought the longer of the two ( 26"). I haven't bought a scope for it yet, so I haven't been able to shoot it yet. I no nothing about reloading ammo, but I bought a bunch of Match King 168 bthp. So, I'm just upset w/ myself for getting the 12, if the 10 is more accurate. As far as the swap stock, I really like the grip on the precision stock. Some other guy on another message board, says the same thing Txhillbilly says, and got better results w/ his 10 than 12.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:13 PM   #7

Liked 248 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 22

My , my . You could have bought the model 10 and now feel the same way. With out even shooting your rifle and not know how skilled you are its all spectulation. If you feel the our rifle is the cats rearend then trade your rifle off or sell it. Reality, neither one may be worth a dammed or both may shoot 1/4" groups. The barrels if both if carbon steel or SS will be from the same bar stock and made to the same level of quality on the same type tools. Break the rifle in well . Read kriegers break-in instructions and if nothing else it will clean very easy to clean and tend not to copper up. How well one shoots mean more about the shooter and the ammo when both are the same company rifles. Except with todays remingtons. ha

Ya just got to stop worry'n at this point. Go to accurateshooters site to read up and learn and stop asking if this savage is better than that savage. No one really knows till the rifle has some range time. Feed a rifle thats capible of 1/4" groups the ammo it does not like and its suddenly a 1"+ rifle. If you wanted just a hunting rifle neither one maybe right. Maybe a 6lb thin barrel hunting rifle that can place one shot where you want it would have been better.

If your dollar wise look at Sightron for scopes too. There S-11 big sky class has some great BR scopes of the money . If you will also hunt with it use tally QD rings and swap scopes to some thing more hunter wise.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:46 PM   #8
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzychapstick View Post
Well i just got the gun. I had a hard time deciding which of the two to buy. Savage told me receivers the same, and same barrel, just ones cut a little shorter. Whether thats true or not, I don't know. Anyway bought the longer of the two ( 26"). I haven't bought a scope for it yet, so I haven't been able to shoot it yet. I no nothing about reloading ammo, but I bought a bunch of Match King 168 bthp. So, I'm just upset w/ myself for getting the 12, if the 10 is more accurate. As far as the swap stock, I really like the grip on the precision stock. Some other guy on another message board, says the same thing Txhillbilly says, and got better results w/ his 10 than 12.
If you haven't even fired the rifle,your getting worked up over nothing.Almost any rifle produced by the major gun makers today will shoot moa or better with premium factory ammo.
As far as optics go,I love the Sightron SIII scopes.I have 4 of them on my Long range rifles.There are more pricey optics out there,and some have a few more features,but the glass,clarity,price,warranty and adjustment range of the Sightron SIII scopes are hard to beat.

Suzy,I'd quit worry'in about whether a Model 10 will shoot better than a Model 12.Mine does,but not enough to worry about.And I really never tried many different bullets/powders with the Model 12.I bought that gun for the action,and couldn't pass up on the price for the gun.