Savage rifles - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Savage rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2012, 03:35 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1131 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

I have a cheap savage axis in .223 , My wife bought it for me for Christmas last yr , I was more than impressed with the accuracy of it , the trigger however not being a accu-trigger was terrible , it took some work but its a nice smooth 3.18# pull now and it shoots .5 MOA ,3 shot groups you can cover with a dime @ 100 yards. Impressive for such a cheap rifle

Old 05-31-2012, 07:47 PM   #12

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc
I have a cheap savage axis in .223 , My wife bought it for me for Christmas last yr , I was more than impressed with the accuracy of it , the trigger however not being a accu-trigger was terrible , it took some work but its a nice smooth 3.18# pull now and it shoots .5 MOA ,3 shot groups you can cover with a dime @ 100 yards. Impressive for such a cheap rifle
How much was it? I've been wanting a good 223 to pack in the truck when I'm do farm work around the house.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:01 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5745 Times on 3001 Posts
Likes Given: 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeusecho View Post
Obvious troll post.
Yes, if the op doesnt come back by tomorrow to participate its getting locked

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-31-2012, 10:16 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Yes, if the op doesnt come back by tomorrow to participate its getting locked
Agreed... I hate folks that do that..

NRA Life Member, Georgia Gun Owners
www.RCGunworksllc.com

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Politicians ignore the others"

Old 06-01-2012, 01:32 AM   #15

Liked 1131 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Nasty View Post
How much was it? I've been wanting a good 223 to pack in the truck when I'm do farm work around the house.
She said she paid $299 for it and that was with the scope and scope mounts. The scope really was a POS and I replaced it with a much better Bushnell .
If I had to do it again I would buy it without the scope for around $259 and use that extra money towards a nicer scope . it also comes in a variety of calibers .

Old 06-01-2012, 02:28 AM   #16
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21592 Times on 12249 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
She said she paid $299 for it and that was with the scope and scope mounts. The scope really was a POS and I replaced it with a much better Bushnell .
If I had to do it again I would buy it without the scope for around $259 and use that extra money towards a nicer scope . it also comes in a variety of calibers .
lot of times they put a rifle and scope combo together to get someone out shooting or hunting. makes good marketing sense. lots of times the scopes are bought in bulk from different makers and are usually good enough for basic hunting distances. i too prefer to buy without a scope and choose one that suits my needs and of better quality. at $40, you wouldn't expect a Zeiss!

Old 06-01-2012, 02:38 AM   #17
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1200 Times on 690 Posts
Likes Given: 579

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael345 View Post
Am I the only person on this forum who isnt a real big savage fan? Translation: Am I the only sane person on this forum. I'm only kidding they are good shooters but that's about where it ends and considering that almost everyone here is a .308 shooting range ninja it makes sense you all like savage rifles. Aaah it feels good to get that out. Btw I don't mean to hurt feelings here I would just like to hear about why nearly everyone but me loves savages.
Well I really never gave Savage much thought growing up.My first deer rifle was given to me by my grandfather-a 1903A3 sporter(30/06) built by Paul Jaeger in the 1960's.
I used that rifle for many years in the 70's-80's,and then started buying some Winchester 70's.The Winchester 70 is probably one of the finest factory made guns that was ever built.
Being that I have always shot Left-Handed,I always bought RH rifles and dealt with the bolt being on the wrong side.I've owned a gun from every American mfg at one time or another.I've liked some,and hated others.
No mfg builds the perfect rifle.You always find something that needs to be tweaked or changed.

The first Savage that I purchased was a Pre-Accutriggered 110FLP heavy barreled 300WM for long range shooting.It was used,but I bet it didn't have 2 boxes of ammo thru it.With the factory stock on it,that thing kicked like a pissed off mule in any position you shot it in.
Now,I'll be the first to admit-Savage factory synthetic stocks SUCK!.So one of the first changes was an aftermarket stock.It had a decent factory adjustable trigger,it just needed to be smoothed up a little.
It amazed me that a bare bones Savage 110 FLP with just a new stock and smoothed trigger would shoot 1/2 moa groups almost every time I took it out.
My next Savage was a used 12FLVSS 223,it shot around moa completely stock.I reworked the trigger,replaced the stock with a Laminate thumbhole stock and put some decent optics/mounts on it,and it now will shoot under 1/4 moa groups if I do my part.
I have since purchased 4 more Savage's,3 brand new-93GL 22WMR,10FCP 308,110FLCP 25/06,and a used 12FLV 308.

Why do I like Savage? They shoot very,very good and I don't need a gunsmith to work on them.In just a few minutes,I can change barrels/calibers without the need of a gunsmith for anything.

If I wanted a pretty rifle,I'd buy a Blaser 93.I want one that shoots where I aim it,and Savage does that very well!

Old 06-01-2012, 03:32 AM   #18

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc
That's a good price.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:39 AM   #19

Liked 648 Times on 425 Posts
Likes Given: 1313

I like Savage Arms and wouldn't hesitate to buy another.
I own two Savage rifles,one older 06' bolt action very nice accurate rifle and would love to own a Savage model99.
That being said,my very first rifle I purchased in the early 70s was a semi auto Westpoint 22 rifle built by Savage Arms sold by True Value Hardware store,I have to say that is the worst rifle I ever purchased.It turned out to be a jam-o-matic and not very accurate at all? I still own the 22 rifle because it is such a POS I wouldn't wish it on any shooter lol

I grew up with Remington which out number all my other rifles and shotguns,I guess it's just what you get use to?

Old 06-02-2012, 12:16 PM   #20

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've had a stainless steel Savage 116 in 7mm Rem. Mag. for years that is without a doubt the MOST accurate rifle I have and I have a bunch. It came with a inexpensive factory scope setup, but it works great. It was around $350 as I recall.

My feeling is that the OP is just all butthurt because he spent 3 or 4 times the money for a Remington. It's the same type of snobbery we get in the AR Forum from the Colt, BCM & Daniel Defense guys who look down their noses disgusted by all other "lesser" brands.

Here's a picture of my Savage rifle for the OP to enjoy:

7mm_savage08.jpg  

Last edited by Snakedriver; 06-02-2012 at 12:30 PM.