Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Savage rifles (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/savage-rifles-65494/)

michael345 05-31-2012 04:46 AM

Savage rifles

Am I the only person on this forum who isnt a real big savage fan? Translation: Am I the only sane person on this forum. I'm only kidding they are good shooters but that's about where it ends and considering that almost everyone here is a .308 shooting range ninja it makes sense you all like savage rifles. Aaah it feels good to get that out. Btw I don't mean to hurt feelings here I would just like to hear about why nearly everyone but me loves savages.

Axxe55 05-31-2012 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michael345 (Post 819946)
Am I the only person on this forum who isnt a real big savage fan? Translation: Am I the only sane person on this forum. I'm only kidding they are good shooters but that's about where it ends and considering that almost everyone here is a .308 shooting range ninja it makes sense you all like savage rifles. Aaah it feels good to get that out. Btw I don't mean to hurt feelings here I would just like to hear about why nearly everyone but me loves savages.

okay so the jist of your post is you don't like Savage rifles. okay, that's your right. Savage makes very good rifles and pretty decent accuracy can be obtained from mot of them. i too have a Savage in 17HMR and out to about 150 yards, pretty accurate. my 308 is a Marlin XS7VH and it's pretty dang accurate. people like the Savage riles because they are a good rifle at a good price. i personally like many different brands of bolt actions and not really comfortable shooting the Savage centerfires as they don't fit me as well as other brands. but i will give them their due, they are very accurate and well built.

hiwall 05-31-2012 05:28 AM

There are many popular guns that I don't really care for. I pretty much keep that information to myself. To me there is only two different bolt-action rifles, accurate ones and the not-so-much ones. To me they all look pretty similar. So if I find one that shoots good that is all I ask for. It happens that often Savage rifles do shoot good.

Intheshop 05-31-2012 11:58 AM

They are pretty "OK" in my book.Do understand how folks find their bolt actions looks.......well,challenging.

Ours have been used,and by some....just short of "abused" in the hunting fields.As a guide's gun,they've proven their worth.So am a bit ambivalent twds how a rifle "looks".Like the safety location and their bolts feel,and design(floating head).

I understand the difference between controlled...semi-controlled....and push feed actions.The Savages are about avg on feeding.Their cheap plastic stocks are about on par with other manuf.(read that,like rubber).

Haven't broke one yet....and they easily meet accuracy requirements.So will prolly keep the "few" that are around here,haha.

TheOldMan 05-31-2012 12:12 PM

Longrange 05-31-2012 01:42 PM

I have a .22 savage bolt action. I love it, accurate at 100 yards is an understatement. Affordable, good shooting rifle out of the box, good trigger.... What else does a shooter need?

JonM 05-31-2012 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michael345 (Post 819946)

What dont you like about them??

its fine to say something sucks but its irrelevant unless the person says why.

Ive got a savage model 10 fcp-sr in 308 and its a half moa all day. They are easy to work on. From rebarelling to changing triggers stocks etc.

My complaints is less than steller customer service in my actual experience with a out of spec firing pin assembly. Sometimes the trigger trips on loading but i had the tension set too light. Wasnt the guns fault.

Recommend: yes, just dont expect a good looking gun. They are hardware tools not works of art

Georgiahunter 05-31-2012 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michael345

Even if you didn't mean to offend anyone calling the majority of people who own Savage rifle less than sane and shooting range ninjas is less than nice. That aside, I don't know what you don't like about them. Mine shoots great and I took a deer last year with mine in .308. I like it because of the out of the box and very consistent accuracy. Have you had a bad experience with one? Maybe they aren't extremely pretty, but they do get the job done.

hardluk1 05-31-2012 03:28 PM

Kidding or not ,savage builds a solid all around rifle today. What is your fav-O-rite label of rifle?? Or do you have one. I Don't. I do own a great old 788 remmy that I would not trade for a new 700, A also have a custom ruger 77mkII thats a 1/4moa rifle and a couple savage .22lr rifles that with good match grade ammo will shoot sub-moa. Those 2 are not annys but good .22's. I don't own a new savage centerfire but if was looking to buy a rifle today, an accurate rifle it would be a model 12 LRP . That for me would make a fine hunting rifle and have the accuracy I look for.

ZeusEcho 05-31-2012 04:09 PM

Obvious troll post.