Savage question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Savage question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 07:49 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 206 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 434

Default Savage question

I'm looking for a varmint rifle mainly for coyote hunting and some target shooting, I am left handed so I am limited as far as available models. I have been looking through the Savage website, the only one I see which really would fit what I'm looking for is the 11/111 Trophy Hunter XP as I don't want a heavy barrel. This rifle has a detachable box mag which I suppose is nice though not something I have to have, also it has the Savage accutrigger, however it just has the plain synthetic stock rather than the accustock. This is what I am not familiar with, what are the advantages of the accustock as opposed to the plain stock, is it going to make a big difference in accuracy? The only one I see in a slim barrel lefty with the accustock is the 16 stainless, I really don't want stainless. Anyone have experience with these rifles?

Vote Scott Walker for Governor June 5th 2012

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-19-2013, 03:06 PM   #2
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1241 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 590

The Accu-stock is a good upgrade from the standard synthetic stock,and worth the extra $$.
The detachable magazine will limit you if you ever want an aftermarket stock,but it is easily taken apart and converted to a blind magazine set up.You just remove the bottom cover plate,and order the retaining clip from Savage.
I prefer to shoot a heavy barreled rifle,and all 6 of my Savage centerfire rifles are heavy barreled. Unless your going to go climbing in the mountains,the extra weight isn't an issue.
The great thing about Savage is if you want to change it to another caliber or barrel style,you can do it at home with a couple simple tools. I can change barrels in about 15-20 minutes on any of mine,and just built a 6.5 Creedmoor from parts in about 45 minutes.

I shoot LH,and have both LH and RH rifles,it really doesn't matter to me.

Old 01-19-2013, 04:59 PM   #3

Liked 206 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 434

I have had heavy barrel rifles before and right hand bolts, I find them impractical, I am not going to benchrest shoot much, I want a hunting gun. To me the heavy barrel was enough heavier that it wasn't something I cared to go walking through the woods with. I want the left hand bolt so I can have somewhat of a faster follow up shot if need be. I won't be putting on aftermarket stocks or anything, like I said I want a hunting gun and a slim barrel gun is what it is, I don't expect it to shoot 5 shot groups under a quarter inch but I do prefer it to be an inch or under with stock equipment and the right loads. I would get the accustock if it were available on a model that fit my needs but according to their website it isn't.
Are all the different models 10, 11, 14, 16, esssentially the same with different materials and trims? Which are considered most accurate? Or is it a toss up?

Vote Scott Walker for Governor June 5th 2012

Old 01-20-2013, 12:08 AM   #4
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1241 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 590

Yes they are are basically the same rifles,just with different specs. Any of them will be fine rifles,but the basic synthetic stocks are flimsy on the fore-ends.
They can be stiffened up with epoxy in the voids.