Savage model 93 rear sights
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Savage model 93 rear sights

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2012, 02:32 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Savage model 93 rear sights

Hi Friends, I have a Savage Model 93 22wmr that I want to put a scope on, but the rear sight deprives me of putting the lens cover on. Anyone know how to take the rear sight off? Thanks, Bernie

It's not the amount of breaths we take in life, but the moments that take our breaths that count.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-30-2012, 05:55 PM   #2

Liked 743 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 232

I could not find a pic of one with sights. But if the sight is not screwed on then it is dovetailed to the barrel. With a hammer and punch, tap the sight out from left to right. A padded vise makes the job easier. A brass punch lessens the chance of scratching anything.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:32 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
I could not find a pic of one with sights. But if the sight is not screwed on then it is dovetailed to the barrel. With a hammer and punch, tap the sight out from left to right. A padded vise makes the job easier. A brass punch lessens the chance of scratching anything.
Thanks Hiwall, mine is dovetailed, I'll try your recommendation. Thanks again, Bernie

It's not the amount of breaths we take in life, but the moments that take our breaths that count.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:37 PM   #4

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernielink

Thanks Hiwall, mine is dovetailed, I'll try your recommendation. Thanks again, Bernie
Also make sure to spray a LITTLE bit of some type of penetrating oil on it and let it set for a few minutes first. Preferably NOT wd40. 3n1 oil works well wo damaging your bluing.

Old 07-01-2012, 03:38 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
Also make sure to spray a LITTLE bit of some type of penetrating oil on it and let it set for a few minutes first. Preferably NOT wd40. 3n1 oil works well wo damaging your bluing.
Glad you told me "not wd40" cause that would have been the first thing I would have used. I have some oil for my electric clippers, would that be OK or do I need to buy some 3n1? Thanks for the advise, Bernie

Old 07-01-2012, 04:12 PM   #6

Any oil. Pull the dipstick out of your car and rub that on the sight base.

Old 07-01-2012, 04:16 PM   #7

I must say after removing/installing hundreds of dovetailed sights, I have never heard of putting oil on them first. Certainly not a bad idea but not really necessary.

Old 07-01-2012, 05:01 PM   #8

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall
I must say after removing/installing hundreds of dovetailed sights, I have never heard of putting oil on them first. Certainly not a bad idea but not really necessary.
I do it because it makes it just a little bit easier and gives you a better chance of not screwing up your barrels/sights finish.