Savage model 93 22WMR miss fire
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Savage model 93 22WMR miss fire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2014, 11:31 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 95 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 138

Default Savage model 93 22WMR miss fire

I bought the rifle used, put a Nikon 4X scope on it and proceeded to sight it in.
It fired the first 3 shots, then the gun started to miss fire every other round. There is a mark from the firing pin, and I can put the round in again and get it to go off.
I pulled the bolt out and soaked it in G96 gun oil. Then it seemed to improve, but would still hiccup now and again, and it seemed to get worse after a few shots, as if heat somehow made it worse.

I switched ammo and started shooting Hornady, was shooting cheap Winchester white box, and I had 9 shots in a row with out a problem, thought it was definitely the ammo, but then on the 10th shot it miss fired.

I'm going to take it out again this morning, and I pray that the oil helped make it better after sitting for a month, but I feel that I may have to take it to a gun smith.

Any thoughts? ideas?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-18-2014, 12:19 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2921 Times on 1720 Posts

First thought (lpre-coffee) is firing pin. I would call the manufacturers, if I remember correctly they require the gun to be sent in. They don't sell their Parts to gunsmiths.

better judged by twelve than carried by six.

Old 01-18-2014, 12:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
First thought (lpre-coffee) is firing pin. I would call the manufacturers, if I remember correctly they require the gun to be sent in. They don't sell their Parts to gunsmiths.

better judged by twelve than carried by six.
Do you think a stronger spring, and sharpening the firing pin is possible? or even worth consideration

Old 01-18-2014, 12:56 PM   #4

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quite often just the tip of a firing pin breaks. Unless you look at firing pins every day you cannot see that the firing pin is broke without a new firing pin to compare it too. Send the bolt to savage to have a new firing pin installed.
People Like This 
Old 01-18-2014, 01:21 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10779 Times on 4664 Posts
Likes Given: 1760

Do NOT "Sharpen the firing pin". They are only so long- grinding it will make it shorter.

Possibility that you have dried oil/ gunk in the firing pin channel. Try taking the bolt and soaking it for a day or two in a solvent (mineral spirits). Then (wearing safety glasses) blow it out with a product such as Gunscrubber, shake out surplus, wipe dry, lube LIGHTLY.

I collect older 22s from the 40s and 50s- Marlins, Remingtons and Mossbergs. I usually pull the bolts all the way down- and the FP channel is usually the dirtiest spot on the rifle.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Do NOT "Sharpen the firing pin". They are only so long- grinding it will make it shorter.

Possibility that you have dried oil/ gunk in the firing pin channel. Try taking the bolt and soaking it for a day or two in a solvent (mineral spirits). Then (wearing safety glasses) blow it out with a product such as Gunscrubber, shake out surplus, wipe dry, lube LIGHTLY.

I collect older 22s from the 40s and 50s- Marlins, Remingtons and Mossbergs. I usually pull the bolts all the way down- and the FP channel is usually the dirtiest spot on the rifle.
Thanks for the info!