Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Savage Model 14 .308 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/savage-model-14-308-a-85276/)

GeneralPatton 02-27-2013 01:48 AM

Savage Model 14 .308

One of the guys I'm selling all the firearms for has a Savage Model 14 chambered in .308 that is roughly 3 or 4 years old. It's had approximately 7 rounds fired through it. He has a Nikon Nikoplex 3-9x40 scope on it. He asked me what it is worth today, and I can't really find any information on it. What do you guys think it's worth? I'm thinking I remember it having a blue finish. I know it has the accu-trigger and it is bolt action. It has a nice wood stock. Other than that, I'd have to go look at it over at his house for any more in depth details. Ballpark estimate is all I'm looking for.

GP

Txhillbilly 02-28-2013 03:06 AM

A Gun Blue Book Value book or Gunbroker.com would be a good place to start looking for value of used guns. It also depends on the area that your in,it all comes down to what someone is willing to give you for them.
Scopes don't add much value to firearms unless they are really nice scopes like Swarovski,Zeiss,Nightforce,etc.,most common hunting scopes will only kick up the value $50-100. Most people want to put their own optics on a weapon.

GeneralPatton 02-28-2013 04:59 PM

I checked gunbroker already, there were no model 14 .308's listed

Txhillbilly 02-28-2013 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeneralPatton (Post 1157930)
I checked gunbroker already, there were no model 14 .308's listed

The caliber really doesn't matter too much,just look at what other Model 14's are selling for.

GeneralPatton 02-28-2013 11:18 PM

Actually someone listed one yesterday after I had posted. And the difference in price between calibers is as much as $100, so caliber is more important than not. Many folks still sell the Model 14 in .300 and .270 but the .308 isn't in stock anywhere.

Apex-Predator 03-02-2013 12:58 AM

Model 14 in 308 caught some major attention when outdore life did an accuracy comparison a few years back, it shot with the very best of them, have not seen one on the rack ever since, seen a few 270s and 300 mags but no 308s. I know because I was looking for that very gun too, last time I saw 14s on the rack was on sale for $560 and if I had the money I would have snatched two of them up at that price. I did eventually get my 308 just not the 14 a Winchester 70 FTW that I am very happy with.

Txhillbilly 03-02-2013 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeneralPatton (Post 1158313)
Actually someone listed one yesterday after I had posted. And the difference in price between calibers is as much as $100, so caliber is more important than not. Many folks still sell the Model 14 in .300 and .270 but the .308 isn't in stock anywhere.

The Model 14 is a Short action for calibers such as 223,243,and 308.
The Model 114 is a Long action for calibers such as 25/06,270,and 300 Win mags.
Savage also offer's two different grades of walnut stocks on the Model 14,and that is more than likely the $100 difference that you are seeing.

When trying to look up the value of a weapon,you should know exactly which one you are trying to find. Savage makes several variations of almost all of their rifles,and each is a different price,depending on what the spec's are.

Asking for a specific price value on a gun is like asking what a 2010 Ford F150 is worth. What model is it? They make several,and then have all kinds of options!

GeneralPatton 03-03-2013 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Txhillbilly (Post 1159784)
The Model 14 is a Short action for calibers such as 223,243,and 308.
The Model 114 is a Long action for calibers such as 25/06,270,and 300 Win mags.
Savage also offer's two different grades of walnut stocks on the Model 14,and that is more than likely the $100 difference that you are seeing.

When trying to look up the value of a weapon,you should know exactly which one you are trying to find. Savage makes several variations of almost all of their rifles,and each is a different price,depending on what the spec's are.

Asking for a specific price value on a gun is like asking what a 2010 Ford F150 is worth. What model is it? They make several,and then have all kinds of options!

I couldn't agree more that without specifics some valuations are all but impossible. However, I did say ballpark. And while I realize that the type of stock can vary the price significantly, the best of my recollection is that caliber means everything in some rifles. I'm just trying to figure out what my oldest daughters godfathers Savage 14 is worth, roughly. He has no real concern when it comes to money, he has more than he needs to say the least. I know he bought it a few years back and asked me if I could give him a reasonable estimate of what it was worth now. That's the reason the details I have are scant, I don't have it in hand and his description is definitely lacking. I appreciate the help though. ;)