Savage Model 11 .308, stock and heavy barrel??
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Savage Model 11 .308, stock and heavy barrel??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2013, 03:05 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Savage Model 11 .308, stock and heavy barrel??

I just picked up a Model 11 chambered in .308 and would like to ditch the factory stock and sporter barrel. Problem is that I have no experience with modifying firearms, always just used them how they are but would really like to get into longer range shooting.

I looking for a tactical style stock, adjustable buttpad and cheek rest preferred, and hoping for a rail on the front. I will have a shop install the barrel so I just need to find one. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

And by the way, my rifle is bottom bolt release (on the trigger guard), and it is mag fed, with the mag release on the mag.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-03-2013, 02:00 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3585 Times on 1726 Posts
Likes Given: 1783

branw

I know this is probably not what you want to hear. But the bottom line, I would keep your rifle as it is for hunting or trade or sell it for a rifle meeting your requirements. By the time you buy a good quality stock and a good quality barrel and pay to have it worked on by a gunsmith you are going to have an exuberant amount of money in the gun and could not possibly sell or trade it since you would take a beating!
If it is of sentimental value to you, I might understand but if not personaly I think it would be a bad decision to invest that much money in it.
Solution: As I said trade it or sell it and get something like you want.
Savage also makes a 110 Tactical Rifle that for the money is a great Rifle. Many SWAT Units throughout the country use them. We have had them in the Sniper Scools and they are good quality and very accurate and reasonably priced. Also there is the Remington 700-P and LTR. Both the above have good stocks, bull (Heavy) barrels good triggers and very, very accurate. Many of them are also brought to the schools by students and used by SWAT Units throughout the USA. and other countries. And at least if sold or traded would hold their value as well as can be expected. This due to someone always likes or is looking to own one. Only my opinion hope it helps you consider the options!

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 11-03-2013, 03:05 PM   #3

Liked 1310 Times on 743 Posts
Likes Given: 633

You know once you do this,the Barrel Nut disease will take hold of you and you won't be able to control yourself.

Savage rifles are adult lego's! You can build a complete rifle from parts in a few minutes out in you garage with just a couple simple tools.
If you buy a barrel nut wrench,and an action wrench,along with Go/No Go gauges fro what ever calibers you want to swap barrels for,that's all you need.

You can go from mild to wild on these,it all depends on your budget.
Barrels are easy to get from several places for a Savage. E.R.Shaw,Shillen,McGowen,PacNor,Criterion,Sinman,B rux,and several other's all make pre-fit barrels for Savage rifles.
Your rifle will be a standard (small) shank,and prices for aftermarket barrels range from around $200 - $350+,depending on what you actually want. I bought 2 E.R.Shaw barrels on a group buy last year for $179 each,and they shoot as good as any Shillen or McGowen barrel I've ever owned.

Stocks also range widely in price,from around $225 for a Choate Tactical,to $650+ for a Manners or McMillan. There are also some Tactical stocks available in Laminate's from Boyds,Bobby Hart,Sharp Shooter Supply.
With your rifle having the bolt release on the trigger guard,you will probably have to modify the stock a little for the bolt release,but it's pretty simple to do with a dremel tool.

I have 3 of the Choate Tactical stocks. They are a very good stock,while not the prettiest to look at,and they do weigh a bit more than some of the others. But they come with a front bipod rail,adjustable spacers for the LOP,and a short or tall cheek rest on their basic stock. They offer another Custom Package that's fully adjustable,but for the price,I'd pay a couple hundred more for a carbon fiber Manners stock.

Here's a link showing you how to change a barrel-
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/swapping-barrels-savage-70590/

For barrels check out- The Gun Shack , Northland Shooter Supply , Sharp Shooter Supply , Shillen , McGowen , PacNor. *Note* If you have to order a barrel not in stock,you'll be in for a long wait time.

For Stocks check out- MidwayUSA , Tactical Works Inc , Stockys Stocks , Boyds , Manners , McMillan , Stockade Custom Guns , Sharp Shooter Supply , Choate Tool & Machine.

Here's the 6.5 Creedmoor I built from parts-
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/built-my-6-5-creedmoor-today-81560/

If you need any help,or have questions,just ask me!
North American Hunting Club

Old 11-03-2013, 07:34 PM   #4

Liked 331 Times on 263 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Do you want a repeater for long range shooting?? Single shot actions would be preferred. Sell your rifle and boy a savage target action and build what you want.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:43 PM   #5

Liked 1310 Times on 743 Posts
Likes Given: 633

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
Do you want a repeater for long range shooting?? Single shot actions would be preferred. Sell your rifle and boy a savage target action and build what you want.
If your planning on shooting in a Benchrest competition,then a single shot action will be a plus,but that's about it.
I think the OP just wants to try some target shooting at longer ranges,not competing in shooting matches.
North American Hunting Club

Old 11-04-2013, 03:49 PM   #6

I've looked into all above mentioned companies. Just disnt know if they were credible aside from Choate. I've talked to them a couple times and in order to make one of their stocks work I have to change mag style and they said I need a different bottom plate? Well my rifle doesnt have a bottom plate so I am lost. I understand that the new stock will utilize a bottom plate but how will that work with my current setup.

And I also understand that selling mine and buying a different rifle is the easy way to go. But nothing is fun if it isn't hard. Learning new things feeds me, so I have debated buying the tools and doing everything myself. I am a wrench turner and I was a precision machining nut in high school, so I think can do it with proper guidance.

I appreciate the suggestions but I can throw a stock on right now, wait a couple weeks and get a barrel. So I'm splitting up my costs and not going broke since I am in the process of building my truck. And yes I understand that I wont get the value back, but you never do unless there is something special about the object. And who's to say I'd ever sell it. Never sold a firearm, only buy them, might as well epoxy some wedding rings to all the barrels in the closet.