Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Savage or howa? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/savage-howa-84170/)

mchoitz 02-14-2013 04:02 AM

I have a .243 savage with an extremely flimsy stock, like turn it 30 degrees flimsy, and I've been debating on buying a new howa bull barrel or buying a new stock.

I'd like to have the bull barrel because my savage is light contour but the debate is 300$ quality stock or 500$ gun?

Any comments about the howa hogue stock or about any other dilemmas posted above?

7mmstw 02-14-2013 05:54 AM

Easily the savage. Howa makes a great rifle but the savage is more easily customizable. Get a vice, barrel tool and headspace gauges and you can have whatever caliber you desire action length restrictions though. sharpshootersupply.com

mchoitz 02-14-2013 10:15 PM

But how much do you think it would cost for a new stock and barrel?

7mmstw 02-15-2013 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mchoitz
But how much do you think it would cost for a new stock and barrel?

A new Douglas match barrel is like $375 and $100 stocks from stockys

mchoitz 02-15-2013 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7mmstw

A new Douglas match barrel is like $375 and $100 stocks from stockys

Ill look into it

jpattersonnh 02-15-2013 01:07 AM

$475.00 for a stock and barrel, $500.00 for a new rifle. Really?? The Howa uses the same bases as the 700, there are quite a few options. If a rifle does what you want out of the box, what would you need to "customize"? Howa rifles are pillar bedded. Barrels are button rifled. Savage makes a VG rifle, but are in no way better then a Howa. You could also sell/trade your rifle and save more $$$.This is an older Howa .308HB that will poke your eye out at a few hundred yards.
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...DSCF0006-4.jpg

mchoitz 02-15-2013 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpattersonnh
$475.00 for a stock and barrel, $500.00 for a new rifle. Really?? The Howa uses the same bases as the 700, there are quite a few options. If a rifle does what you want out of the box, what would you need to "customize"? Howa rifles are pillar bedded. Barrels are button rifled. Savage makes a VG rifle, but are in no way better then a Howa. You could also sell/trade your rifle and save more $$$.This is an older Howa .308HB that will poke your eye out at a few hundred yards.

Ya I was planning on selling/trading it for a howa if I chose that route

Txhillbilly 02-15-2013 02:12 AM

Howa builds some nice shooting rifles,but I'm partial to Savage.
With a Savage Action,you can change your rifle into any caliber in the short action family with a 308 case head,with just a simple barrel change. Or any other caliber with a simple change of the bolt head.
Barrels depending on brand can go for $150-500,it all depends on what you are wanting.
Stocks of many different syles/materials can also be had for the Savage. There are many styles of Laminate stocks that sell for $100-up,Composites can start around $100 and can get into the $700+ range depending on the maker/style.

You could buy a heavy contour barrel,and a new stock and have a target/varmint rifle,and then change back to the sporter barrel for hunting in a few minutes in your garage with a couple simple handtools.
I have more barrels for my Savages than I have actions,and do swaps on them all the time. I can assemble a complete custom rifle from parts with a Savage action in less than an hour,and that includes bore sighting the scope.

If you decide you want to keep the Savage,and do some upgrades,PM me and I can point you in the direction for some good deals on the items that you'll need.


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:09 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.