Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Which Savage big game rifle to get?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2012, 12:53 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Which Savage big game rifle to get?

Im looking at purchassing a big game rifle for some future hunts. Ive made the decision that it has to be a Savage. I have a couple models in mind but am wondering if anyone has any favorites of their own and if so why. The gun preferably needs to be able to be chambered in a .300 win mag. Thanx

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-09-2012, 01:15 AM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Savage is is a great choice,I hunt with a .300 WSM Browning A-Bolt but I have a savage sniper rig chambered in a .308 with accu trigger .300 win mag is your best bet lots of options in ammunition

Combat Corespondent

Old 02-10-2012, 12:03 AM   #3
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1155 Times on 667 Posts
Likes Given: 556

It depends on the type of stock you would like,wood or synthetic.
The metal finish,blued-matte/gloss or stainless steel.
Type of barrel,Sporter weight or Heavy barrel.
With or Without a factory muzzle brake.
Savage makes several models of rifles chambered in 300 Win Mag.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 02-10-2012, 12:22 AM   #4

Liked 696 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 716

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSTRIKERx View Post
Savage is is a great choice,I hunt with a .300 WSM Browning A-Bolt but I have a savage sniper rig chambered in a .308 with accu trigger .300 win mag is your best bet lots of options in ammunition
Savage makes wanna be sniper rigs, Not real toys. Where are you a Sniper??

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostgotme View Post
Im looking at purchassing a big game rifle for some future hunts. Ive made the decision that it has to be a Savage. I have a couple models in mind but am wondering if anyone has any favorites of their own and if so why. The gun preferably needs to be able to be chambered in a .300 win mag. Thanx
You may want to consider a used rifle. I know of a "new" as in never fired F series Savage 110 for less then $400.00. She needs a front sight blade, which Savage has for a couple dollars. They were shipped without them. 7mm Remington magnum. I have a G Series Sierra lite in 7mm Rem Mag. Great rifle and round. I like it much better then the new Glock style trigger.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:39 AM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Im not a sniper but my rifle I set up was sent with two of my co workers to a FBI sniper school where they passed with flying colors the instructors there where impressed with the rig I set up 3.5x10x50 Leupold Mark 4 TMR reticle,but if you really want to get down to a real rig it doesn't top my rifle built by GA precision but the savage will get the job done for a small municipal SWAT team,I mean these guys are not shooting mountain top to mountain top using a McMillan TAC .50

Combat Corespondent

Old 02-10-2012, 11:44 AM   #7

There are so many that call a rig a sniper rifle, when they are simply a very accurate target gun that has a few extras added. I have a few "Snipers", but my Howa HB although it was intended for a NH police dept for the Sniper roll did not come in w/ the correct stamps. In my hands it is a fun, accurate target/ hunting rig.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:28 PM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Yeah well,Gunny Hathcock and lots of other snipers used hunting rifles and a M2 Browning machine gun to snipe with.That's like a M-21 hey just rigged up M-14 combat rifle.I just thought I would help a guy out with a big game rifle and hey Savage is a good choice,by the way a sniper is the person not the rifle.

Combat Corespondent

Old 02-10-2012, 12:55 PM   #9
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20938 Times on 11895 Posts
Likes Given: 52509

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
There are so many that call a rig a sniper rifle, when they are simply a very accurate target gun that has a few extras added. I have a few "Snipers", but my Howa HB although it was intended for a NH police dept for the Sniper roll did not come in w/ the correct stamps. In my hands it is a fun, accurate target/ hunting rig.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xSTRIKERx View Post
Yeah well,Gunny Hathcock and lots of other snipers used hunting rifles and a M2 Browning machine gun to snipe with.That's like a M-21 hey just rigged up M-14 combat rifle.I just thought I would help a guy out with a big game rifle and hey Savage is a good choice,by the way a sniper is the person not the rifle.
JP is right. many use the term, "sniper rifle" to decribe an accurate rifle, and IMO is way overused and misused too much. just because it's accurate, has a heavy barrel and a big scope on it, doesn't make it a sniper rifle. so what make a rifle a sniper rifle? IMO, an accurate, precision made rifle, used to eliminate a target with pinpoint accuracy, by a highly trained military or LEO in his current job. so IMO, any rifle, regardless of it's potential accuracy, unless used by someone in the military or LE who uses that rifle in his day to day job, as a sniper is just an accurate target rifle.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:02 PM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Not if that's what its designed for,then go buy a Knights M-110 or a M-40 "SNIPER RIGS" and hunt with it

Combat Corespondent