Savage Axis vs Mossberg 100 ATR
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Savage Axis vs Mossberg 100 ATR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2013, 01:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 121 Times on 88 Posts

Default Savage Axis vs Mossberg 100 ATR

I'm looking for an entry level bolt action, and have come across these 2. which one would you pick of the 2?

both are in .308 I'm not an avid hunter, but have always thought about starting into it. for the most part, I'm going to be using it to put holes in paper for a while. longest range I currently have access to is about 350-400 yards.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-02-2013, 01:24 PM   #2

Liked 2391 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I've looked into both extensively. I've handled both, money just never came free for one. From what I saw/ felt I would buy the savage. Handles better for me and the bolt seems smoother.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:13 PM   #3

Liked 38 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Between the two, I'd go with the Mossberg ATR. You might want to check out the Marlin X or Ruger American in .308, as they are worthy of consideration and in same price range.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:44 PM   #4

Huffman, any reason why you suggest the mossberg over the savage?

I've not had a chance to handle either one yet, and have been "internet shopping"

from what I've read so far, I've heard that the mossberg's bolt is clunky feeling, but the savage bolt feels a lot smoother.

Anyone who's shot either one or both...how was out of the box accuracy? trigger feel?

Old 02-02-2013, 02:50 PM   #5

Liked 2495 Times on 1621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by huffmanite
Between the two, I'd go with the Mossberg ATR. You might want to check out the Marlin X or Ruger American in .308, as they are worthy of consideration and in same price range.
I haven't handled the axis, are, or Ruger. That said, I saw a Ruger American in .308 yesterday at wallyworld in Lima. Guns magazine (March 2013) was grouping consistently at an inch with factory ammo(30-06), many times under an inch. It's 100% American made, reportedly smooth action, for $400. Kinda sexy looking, too. I know what I would do.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 02-02-2013, 03:00 PM   #6
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cuda383 View Post
Huffman, any reason why you suggest the mossberg over the savage?

I've not had a chance to handle either one yet, and have been "internet shopping"

from what I've read so far, I've heard that the mossberg's bolt is clunky feeling, but the savage bolt feels a lot smoother.

Anyone who's shot either one or both...how was out of the box accuracy? trigger feel?
Cuda, i have owned the ATR100 in 30-06. very smooth bolt, decent trigger, though mine wasn't adjustable that i knew of, and pretty danged accurate. IMO i like how it felt when shouldered better than the Axis. i have never owned the Axis but have shot a few. and from a personal preference, i like the Mossberg better. for me the Axis feels like a youth gun.

downside, well you knew there had to be one didn't you! well compared to other rifles i have had, and do have in the same cartridge, that Mossberg was one of the hardest recoiling 30-06 rifles i have ever owned! felt more like a 300 Win. Mag. than a 30-06. but that rifle was a literal tackdriver when it came to being accurate.

another good option which i own three of and one in 308 as well, are the Marlin X7 series. much beter at dealing with recoil, have pillar bedded stocks, an adjustable trigger, and have very good accuracy. priced pretty decently as well and built very nicely. they are in about the same price range as the other choices you listed. give them a look at and some consideration. most people who have bought one are not disappointed. good luck.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:25 PM   #7

Liked 38 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 5

70cuda383. by the way nice car. Why ATR over Axis? Familiar with Axis since I own one in .223. Decently accurate, but its stock, trigger and poor ejection of fired brass causes me to be negative on the Axis. As to the ATR, I do not own one. Have seen a few of them at range I'm a member and their owners were pleased with the rifle. Gent I shoot with on a regular basis had a 7mm-08 ATR at range for 3 Sundays straight before last deer season here and was developing a hunting load for it and etc. His son had recently purchased it. This gent owns some fairly high end Savage rifles and a couple of Remington 700 Custom Shop rifles, all very fine shooting rifles. He was impressed enough with the ATR to comment "I might have to get one of these for myself.... has a decent trigger and pretty darn accurate for a cheap rifle." Be aware, only thing that has prevented me from buying an ATR or similiar Mossberg rifle is way barrel is installed in receiver that does not lend itself to easily replacing it.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:41 PM   #8

Thanks for the advice.

and the car is a work in progress. gotta LONG way to go! especially since I can't narrow myself down to just ONE hobby! guns or cars....guns or cars....I just can't pick, so I have both! haha.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:45 PM   #9

Liked 185 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 106

My cousin has an ATR in 30-06 and axxe is not lying when he says it kicks like a mule. I own an axis in .308 and it's a great gun. If there was one thing I would change it would be the trigger. I have heard people say that it comes at about 7lbs from the factory.

Marlin Model 60
Mossberg Maverick 88-12 GA
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2
Savage Model 11
Saiga 7.62x39
Mossberg MVP Varmint
Chinese T53 Mosin Nagant X2

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 02-02-2013, 04:51 PM   #10
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNARG View Post
My cousin has an ATR in 30-06 and axxe is not lying when he says it kicks like a mule. I own an axis in .308 and it's a great gun. If there was one thing I would change it would be the trigger. I have heard people say that it comes at about 7lbs from the factory.
the mule comment is putting it mildly!

but the rifle is very accurate. as an accurate hunting rifle, i would definately recommend it. as a target rifle or casual plinker, there might be some better choices. now with a stock change, and Boyd's Gunstocks does have a laminated stock for it, it might cure some of the recoil problem. that and a better recoil pad.