Savage Axis concerns...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Savage Axis concerns...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2013, 05:10 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: Washington...the state, not the District of Columbia
Liked 26 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default Savage Axis concerns...

So I'll try to make this short and simple. I currently have a Savage Axis in .223 on layaway(I owe about 200 on it.) The retailer really made it sound good. I held the rifle and I like the ergonomic feel. However, I've been getting some mixed reviews about this rifle. Most of them are positive, but the few negative reviews are a matter of concern for me. I've heard of problems with the action being clunky and stiff, ejection and extraction problems, as well as horrible trigger pull.(non-acutrigger) Has anyone here experienced the same problems? If so, what is the best way to correct this?
I was also wondering if it's possible to apply M4/M16 style iron sights on the rifle. I know it comes drilled and tapped for a scope, but I simply prefer iron sights.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-09-2013, 01:36 PM   #2

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

Quote:
f so, what is the best way to correct this?
Get off the internet.

Really the Axis is a great rifle for the money. It is an entry level rifle. They are not as refined as a Model 12 LRPV or a Remington 700 or a Win m70. They are not meant to be. They are meant to be an affordable first rifle that will get you out shooting. If I were you I would reserve judgement until you get the rifle and shoot it.

As for the sights. The M16 style sights are some of the worst sights ever devised (IMHO). But, if you have the money you can do anything to any rifle. If you want open sights you can get them put on there. The problem lies in the stock of the rifle is made for use with a scope that has the center line aprox 1.5" above the line of the bore. So to put open sights on it you would be really smashing your face into the stock. Soon you would find out that it is uncomfortable and not as accurate. As for the trigger sure you can improve any factory trigger by buying an aftermarket trigger Like a Timney or a Jewell. I will caution you though If you have never installed or tinkered with trigger groups to have a qualified gun smith do it. It could be the difference between life and death. Timney makes a good quality trigger for the Axis. I highly doubt Jewell does though but, If you can't afford to put a Jewell on every rifle you own don't buy one. Once you use a Jewell you will never be satisfied with any other trigger EVER. This is why I have well over $5k in Jewell triggers on my rifles.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:37 PM   #3

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootnscoot View Post
So I'll try to make this short and simple. I currently have a Savage Axis in .223 on layaway(I owe about 200 on it.) The retailer really made it sound good. I held the rifle and I like the ergonomic feel. However, I've been getting some mixed reviews about this rifle. Most of them are positive, but the few negative reviews are a matter of concern for me. I've heard of problems with the action being clunky and stiffNO this is not the case for the AXIS , maybe the remmy 770 but not this one , ejection and extraction problems, Again not with this one, Im sure you may find a few cases out there but this will be guys trying to run cheap steel cased ammo thru them , you use brass is this rifle it will never be a issue , as well as horrible trigger pull.(non-acutrigger)Not great but can be remedied for about $3 and a little bit of time Has anyone here experienced the same problems? If so, what is the best way to correct this?
I was also wondering if it's possible to apply M4/M16 style iron sights on the rifle. I know it comes drilled and tapped for a scope, but I simply prefer iron sights.
I own the exact same gun you are purchasing , It is a tack driver with my buddies reloads . and for factory ammo mine shoots remington UMCs as well or better than most of the high dollar stuff on the shelf . It will shoot dime sized groups with UMCs @ 100 yards and tighter with my buddies reloads he builds for me . The trigger is not great but it can be remedied for about $3 and a little bit of time . The barrels come off the same machine that their high end barrels come off of so expect accuracy out of this rifle . My action is very smooth . Remember you cant expect a $900 gun for $300 you have to give up a little some where . The stock flexs a little but its not a concern with the .223 as it has very little recoil . Bigger calibers like the 7mm yes I would be a bit concerned. As for putting irons on it , that will proabably cost you 1/2 to as much as the rifle costs , Buy a bushnell banner in 3-9, 3-9 Bushy Trophy , with quality low scope mounts, get them as close as you can to make the scope clear the barrel and you will have a good accurate shooting gun . I shoot out to 450 with a 1-4 Nikon scope on a AR , a 3-9 will get you as far as you will need with the .223 . You just dont need anything bigger than that

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Last edited by purehavoc; 08-09-2013 at 02:45 PM.
People Like This 
Old 08-09-2013, 07:57 PM   #4

Location: Washington...the state, not the District of Columbia
Liked 26 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Thanks for clearing up my concerns. The vast majority of the reviews I've read about the Axis have been positive, so I'm really looking forward to picking this rifle up and getting back on the range.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:10 PM   #5

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Quote:
Thanks for clearing up my concerns. The vast majority of the reviews I've read about the Axis have been positive, so I'm really looking forward to picking this rifle up and getting back on the range.
No problem , glad I could help . You will always see far more bad reviews out there than good ones and this goes for anything in the sales market . People spread the sh!t quickly about something bad but you rarely hear form the people that have good luck with stuff . Why ? Because there isn't a problem that people throw out there on the Internet for everyone to see .

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens
People Like This 
Old 08-09-2013, 08:51 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 762 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 786

I have a handful of Savage rifles, in several calibers, and the only problem I got ....

is EVERYBODY wants to shoot them ,when they see what they can do.

Jim

People Like This 
Old 08-09-2013, 09:02 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 987 Times on 652 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

Quote:
Originally Posted by phideaux View Post
I have a handful of Savage rifles, in several calibers, and the only problem I got ....

is EVERYBODY wants to shoot them ,when they see what they can do.

Jim
Champagne accuracy, on a beer budget.....

Become steel or get cut.
People Like This 
Old 08-10-2013, 02:20 AM   #8

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

Have the 308 and its one of the most accurate 308s I have shot.

Old 08-10-2013, 02:25 AM   #9

Liked 38 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Own an Axis .223. Yep, trigger left a lot to be desired by me. Did a trigger job on it and while not getting it to what I like for shooting from benchrest, did improve the trigger pull.

As to extraction problems/ejection problems: No problem pulling spent case out of the chamber, but getting the spent case to eject properly from the receiver is a problem with mine. Imagine you are benchrest shooting and want to slowly pull back the bolt and grab the spent case from the extractor on the bolt face like I can do on all my other bolt action rifles (about 20). Well, my 223 brass falls off the extractor into receiver and I have to tilt the receiver sideways to dump the spent brass out. Have to yank back hard just to get the brass to dribble out of the receiver. With my other rifles, such a hard yank on the bolt handle would throw the brass pretty far from me.

You omitted complaints about stock flex in area of trigger guard when shooting from benchrest. Have a 24 power scope on my Axis. Could plainly see up to an inch vertical movement of my crosshair on a 100 yd target during pulling of trigger when shooting from benchrest. LOL, wasn't my shooting technique, had 2 other benchrest shooters take my Axis to their table and they noticed the vertical movement o crosshair on target when shooting the rifle. I solved the flex problem by making a wood stock for my Axis.

My Axis was decently accurate out of the box. It is more accurate for me now.

Old 08-10-2013, 02:29 AM   #10
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
i have shot several of the Savage Axis rifles in various calibers. never had any problems with them. they were pretty danged accurate. the trigger is a bit heavy for my liking, but really not a bad trigger. bolt is fairly smooth as well.

actually i prefer the Marlin X7's over the Axis. this is strictly a preference of the ergonomics of the Axis. it feels too small to me and doesn't shoulder as well as the X7's do. but it's a rifle i recommend and suggest for a new shooter on a tight budget check out, because it is a good rifle.

if the Axis felt good when you shouldered it, then you have nothing to worry about. it's a dang good rifle.