Savage axis bolt in model 10 action?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Savage axis bolt in model 10 action?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2014, 02:23 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Savage axis bolt in model 10 action?

I just bought a model 10 savage on gun broker. I stripped the whole gun to inspect and clean the whole thing well including disassembling the bolt. When I got to the bolt it has a rear spring assembly on the firing pin like the axis bolts instead of the typical model 10 bolt where the spring is attached to the pin and there is a sleeve at the rear of the bolt assembly.
I looked up the action number on savage and it conformed it is a model 10 action made in 2012.
My question is could someone have swapped the bolts in this gun and put an axis bolt in the 10 action?
Any advice is appreciated! Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-21-2014, 02:31 AM   #2

Liked 1400 Times on 800 Posts
Likes Given: 683

The bolt head should have the same serial # on it as the action,if it doesn't,it's not the factory bolt.
Can you post some pictures of it disassembled? I haven't heard of Savage changing anything on the 10/110 bolts,but that doesn't mean they didn't.

This is what it should look like -
Savage axis bolt in model 10 action? - General Rifle Discussion
North American Hunting Club

Last edited by Txhillbilly; 06-21-2014 at 02:34 AM.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:19 PM   #3

I did see the last 4 digits of the serial on the bolt head, but not the whole number.
Here is my bolt disassembled.
ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1403388980.015943.jpg
The parts schematic for my serial number on the savage website shows your style bolt.
ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1403389056.174414.jpg
Says it was manufactures 5/23/2012 so I wouldn't think the bolt would have changed then changed back?
Thanks for the help

Old 06-21-2014, 11:20 PM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22385 Times on 12492 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots83 View Post
I did see the last 4 digits of the serial on the bolt head, but not the whole number.
Attachment 145611
The parts schematic for my serial number on the savage website shows your style bolt.
Attachment 145612
Says it was manufactures 5/23/2012 so I wouldn't think the bolt would have changed then changed back?
Thanks for the help

usually they just use the last four or five digits of the SN etched or engraved on the bolt to identify it.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:32 PM   #5

Liked 2222 Times on 1526 Posts
Likes Given: 820

If the last 4 numbers match it is the bolt that belongs in the gun. Anytime you see something funny about a used gun call the manufacturer. The advice you get from an internet forum is worth exactly what you paid for it or as my wife says "It's on the internet it must be true." [sarcasm]

Last edited by John_Deer; 06-21-2014 at 11:36 PM.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:51 PM   #6
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22385 Times on 12492 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
If the last 4 numbers match it is the bolt that belongs in the gun. Anytime you see something funny about a used gun call the manufacturer. The advice you get from an internet forum is worth exactly what you paid for it or as my wife says "It's on the internet it must be true." [sarcasm]
as long as the information is truthful and factual, it can be worth a lot to those seeking that information.

the problem is there are too many "so-called experts" posting misinformation or incorrect information on things they have no knowledge of that make it bad for those seeking good information.
People Like This 
Old 06-22-2014, 12:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Attachment 145611
Attachment 145612
Thanks for the help

I'd call Savage and ask them if they changed the design on the newer 10/110 series rifles.All of mine are older rifles except for the new Varmint action that I built my 6.5 Creedmoor with,and I haven't needed to disassemble the bolt on it to see if it's different.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:57 PM   #8

I must admit I'm a little disappointed with savage. I called today and they couldn't tell me anything other than what I saw on the schematic. The lady I talked to couldn't even tell me when or if they changed the design of the firing pin springs and removed that sleeve.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:01 PM   #9

Boots,call Savage back,and ask for Effie Sullivan. If she can't help you find an answer,then I don't know what to tell you.

Old 06-24-2014, 04:43 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7097 Times on 3771 Posts
Likes Given: 541

Quote:
I must admit I'm a little disappointed with savage. I called today and they couldn't tell me anything other than what I saw on the schematic. The lady I talked to couldn't even tell me when or if they changed the design of the firing pin springs and removed that sleeve.

thats been my experience with savage cs. if you buy a savage your pretty much buying as is with no real support.

i bought a savage 10 fcpsr and after 5 calls the best i got out of em was it was my fault the for not pulling the trigger correctly for light strikes non firing.

so determining i was on my own i disassembled the bolt found the bent striker assembly. ordered a new bolt assembly from midway. even after sending in video evidence of the out of round bent striker assembly i got its not savage's fault from the cs rep...

anyway the guns are great when they work but if you have an issue the most common response is denial in my experience. the model 10 is now the wife's and i have one of their mark2 22lr which was not assembled correctly. once more round the denial of responsibility with savage cs. took the trigger assembly apart reassembled correctly works fine now.

good products craptastic customer service.

so i feel your pain dealng with savage isnt fun
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent