savage axis
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > savage axis

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2012, 10:57 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Travis896's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 7
Default savage axis

Thinking about buying an axis in .308. I would appreciate some pros and cons of the rifle and caliber for whitetail hunting. Thanks.

__________________
Travis896 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 01-19-2013, 05:41 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Riverside
Posts: 40
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

I can't speak to .308, mine is chambered in 30-06 Springfield. This rifle is a tack driver. It's light, so you need a steady hand or a shooting aid (bi-pod, etc) to shoot consistent sub-moa groups. The trigger is a little tight at about 7 lbs, I suggest investing in the accu-trigger Savage makes. I have had 1 bothersome issue with mine- the action has occasionally failed to strip a round out of the magazine and has on more than a few occasions has caught only a portion of the case it's trying to feed resulting in a double feed or a jam. I'm going to try to expand the follower spring to have it push a little harder while I wait for the replacement magazine to arrive, I'll let you know how that works.

__________________
firelt is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:55 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,193
Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by firelt View Post
I can't speak to .308, mine is chambered in 30-06 Springfield. This rifle is a tack driver. It's light, so you need a steady hand or a shooting aid (bi-pod, etc) to shoot consistent sub-moa groups. The trigger is a little tight at about 7 lbs, I suggest investing in the accu-trigger Savage makes. I have had 1 bothersome issue with mine- the action has occasionally failed to strip a round out of the magazine and has on more than a few occasions has caught only a portion of the case it's trying to feed resulting in a double feed or a jam. I'm going to try to expand the follower spring to have it push a little harder while I wait for the replacement magazine to arrive, I'll let you know how that works.
The stock is well crap, the trigger is heavy as hell, easy fix, trigger tthat is, the action is not real smooth, the guns shoot great an for the price, well cant go wrong just dont expect a 1000$ gun an u will be happy. Look at marlin x7s in 308 before u jump on a axis, its a way better gun. The fit an finish on it is great the stock is good, the trigger is awesome an adjustable.
__________________
Muliemaster is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:06 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
longunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,169
Liked 185 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Default

I just got one not 4 days ago and it sure is a hoot to shoot. Mines in .308 and if there was one thing to change it would be the trigger its too heavy for me but idk how to adjust it lol

__________________

Marlin Model 60
Mossberg Maverick 88-12 GA
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2
Savage Model 11
Saiga 7.62x39
Mossberg MVP Varmint
Chinese T53 Mosin Nagant X2

longunner is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:08 PM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis896
Thinking about buying an axis in .308. I would appreciate some pros and cons of the rifle and caliber for whitetail hunting. Thanks.
I have a .308 axis stainless and i couldn't be much happier! The ONLY thing left to be desired is a accu trigger but Timney makes a 100$ trigger adjustable down to 1 lb and im sure you could find one cheaper. Its a very well made gun i haven't never once had any jamming issues or the bolt failing in any way nor the magazine. Maybe i got lucky but then again maybe i didnt
__________________
EMan2008 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:27 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,193
Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNARG View Post
I just got one not 4 days ago and it sure is a hoot to shoot. Mines in .308 and if there was one thing to change it would be the trigger its too heavy for me but idk how to adjust it lol
You cant adjust it but u can change the spring to make the pull much lighter. Its as simple as unbolting the action remove the c clip on the trigger pin, take the spring off the bottom of the trigger an either replace it with a spring from a bic pen or cut 2.5 rings off the spring. If u change the spring u need to put a short screw 6/32 through where the spring was stuck through the threads on the trigger. An wa la u have a good trigger for less than 2$
__________________
Muliemaster is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:12 AM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Riverside
Posts: 40
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by firelt View Post
I have had 1 bothersome issue with mine- the action has occasionally failed to strip a round out of the magazine and has on more than a few occasions has caught only a portion of the case it's trying to feed resulting in a double feed or a jam. I'm going to try to expand the follower spring to have it push a little harder while I wait for the replacement magazine to arrive, I'll let you know how that works.
Update- today I dis-assembled the magazine and gave the follower spring a light stretching, which increased the tension and solved the issue. I was able to cycle 20 rounds through it without any issues.
__________________
firelt is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:23 AM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,193
Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by firelt View Post
Update- today I dis-assembled the magazine and gave the follower spring a light stretching, which increased the tension and solved the issue. I was able to cycle 20 rounds through it without any issues.
Awesome good deal, its cool what a guy can do with a few min an some thinkin huh
__________________
Muliemaster is offline  
firelt Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:39 AM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
lukeisme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 200
Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts

Default

I bought one for my son in .308. I love that gun. Trigger is not so hot but what a shooter. It handles everything from the 165 gr sst that we hunt with to the 160 cast we practice with. It almost keeps pace with my 700 sps. I would not hesitate to grab another one if I come across it.

__________________
lukeisme is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:21 PM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Travis896's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 7
Default

Havent been on this site in a while but i thought i will update. I bought the gun in. 308 and love it. Have absolutely no complaints ad it shoots great with heavy 180 grains. (I use 180s because i only shoot out to 100 yards for hunting.)

__________________
Travis896 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Savage Axis .223 BlackBeautyF150 General Rifle Discussion 21 08-09-2012 06:43 PM
Rem 770 vrs Savage Axis tjacobson General Rifle Discussion 4 02-24-2012 01:13 AM
Is thete a Difference between the Axis and the Axis XP by Savage? DerHund15 General Rifle Discussion 3 12-02-2011 07:33 PM
A new Savage Axis for me!! SoupNazi General Rifle Discussion 12 09-23-2011 01:32 PM