Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Savage AXIS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2011, 03:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Savage AXIS

Anyone have any experiance with these? My sister-inlaws boyfriend is looking for a cheap first varmint gun and we seen one on Gallery of Guns for $275. I cant imagin its the most accurate thing out there but aslong as it can hit a groundhog or coyote at 100-200yrds I thought it would be a good starter rifle for him. I have never seen one in person so any input from someone who has or better yet owns and has shot one would be helpfull. Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-30-2011, 07:03 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 303 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 58

This 10 shots of Wolf ammo from 100 yards with the supplied Bushnell 3x9-40 scope. If I remember correctly they were shots 31-40 down the tube

Old 02-01-2011, 01:17 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Not to bad at all. I'm half way considering one in .308. If it weren't for a bad deal with Savage on a 93 I had I would have ordered it allready but I need to see one in person first.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:54 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Used to be Savage Edge, Axis is supposed to be the best at its price range.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:58 AM   #5

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Here's some reading. I'd say go for it!

Out of the box accuracy.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-01-2011, 04:35 AM   #6

Liked 48 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 44

I have a Stevens 200 Basically the same gun. Mine is a 308. If I shoot slow it shoots 1/2 MOA, but if I shoot more than 2 shots quick they open up. Mine has the light barrel so heat is a factor. I think they come with barrel options so get a little heavier barrel. If you are gonna use it for hunting it doesn't really matter if you make the first shot count or space your shots out a couple of minutes. I really like mine, for a $300 gun you can't beat it.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 02-01-2011, 02:28 PM   #7

Liked 36 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I have a couple of Stevens 200, a 7mm-08 & .270. Also own a Axis/Edge in .223. All three rifles are accurate. Axis/Edge looks better, but I prefer the Stevens. Slightly easier to reduce trigger pull on a Stevens than an Axis. Also, holes drilled on an Axis receiver for two piece scope base are farther apart than on a Stevens. Be prepared to mount a long tubed scope on an Axis or invest in extension rings.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:51 PM   #8

I had one and won't own another. The stock just felt too cheap to me. It took me quite awhile to find an accurate load for it. People talk of out of box accuratice while this maybe true of their rifles mine wasn't. A Marlin XL/XS 7 is a much better rifle for not too much more money. The trigger pull on the Axis/Edge are very heavy and not adjustable. With the Stevens the trigger is the old style of Savage trigger and is somewhat adjustable. Although I've never owned a Stevens my nephew did (270 Win) and it was a very accurate rifle.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:36 PM   #9

I would opt for the Stevens 200. The Axis is not in the same "family" as the Savage 110/ Stevens 200, so parts are not compatible. That's assuming your SIL's boyfriend ever wanted to change anything about it. There are no aftermarket stocks available and the stocks for the 110/ 10 series won't fit. The Edge has the recoil lug integrated into the stock. I belive Rifle Basix makes a trigger now but can't say for sure.

After all that, I should have just stopped at "I would opt for the Stevens 200". Both are in the same price range.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Last edited by jeepcreep927; 02-06-2011 at 10:49 PM.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:53 PM   #10

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge View Post
I had one and won't own another. The stock just felt too cheap to me. It took me quite awhile to find an accurate load for it. People talk of out of box accuratice while this maybe true of their rifles mine wasn't. A Marlin XL/XS 7 is a much better rifle for not too much more money. The trigger pull on the Axis/Edge are very heavy and not adjustable. With the Stevens the trigger is the old style of Savage trigger and is somewhat adjustable. Although I've never owned a Stevens my nephew did (270 Win) and it was a very accurate rifle.
That's the way I would push the sil's boyfriend. I believe Marlin offers some of the calibers in wood stocks now as well. Since Marlin, NEF, H&R are the same family, then the wood stocks theoretically are from the NEF/H&R family. All I have to say is "beautiful" and functional.