Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Savage AXIS (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/savage-axis-37638/)

nate 01-30-2011 03:43 PM

Savage AXIS

Anyone have any experiance with these? My sister-inlaws boyfriend is looking for a cheap first varmint gun and we seen one on Gallery of Guns for $275. I cant imagin its the most accurate thing out there but aslong as it can hit a groundhog or coyote at 100-200yrds I thought it would be a good starter rifle for him. I have never seen one in person so any input from someone who has or better yet owns and has shot one would be helpfull. Thanks.

aandabooks 01-30-2011 07:03 PM

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/g...s/100_1520.jpg

This 10 shots of Wolf ammo from 100 yards with the supplied Bushnell 3x9-40 scope. If I remember correctly they were shots 31-40 down the tube

nate 02-01-2011 01:17 AM

Not to bad at all. I'm half way considering one in .308. If it weren't for a bad deal with Savage on a 93 I had I would have ordered it allready but I need to see one in person first.

Poink88 02-01-2011 01:54 AM

Used to be Savage Edge, Axis is supposed to be the best at its price range.

canebrake 02-01-2011 01:58 AM

Here's some reading. I'd say go for it!

Out of the box accuracy.

dteed4094 02-01-2011 04:35 AM

I have a Stevens 200 Basically the same gun. Mine is a 308. If I shoot slow it shoots 1/2 MOA, but if I shoot more than 2 shots quick they open up. Mine has the light barrel so heat is a factor. I think they come with barrel options so get a little heavier barrel. If you are gonna use it for hunting it doesn't really matter if you make the first shot count or space your shots out a couple of minutes. I really like mine, for a $300 gun you can't beat it.

huffmanite 02-01-2011 02:28 PM

I have a couple of Stevens 200, a 7mm-08 & .270. Also own a Axis/Edge in .223. All three rifles are accurate. Axis/Edge looks better, but I prefer the Stevens. Slightly easier to reduce trigger pull on a Stevens than an Axis. Also, holes drilled on an Axis receiver for two piece scope base are farther apart than on a Stevens. Be prepared to mount a long tubed scope on an Axis or invest in extension rings.

dodge 02-06-2011 09:51 PM

I had one and won't own another. The stock just felt too cheap to me. It took me quite awhile to find an accurate load for it. People talk of out of box accuratice while this maybe true of their rifles mine wasn't. A Marlin XL/XS 7 is a much better rifle for not too much more money. The trigger pull on the Axis/Edge are very heavy and not adjustable. With the Stevens the trigger is the old style of Savage trigger and is somewhat adjustable. Although I've never owned a Stevens my nephew did (270 Win) and it was a very accurate rifle.

jeepcreep927 02-06-2011 10:36 PM

I would opt for the Stevens 200. The Axis is not in the same "family" as the Savage 110/ Stevens 200, so parts are not compatible. That's assuming your SIL's boyfriend ever wanted to change anything about it. There are no aftermarket stocks available and the stocks for the 110/ 10 series won't fit. The Edge has the recoil lug integrated into the stock. I belive Rifle Basix makes a trigger now but can't say for sure.

After all that, I should have just stopped at "I would opt for the Stevens 200". Both are in the same price range.

skullcrusher 02-06-2011 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dodge (Post 438684)
I had one and won't own another. The stock just felt too cheap to me. It took me quite awhile to find an accurate load for it. People talk of out of box accuratice while this maybe true of their rifles mine wasn't. A Marlin XL/XS 7 is a much better rifle for not too much more money. The trigger pull on the Axis/Edge are very heavy and not adjustable. With the Stevens the trigger is the old style of Savage trigger and is somewhat adjustable. Although I've never owned a Stevens my nephew did (270 Win) and it was a very accurate rifle.

That's the way I would push the sil's boyfriend. I believe Marlin offers some of the calibers in wood stocks now as well. Since Marlin, NEF, H&R are the same family, then the wood stocks theoretically are from the NEF/H&R family. All I have to say is "beautiful" and functional. :D