Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Savage Axis .308 Optics (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/savage-axis-308-optics-55379/)

glockenstein 01-13-2012 01:10 AM

Savage Axis .308 Optics

I'm thinking of getting a Savage Axis .308.
Anyone have a recommendation for optics? Looking in the $300-400 range.
Thanks!

canebrake 01-13-2012 01:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Buy it with the factory scope.

Savage AXIS XP 308 W/SCP $314.00 SHIPS FREE

hardluk1 01-13-2012 10:49 PM

For what they charge with the scope get it,try it. Might be all you need. Atleast you have a base and rings and if a scope is still needed buy a new redfield 3-9x 40. !50 bucks ,made be leupold .

dks7895 01-13-2012 11:00 PM

I bought a Stevens 200 with the factory mounted scope. It's a made in china 3-9x40 with Bushnell printed on it. It is the exact same scope as the $30 Walmart Tasco. Pretty clear and works ok. The rings are cheap but do work ok. I pulled it off and put it on my daughter's 10/22. I agree with Hardluk1.... Redfield Revolution is hard to beat for $150.

Catfish 01-13-2012 11:16 PM

I picked up an Axis in 22-250 used. The trigger really sucks and the only way to make it liter is to cut a spring, do it carfully a little at a time and you`ll be ok. The recoil lug is molded into the stock instead of on the action, I don`t like that eather. The gun is fairly lite, but the stock is good and stiff, unlike some of the other cheaper guns. Main thing is, it is a tack driver, at least when I zeroed the Leupold I put on it it sure seemed like it, 1/2 in. 5 shot group at 100 yrds. with some 55 gr. Varmint nite mares I had loaded so no load work was done. The way it shoots I can put up with the things I don`t like about it.

Hookeye 01-15-2012 10:54 PM

I think the recoil lug is inserted into the stock, not molded in. The stock isn't very stiff, at least on the ones I've seen. One can stiffen up the front by putting epoxy in the forend hollow, that'll help with bipod usage (lessen your ability to torque it like when when the target moves and you have to change aim). Some folks epoxy in the trigger guard, but that is where the magazine locks in, may be a wear item and possibly require another mod later.

The comb is low, using low rings, or even some mediums, makes for bolt handle contact. Clearing the bolt with a higher set of rings might get the scope too high for a good cheekweld. I clearanced my bolt handle and even then added a cheekpiece to the stock (made out of Kydex).

Spring clipping didn't do crap for my trigger, so I put a screw in from the bottom where the factory spring was (10-24 pitch) and used a different spring over it. I dressed the sear a bit and had mine down to less than 3 # for about $2.

The screw I added took most of the overtravel out. I could have made it better but a longer screw would have required some cleanup of the trigger body up front so the sear assembly would sweep during bolt removal. Non critical area but I figured it was good enough the way it was.

I put enough work in cleaning up the cheap rifle as it was.

My lug was NOT centered in the stock when I got it, and a simple brass hammer of substantial impact got the pc to seat in the recess. Suspect it a keystone shaped pc in a comparable pocket. It moved, centered, and stayed so doubt it was molded in.

With trigger work, stock work, I too got .50-.75" groups at 100 yards, with factory non premium ammo.

I had the Redfield 4-12X on mine. It was a close fit in the ring spacing. Scored a Leupold 4-12X AO and it would NOT fit. The solution there is a multi slot one pc base............EGW offers one for about 40 bucks or so.

I dislike long actions and short rounds, and wanted to use the Leupold........ so sold it and went back to a 700.

dzander 01-21-2012 11:42 PM

I bought this rifle and half way thru this deer season went and put the nikon 3x9x40 prostaff for 169 on it. And my daughter dropped a 7 point at 275 yds actually shot it 2 times as it got up. The rifle shoots the hornandy 165 sst superformance well.

Hookeye 01-29-2012 05:46 AM

My old beater Axis: trigger job, bolt dressed for scope clearance, cheekpiece added, forarm stiffened, textured paint job.

Yeah the sling doesn't match, but it's a nice sling.......a Bianchi suede Cobra from 1976. Still almost like new :)

http://www.firearmstalk.com/images/3...axis1-1919.jpg

dzander 01-29-2012 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dzander
I bought this rifle and half way thru this deer season went and put the nikon 3x9x40 prostaff for 169 on it. And my daughter dropped a 7 point at 275 yds actually shot it 2 times as it got up. The rifle shoots the hornandy 165 sst superformance well.

The trigger was over 6 pounds when i got it but that is a simple fix. There are a couple videos on u tube that show how to do it. It now breaks at 2.75