Savage Arms Dumps The .300 AAC Blackout
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Savage Arms Dumps The .300 AAC Blackout

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2012, 09:24 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Default Savage Arms Dumps The .300 AAC Blackout

"Some time ago, Savage announced it would be chambering the Model 10 Precision Carbine in 300 AAC Blackout. Since that time, we have tested many variants of this cartridge in various barrel lengths and rates of twist. This exhaustive testing left us quite unsatisfied with the accuracy we were able to get from the subsonic loads in this chambering. Accuracy with the lighter, faster loads in this caliber was actually quite good. But we believe the real value in this cartridge lies in the use of subsonic loads for suppressed rifles. Therefore we have decided to scrap the project.

It is our understanding that pushing these heavy, slow bullets presents challenges not found in typical loadings and that our experience is not unique. Subsequently, many in the industry have simply adopted a lower standard for accuracy for these subsonic loads. While this does seem reasonable and we don't criticize any in our industry that have taken this approach, it just won't work for Savage.

Our brand was built on accuracy and we are too protective of our reputation for building the most accurate factory rifles available. We would rather walk away from this opportunity than sell a product that requires an explanation."

http://www.savagearms.com/

I'll give them a lot of credit for going public with the statement and taking the time to explain the issues they had, rather than just say nothing and give up leaving everyone who was wanting this to speculate. Savage is a class act all the way around. Ron Coburn was put on this planet to run a gun company.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-02-2012, 12:14 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

That's a shame.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:58 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5932 Times on 3355 Posts
Likes Given: 5484

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
That's a shame.
Since the 300 has no practical application except as a SpecOps weapon, that makes perfect sense to me.

The round actually has no more power than a .357 magnum handgun.

Winston Churchill

Old 05-02-2012, 04:30 PM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 12

There are plenty of other manufacturers that are producing accurate barrels, I wonder why that is?

Savage set themselves up for failure from the beginning by using a 20", 1:10 twist barrel, no wonder it wouldn't stabilize subsonics. I call that stupid, not noble.

My 9.5", 1:8 twist Core15 upper stabilizes 220 gr. rounds just fine.

I mostly deer hunt creek bottoms where 50 yards is a long shot. I look forward to having a light weight, compact, low recoiling platform that launches 30 cal. projectiles from an AR.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingTiger View Post
There are plenty of other manufacturers that are producing accurate barrels, I wonder why that is?
Perhaps you and Savage are worlds apart on the definition of the word accuracy.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:40 PM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

You mean like this?

Old 05-02-2012, 05:54 PM   #7

That's not bad. However Savage specifically stated the issues they were having was with slow moving heavy bullets. 147 grains is somewhat light.

"Accuracy with the lighter, faster loads in this caliber was actually quite good"

Old 05-02-2012, 06:33 PM   #8

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt View Post
That's not bad. However Savage specifically stated the issues they were having was with slow moving heavy bullets. 147 grains is somewhat light.

"Accuracy with the lighter, faster loads in this caliber was actually quite good"
Bills right most target shooters are looking at heavier bullets for longer distances . Same reason they dont make a rifle 7.62X39

Old 05-02-2012, 10:39 PM   #9

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

The new Handi-Rifle coming out in 300 BLK will use a 1:7 twist. They went with the faster twist to stabilize 240 gr. cast bullets.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:58 PM   #10

Liked 184 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 185

I like savage, I like that they actually came out and told use what they didn't like that says a lot for a company. I didn't mind the 300 it was an ok round.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED