Savage???
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Savage???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2011, 08:25 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Default Savage???

I've been kinda out of the latest and greatest of guns lately because I have shot a lot of archery. Now I am bored of archery and back to guns. When I last bought a rifle, Savage was a descent gun but I always regarded Remingtons and Weatherby's to be a little nicer. I am hearing things now that people are saying the Savage's have really stepped up their performance and quality and the Remington and Weatherby's have kinda come back to the pack a little bit. Anybody got any info or input on this one? I'm looking for a reasonably priced 22 250 so I am just kinda of weighing my options. Thanks for any input you might have.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-02-2011, 08:34 PM   #2

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Savage rifles are probably the best bang for the buck. Always have been, but they now have a cult following.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 05-02-2011, 09:21 PM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Savages are great guns... well... they are very accurate guns. Which is all that really matters imo, that and weight. When it comes to bolt actions anyway, they are pretty hard to make unreliable

Also, Savage has so many different models now its like getting an ar-15 you can pay as much or as little as you want... unlike ar15s you will always get a quality firearm regardless of which model you get.

Sidenote: 22-250 has better steel penetration than a .30-06 inside of 150yards... food for thought

Check out my blog:http://ithinkforme.blogspot.com/

Old 05-02-2011, 09:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory2 View Post
Savages are great guns... well... they are very accurate guns. Which is all that really matters imo, that and weight. When it comes to bolt actions anyway, they are pretty hard to make unreliable

Also, Savage has so many different models now its like getting an ar-15 you can pay as much or as little as you want... unlike ar15s you will always get a quality firearm regardless of which model you get.

Sidenote: 22-250 has better steel penetration than a .30-06 inside of 150yards... food for thought
I got a 7mm Rem Mag that I use for most big game. Best gun I've ever bought, it's just comfortable to me and I shoot it well. I am going for a a 22-250 for a few prairie dogs here and there, some coyotes, and for meat hunting. I want to put a high power scope on it and plop some does in the head.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:09 PM   #5

savage is a great buy for the $$$ IMO

I really like the accutrigger in there rimfire rifles...............I love my winchester wildcat but wish I would have got a savage after shooting one. my wildcat is crazy accurate for a $220 russian made riffle but that accutrigger that savage has works great IMO as the one I shot was an even more ridiculously accurate riffle for that price range.

Last edited by shooter57; 05-02-2011 at 10:14 PM.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:45 AM   #6
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1233 Times on 701 Posts
Likes Given: 589

You can't go wrong with a Savage.I have 5 of them.

If you want a great shooting rifle,take a look at the Model 12.They have a 26" heavy barrel and they are tack drivers.If that is a little to heavy for you,the Model 14-Blued,or the Model 16-Stainless are also great rifles with a 22" traditional Tapered barrel.You will lose a little accuracy and fps with the taper barrel,but unless you get it really hot,they still are very accurate.

Old 05-03-2011, 02:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
You can't go wrong with a Savage.I have 5 of them.

If you want a great shooting rifle,take a look at the Model 12.They have a 26" heavy barrel and they are tack drivers.If that is a little to heavy for you,the Model 14-Blued,or the Model 16-Stainless are also great rifles with a 22" traditional Tapered barrel.You will lose a little accuracy and fps with the taper barrel,but unless you get it really hot,they still are very accurate.
I have no intention to carry this rifle long distances at all, it is strictly a bipod gun so weight isn't a big issue, actually, would prefer the heaviness. Sounds like a dandy of a gun to me. Put a high mag scope on and start filling the freezer.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:10 AM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

I bought a Remington 700 for my most recent bolt gun. IT WAS TOTAL CRAP!!! A co-worker bought a Savage Edge (both were .300 win mag) around the same time. . . he is still happily shooting his rifle and took game with it this season.

Mine on the other hand was sold as quickly as possible (for a loss of course) in order to fund a decent project. My 1st AR build. . .

Old 05-03-2011, 01:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
I bought a Remington 700 for my most recent bolt gun. IT WAS TOTAL CRAP!!! A co-worker bought a Savage Edge (both were .300 win mag) around the same time. . . he is still happily shooting his rifle and took game with it this season.

Mine on the other hand was sold as quickly as possible (for a loss of course) in order to fund a decent project. My 1st AR build. . .
What was wrong with the Remington 700 that made it crap?

Old 05-03-2011, 02:07 PM   #10

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Uh oh, this is going to get ugly fast now....

inb4flamewar

Check out my blog:http://ithinkforme.blogspot.com/