Savage .308 Sell or keep?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Savage .308 Sell or keep?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2012, 02:08 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I currently have a savage axis .308 stainless steel with a redfield 4 to 12 zoom scope. I haven't had a whole lot of shooting experience with rifles, shotguns are my history but i want to extend to long distance target shooting and hunting. I am wondering if this setup is really something i can work with. I am also concerned about articles i have read... it is said that it is a throw away gun? And i don't know how to properly zero a scope either, i tried but i failed.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-22-2012, 02:17 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22027 Times on 12418 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMan2008 View Post
I currently have a savage axis .308 stainless steel with a redfield 4 to 12 zoom scope. I haven't had a whole lot of shooting experience with rifles, shotguns are my history but i want to extend to long distance target shooting and hunting. I am wondering if this setup is really something i can work with. I am also concerned about articles i have read... it is said that it is a throw away gun? And i don't know how to properly zero a scope either, i tried but i failed.
the Savage Axis is not a throw-away gun by any means and they are dang accurate rifles. very well made and decently priced. as far as long distance target rifle for a beginning rifle shooter, it's a good one to start with to learn how to shoot as long as you realize it's not a 1000 yard rifle or cartridge! but IMO, it's a good rifle to learn the basics and is pretty accurate if you take time to find ammo that works well in it and learn to do your part. as a hunting rifle, it's a very good one to hunt with.

i know how to zero a scope, but i would suck at being able to explain it to you and would more than likely have you more confused than you are already!

Old 12-22-2012, 02:21 AM   #3

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Axe, tell me why 308 isn't a 1000 yard cartridge?

The axis is OK. You can uprgade it. New bbl, trigger, stock, scope. Now it's a 1000 yard gun.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 12-22-2012, 02:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed

The axis is OK. You can uprgade it. New bbl, trigger, stock, scope. Now it's a 1000 yard gun.
I was told it couldn't be upgraded with a new trigger i researched that, and whats a bbl? Is my redfield scope subpar?

Old 12-22-2012, 02:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post

this may sound confusing, so bear with me here. it is and it isn't. in the hands of a very talented shooter, yes the 308 can be a 1000 yard cartridge. but i also believe there are better choices for shooting that long a distance. also it takes premium ammo or some very good reloads that are dialed in to the rifle being used. history has shown that the 308 can be used very well at 1000 yards, but these were also very talented shooters who knew ballistics of the rifles they were shooting.

for a beginner learning and shooting, the 308 is a good cartridge to learn with because of the mild recoil and the cheaper cost to shoot than other cartridges, which can translate into more practicing their shooting.

upgrading the Axis, yes it could end up being a 1000 yard rifle with a talented shooter behind the trigger.

Old 12-22-2012, 02:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

this may sound confusing, so bear with me here. it is and it isn't. in the hands of a very talented shooter, yes the 308 can be a 1000 yard cartridge. but i also believe there are better choices for shooting that long a distance. also it takes premium ammo or some very good reloads that are dialed in to the rifle being used. history has shown that the 308 can be used very well at 1000 yards, but these were also very talented shooters who knew ballistics of the rifles they were shooting.

for a beginner learning and shooting, the 308 is a good cartridge to learn with because of the mild recoil and the cheaper cost to shoot than other cartridges, which can translate into more practicing their shooting.

upgrading the Axis, yes it could end up being a 1000 yard rifle with a talented shooter behind the trigger.
I don't see how it can be upgraded i did a lot of research and found that there isnt anything to upgrade on this rifle

Old 12-22-2012, 02:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMan2008 View Post
I don't see how it can be upgraded i did a lot of research and found that there isnt anything to upgrade on this rifle
just about any firearm can be upgraded if one has a very good gunsmith and plenty of money.

Old 12-22-2012, 03:05 AM   #8

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Your axis has the savage barrel nut. This makes upgrading the barrel very affordable, and quick.

Any trigger can be stoned, or replaced. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/138213/timney-trigger-savage-edge-axis-steel-black

Your scope is not good enough for long range. Period. My long range scope runs about $1100, and that's a cheap one.

As it sits, you've got a good 4-500 yard hunting rifle. OR, a gun that needs about $14-1600 put into it for long range.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Last edited by willfully armed; 12-22-2012 at 03:10 AM.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-22-2012, 03:10 AM   #9

Liked 2208 Times on 1517 Posts
Likes Given: 820

I would enjoy the axis just as it is now. It will make a great hunting rifle for many years to come. The 308 is a long distance cartridge. One of the longest sniper kills on record was made with a 308. Ethical big game hunting is a 300 yard proposition. It's not that a 308 can't make clean kills at longer distances. Recovering game shot at longer distances is very difficult.

Practice with a 22 or even a quality pellet rifle applies to shooting bore rifles. If you can hold a 22 steady enough to hit a bottle cap at 40 yards, you can make some long shots with the axis.

Old 12-22-2012, 03:15 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer
I would enjoy the axis just as it is now. It will make a great hunting rifle for many years to come. The 308 is a long distance cartridge. One of the longest sniper kills on record was made with a 308. Ethical big game hunting is a 300 yard proposition. It's not that a 308 can't make clean kills at longer distances. Recovering game shot at longer distances is very difficult.

Practice with a 22 or even a quality pellet rifle applies to shooting bore rifles. If you can hold a 22 steady enough to hit a bottle cap at 40 yards, you can make some long shots with the axis.
I certainly can i have one of those rotating spoon target things in sets if 3 and i peg those with 22s all day long, i hit little varmints with that 22 for years. I just cant seem to keep er steady enough while looking through the scope