Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   savage 110 7mm (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/savage-110-7mm-99943/)

rob1990 11-05-2013 12:48 AM

savage 110 7mm
 
I just got a savage 110 7mm rem mag. If I get a decent scope will this be any good at 600-1000yards or will I just be wasting my money? Any suggestions on anything that'd be best to add to it?

chloeshooter 11-05-2013 02:15 AM

The question would become: are you any good as a shooter? 7mm rem mag can handle that distance, no problem

Axxe55 11-05-2013 03:58 AM

i have to agree with chloeshooter. the 7mm Mag can go the distance. it will depend upon your abilities as a shooter. the 7mm Mag. has excellent ballistics.

another question, are you a reloader or are you going to shoot nothing but factory ammo? premium 7mm Mag. ammo isn't going to be cheap.

what is your experiance with shooting magnum calibers? the 7mm Mag isn't a lightweight as far as recoil.

rob1990 11-05-2013 04:19 PM

This is my first magnum I'm used to shooting a 30-06 and I'm a decent shot. However I don't reload. So ill be trying to find decent facttory ammo. Can anyone recommend some? Was think maybe hornady would be my best bet?

chloeshooter 11-05-2013 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob1990 (Post 1423461)
This is my first magnum I'm used to shooting a 30-06 and I'm a decent shot. However I don't reload. So ill be trying to find decent facttory ammo. Can anyone recommend some? Was think maybe hornady would be my best bet?

If you can handle the 30-06, the 7mm is not a big increase in recoil from my experience. If it has a wood stock with no recoil pad, um, maybe different story...

Wanna save money and maybe surprise yourself? Start with the 'cheap' stuff (Corelockt, Federal, $28/20 cartridges) and work your way up. A lot of the extra money you pay for 'premium' ammo does nothing more than goes straight to the manufacturer's bottom line. There ARE ripoffs a plenty in the firearms world.

Also, given the big-time heat generated by a round like that, make sure you give yourself cool-down time between shots. As in, plenty. It does not take much heat/warping to completely miss paper with ANY regular-to-thin walled barreled rifle at the distances you wish to shoot

By the way, what is your budget for a scope?

rob1990 11-05-2013 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chloeshooter (Post 1423532)

If you can handle the 30-06, the 7mm is not a big increase in recoil from my experience. If it has a wood stock with no recoil pad, um, maybe different story...

Wanna save money and maybe surprise yourself? Start with the 'cheap' stuff (Corelockt, Federal, $28/20 cartridges) and work your way up. A lot of the extra money you pay for 'premium' ammo does nothing more than goes straight to the manufacturer's bottom line. There ARE ripoffs a plenty in the firearms world.

Also, given the big-time heat generated by a round like that, make sure you give yourself cool-down time between shots. As in, plenty. It does not take much heat/warping to completely miss paper with ANY regular-to-thin walled barreled rifle at the distances you wish to shoot

By the way, what is your budget for a scope?

At the moment around $150 bucks for a scope I know that's not much but its all I have at the moment.

jpattersonnh 11-05-2013 10:15 PM

Funny, I posted here and on another forum about things that frustrate new shooters. You are heading that way now. I also have a Savage 110 in 7mm Rem Mag. Recoil is close to a .30-06, get a good recoil pad and your shooting will improve. Can the 7MM Rem Mag shoot at 1000 yards, yes. Can the 110 w/ a sporter barrel. Maybe. You are taking a base hunting rifle and asking if it can shoot competition distance. There is your answer. 400 yards is practical for an experienced shooter. Factory ammo really limits your results also.
My Savage seems to like flat based bullets best as they get heavier. Does your rifle have a plastic stock?? Flat or round receiver?? Accu-trigger?? What is the letter at the beginning of the serial number??

Axxe55 11-05-2013 10:54 PM

Chloeshooter and JP are giving you some really good advice. ammo? you're just going to have try out a bunch until you find something that shoots well in your rifle. might be the cheaper factory ammo, or it might be the more expensive premium ammo.

$150 is not enough for a scope to shoot 1000 yards. here's a rule of thumb i use, you can't hit, what you can't see. $150 scopes are not made to shoot 1000 yards. the lenses are not near quality enough and they lack the adjustment to get on target.

gunnut07 11-06-2013 02:28 AM

$500 is about as low as I would go for TRYING to shoot anything over 600 yards.

Like axxe said glass is not very good and adjustments for shooting anything over 500 yards need to be spot on every time all the time so you can use them. If you are wanting to shoot 1000 yards think about it like this. If your scope is supposed to have 1/4moa clicks at 100 yards that is roughly 1/4" at 100 1/2" at 200 3/4" at 300 on out to for ever. 1" at 100 yards is 10" at 1000 yards. A rifle that produces 1" groups at 100 yards doesn't mean it will produce 10" groups at 1k yards it doesn't mean it will produce 5" groups at 500 yards either.

There is a reason why you don't see any wood stocks on the lines at F-Class or Palma matches. You are trying to take a package Savage rifle and shoot at long range. You are going to do nothing but frustrate yourself.

rob1990 11-07-2013 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpattersonnh (Post 1423798)
Funny, I posted here and on another forum about things that frustrate new shooters. You are heading that way now. I also have a Savage 110 in 7mm Rem Mag. Recoil is close to a .30-06, get a good recoil pad and your shooting will improve. Can the 7MM Rem Mag shoot at 1000 yards, yes. Can the 110 w/ a sporter barrel. Maybe. You are taking a base hunting rifle and asking if it can shoot competition distance. There is your answer. 400 yards is practical for an experienced shooter. Factory ammo really limits your results also.
My Savage seems to like flat based bullets best as they get heavier. Does your rifle have a plastic stock?? Flat or round receiver?? Accu-trigger?? What is the letter at the beginning of the serial number??

Plastic stock. The letter is F. No accutrigger. Not sure on the reciever


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:17 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.