Savage 11 VT
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Savage 11 VT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2014, 05:24 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Savage 11 VT

Considering this rifle but there isn't much out there about it. It's a Dick's exclusive, Savage 11 with DBM, 24" heavy contoured barrel, free floating, with accutrigger and Bushnell 4x12. Stock is also something I've never seen on another Savage. Coming from Savage I just assume it's gonna be a tack driver which is what I'm looking for. Paper punching, varmint, and coyote would be the main uses. Not overly concerned with the scope as it would most likely be replaced in short time. Any first hand experiences? At $499 and many features I was looking for. It's winning the race of considerations between Savage 10,12 and Rem 700 sps tac and 700 varmint. Mainly because of price point. Any reason I should be talked out of it? My main concern is any shortcuts or differences because it is a retailers exclusive that render it sub par compared to the other Savages. Has anybody had a chance to pull the trigger on one of these?

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-09-2014, 06:52 PM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21996 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
Considering this rifle but there isn't much out there about it. It's a Dick's exclusive, Savage 11 with DBM, 24" heavy contoured barrel, free floating, with accutrigger and Bushnell 4x12. Stock is also something I've never seen on another Savage. Coming from Savage I just assume it's gonna be a tack driver which is what I'm looking for. Paper punching, varmint, and coyote would be the main uses. Not overly concerned with the scope as it would most likely be replaced in short time. Any first hand experiences? At $499 and many features I was looking for. It's winning the race of considerations between Savage 10,12 and Rem 700 sps tac and 700 varmint. Mainly because of price point. Any reason I should be talked out of it? My main concern is any shortcuts or differences because it is a retailers exclusive that render it sub par compared to the other Savages. Has anybody had a chance to pull the trigger on one of these?

usually venders exclusives are just a combination of certain features not usually put together in that particular combination. as a vender, they can order several thousands for many stores so they can special order them like that where a small LGS can't because they can't sell that many like a big chain store can. i don't think they would be selling sub-par rifles in their stores.

i see nothing wrong with the combination, and for the price, i don't think you wil go wrong at all. the Savage rifles have an excellent reputation for accuracy and seriously doubt this one will be anything less than accurate for your needs, once you find a good load it likes. personally i don't think you would be disappointed in buying this rifle. it sounds like it should work just fine. the only possible weak link might be the scope.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:33 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2146 Times on 1473 Posts
Likes Given: 798

For $499 I can find a savage with a nikon scope. What caliber is the dicks gun?

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine

Old 02-09-2014, 11:01 PM   #4

Liked 53 Times on 33 Posts

Savage 10, 110, 11, 111, 14, 114, 16, 116 are all the same action with all the same trigger and barrel. 2 digits short action 3 digits long action. The 16 and 116 are stainless. They all have Accutriggers unless they are OLDER models. The variations are in the Stock or some other feature.

The model 12 is a different action and is a higher grade action used on Varmit and long range target rifles. But again with the same Accutrigger.

My son and I own a mid 1960's 30-06 110DL in a custom Fajen Walnut stock, A 30-06 Model 111 Trophy XP package, And a .243 Model 12VLP DBM.

All of which are dead on accurate rifles the 1960's model 110 was built by our Dad when he was discussing the gun control act of 1968 with his buddies and over the years has harvested dozens of Blacktail deer and a few mulies. As will as thousands of rounds at the Gun Club range. And it will shoot a 1"- group from the bench all day long.

My Model 12VLP DBM is a flat out nasty varmit rifle capable of 600+ yard shots on rabbits and Coyotes. It takes everything the 4-16X Mueller scope can find it with ease.

Old 02-09-2014, 11:25 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
For $499 I can find a savage with a nikon scope. What caliber is the dicks gun?

They are available in .223 and .308. Thanks for the replies

Old 02-10-2014, 01:28 AM   #6
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1255 Times on 712 Posts
Likes Given: 598

Quote:
Originally Posted by awahlster View Post
Savage 10, 110, 11, 111, 14, 114, 16, 116 are all the same action with all the same trigger and barrel. 2 digits short action 3 digits long action. The 16 and 116 are stainless. They all have Accutriggers unless they are OLDER models. The variations are in the Stock or some other feature.

The model 12 is a different action and is a higher grade action used on Varmit and long range target rifles. But again with the same Accutrigger.

My son and I own a mid 1960's 30-06 110DL in a custom Fajen Walnut stock, A 30-06 Model 111 Trophy XP package, And a .243 Model 12VLP DBM.

All of which are dead on accurate rifles the 1960's model 110 was built by our Dad when he was discussing the gun control act of 1968 with his buddies and over the years has harvested dozens of Blacktail deer and a few mulies. As will as thousands of rounds at the Gun Club range. And it will shoot a 1"- group from the bench all day long.

My Model 12VLP DBM is a flat out nasty varmit rifle capable of 600+ yard shots on rabbits and Coyotes. It takes everything the 4-16X Mueller scope can find it with ease.
Wrong!

There are still a few different model 11/111's that do not have the Accutrigger.
The model 12 "Target models" action is different,it has 3 action screws,and is a single shot action.
But the other model 12's are the same two action screw receivers/triggers as any of the standard hunting models. Most model 12's have a Stainless Steel action and 26" barrel,but the FV and FLV model 12's are polished blued receivers/barrels

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 02-10-2014, 01:42 AM   #7
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1255 Times on 712 Posts
Likes Given: 598

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxter View Post

As with all "Package" guns,the scope is junk.
I love Savage rifles,but I throw every factory composite stock in the trash as soon as I take them out of the box anymore. The factory composite stocks are the weak link on almost every factory rifle-They all suck!

That's a pretty good deal on that rifle,it's basically a 10FP with a DBM stock.

Buy a decent stock for it,and put quality optics on it,and that rifle will shoot sub-moa groups all day long,if you can do your part behind the trigger and shoot good ammo,not the surplus junk everyone wants to buy because it's cheap.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Axxe55 Likes This