Savage 11 Trophy Hunter XP or Marlin X7S?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Savage 11 Trophy Hunter XP or Marlin X7S?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 02:51 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Savage 11 Trophy Hunter XP or Marlin X7S?

Looking to get a .243 and I am stuck on which gun to get. I think I have narrowed it down to the Savage 11 Trophy Hunter XP, or the Marlin X7S. I can get the Savage 11 for about $490, and I can get the Marlin for $360. Both have adjustable trigger, I just don't know which one is the better? Both come with a scope, the savage has a nikon prostaff, the Marlin has a bushnell. Both scopes are 3x9, but I was told that the nikon was worth a good deal more. Is it enough to make a 130 difference??

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-27-2013, 03:16 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21191 Times on 12039 Posts
Likes Given: 52911

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayan_in_idaho View Post
Looking to get a .243 and I am stuck on which gun to get. I think I have narrowed it down to the Savage 11 Trophy Hunter XP, or the Marlin X7S. I can get the Savage 11 for about $490, and I can get the Marlin for $360. Both have adjustable trigger, I just don't know which one is the better? Both come with a scope, the savage has a nikon prostaff, the Marlin has a bushnell. Both scopes are 3x9, but I was told that the nikon was worth a good deal more. Is it enough to make a 130 difference??
both are great rifles. but my preference is the Marlin. they just shoulder better for me. IMO, the Marlin is also a better value than the Savage with the amount of features they have.

personally i would forego the scope. most of them in acombo deal are just okay scopes. you can do much better and still not spend a fortune.

i have three of the Marlin X7's. a XS7 in 7mm-08, a XL7C in 25-06 and the XS7VH in 308. they are very accurate, well built and a pleasure to shoot. they have adjustable triggers that can go down to about 3 lbs., excellent recoil pads, pillar bedded stocks and are decently priced.

i have owned a few Savages over the years and still have one left, but i truly like the Marlins better. if you choose the Savage, you will still end up with a very good rifle that's very accurate and well made. good luck.